Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 Backhaul Satellite Issue?

n4cho
Apprentice

RBR50 Backhaul Satellite Issue?

I have two satelites (RBS50) connected to my RBR50.  One of these is wired via an ethernet cable run back to a switch which is connected to the RBR50.

The wires sattelite is connected and devices connect to it without issue however it isnt listed as a satellite in the attached devices tab.  Instead it is listed as an attached device which has a wired connection.  Its mostly annoying but I was curious if anyone else has this issue?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 Backhaul Satellite Issue?

What FW is currently loaded?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch if one is in the configuration.

Daisy Chaing disabled? It should be for wired RBS connections. 

Single SSID broadcast? 

Message 2 of 7
n4cho
Apprentice

Thanks for the reply - here are the details.

I am running firmware 2.3.1.60.

the orbi is in router mode.

The managed switch is an engenius ews7928p.  Stp is set to stp per this - https://forum1.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Ethernet-Backhaul-with-Managed-Switches/td-p/1613897

i can see that all traffic is routing through the Ethernet port on this switch connected to the orbi.

Daisy chain is disabled.

i do have a single ssid for wireless.

Cheers,

Message 3 of 7
Arthur_Dent74
Aspirant

I have the same issue with the .60 firmware in AP mode. Tech support has been useless.
Message 4 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

IF this is a managed switch, go in and disable ALL IGMP protcols on the switch. ALso ensure this switch doesn't have any Green Ethernet features. IGMP and Green Ethernet is not compatible with Orbi. STP configuration doesn't meatter on managed switches. It's the IGMP protocols that conflict.

@n4cho wrote:

Thanks for the reply - here are the details.

I am running firmware 2.3.1.60.

the orbi is in router mode.

The managed switch is an engenius ews7928p.  Stp is set to stp per this - https://forum1.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-Ethernet-Backhaul-with-Managed-Switches/td-p/1613897

i can see that all traffic is routing through the Ethernet port on this switch connected to the orbi.

Daisy chain is disabled.

i do have a single ssid for wireless.

Cheers,

Message 5 of 7
n4cho
Apprentice

IGM was and is disabled and the switch isnt a "green" switch.  I diconected the wire from the sattellite and it showed back up as a sattellite.  

Replaced the wire and now it won't connect over the wire LOL.  Guess Ill wait a couple more months 🙂

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

I connected a RBS 50 yesterday to the RBR50 I have, in ap mode. The RBS50 is wired to the RBR50. Daisy Chain disabled. RBS is connected via LAN cable thru 5 switches, and is listed as a connected satellite. Though in the RBRs UI, it's listed as connected by 5G. Smiley Frustrated I was running a speed test and I would tell I was connected to the RBS as the speed test was running I saw the LED activity on 1 switch was contant. Then stopped after the speedtest was over. So a far as I could tell, the RBS was working via wired back haul. I would presume there maybe some odd behaviors with v60. 

I would try a different non managed, non green switch as a test to compare if problem continues or not. Could be something particular with your switch. 

@n4cho wrote:

IGM was and is disabled and the switch isnt a "green" switch.  I diconected the wire from the sattellite and it showed back up as a sattellite.  

Replaced the wire and now it won't connect over the wire LOL.  Guess Ill wait a couple more months 🙂

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7