Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 Backhaul Unreliable

lando786
Aspirant

RBR50 Backhaul Unreliable

I'm having a lot of issues with my RBS50 sattelite not being able to have a consistent connection to the RBR. Backhaul status was repeatedly switches between config sync and good while on wireless backhaul so I tried switching over to a wired backhaul and that's still having the same problem. It will swtich between good and config sync all the time and sometimes disappears from the list all together.

I see many other have this issue with  the Solved answer followed by more questions saying it stopped working shortly after. Is there a definite fix for this or should I just bin this router and get an eero?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 Backhaul Unreliable

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Some config sync issues stem from users separating the SSID on the RBR which is not supported. Have you done this? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
McSmarte
Tutor

I had issues a while back before they updated the firmware. But have recently experienced problems again. Tried the latest 2 firmware (something 38 and hotfix 40) versions and definitely agree that it has gotten worse. I had a timer on the router so it would reset every night, but lately that has stopped having an effect also. I also downgraded the firmware to the version I was running 3 months ago, but it's no better.
I just bought some cable and thought I was going to pull that once and for all, but you're saying that doesn't even work either?
My satellite will show up in the list of attached devices on the router, sometimes the connection described as poor or good, doesn't matter. If I try to log in to the satellite while being connected on the router, it might take 30-45 seconds if it works, faster when connected through the satellite. But being on the satellite internet and internal IP traffic to the router is SLOW in the kilobytes per second, if it even works.
I have not had a product ever that has been given this many FW updates and being so bad, its unbelievable.
I solved my situation by unplugging my satellite permanently - seriously. The speed is not great in the corners of the house, but it works much better than having the satellite pretend that it's connected.
Either we all have faulty satellite units or the Netgear firmware engineers need to school money back. But how difficult can it be to keep a Wi-Fi connection open and working between two points?
I really wondering about returning it with a complaint and get some other brand that works. It's not under warranty anymore, I'm just pissed. Quality issue with either the satellite HW itself or firmware, I don't know, but there are quite many people on this forum complaining.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Some config sync issues stem from users separating the SSID on the RBR which is not supported. Have you done this? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

Message 3 of 5
lando786
Aspirant

I have separated SSIDs, didn't think that would be an issue since that's normal in pretty much every other router I've used in the last 5+ years. I'll try factory resetting and starting from scratch, I guess, if that's a no go I'll just sell this and get something decent.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Please try the back haul with out separating the SSID. The system works best as it was designed. 

NG doesn't support this and it's not what NG intended nor how NG designed the system to work. You can if you wish to however doing so will be problematic as you are now seeing and having problems with. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7