Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 Compatible Extender

WSR
Tutor
Tutor

RBR50 Compatible Extender

I have a RBR50 with the router and one satellite and need to extend the signal to a detached garage.  The garage isn't too far away and the Orbi signal actually works out there but it a bit spotty.  Buying another satellite for $250 seems expensive, so I was looking at a plan old extender, even if it switches network names (meaning it doesn't need to a be mesh router).  Would a Nighthawk AC1900 (EX7000) fill this need?  Or would you recommend something else for about the same price point (~ $140 new)? 

Thank you in advance.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the distance from the house to the garage? Anything past 50-60 feet will be to far for Orbi or any extender. 

Buried LAN cable would be best...

Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

As @FURRYe38 points out, distance is the important factor.  If you are willing to give up "the mesh", then there are a host of extenders that might be suitable.  You could even start with a Netgear EX3700 at about $40USD (Amazon).  It doesn't even have to be from Netgear.

Message 3 of 5
WSR
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you for the responses!

The garage is only about 20 - 30 feet away and the Orbi signal currently reaches out there, but it drops off on the far end of the garage.  I had an old Linksys RE6500 Extender out there that worked great but it recently died.  I was hoping to buy an Orbi Satellite for the Mesh technology but they are expensive and they seem to be in short supply nowadays, which is odd because I bought my system only 16 months ago.  I am also concerned about the heat since the garage will get pretty warm during the summer.

It seems I can get any decent extender that is not too expensive.  That way, if it is the heat the killed the extender after several years, I would rather not spend too much money on it as long as it does the job; even withouth the mesh network technology.

I love the Orbi in the house though.  It works great and was a great investment!

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

That kind of distance, you should be able to Daisy Chain a RBS placed out in the garage...

@WSR wrote:

Thank you for the responses!

The garage is only about 20 - 30 feet away and the Orbi signal currently reaches out there, but it drops off on the far end of the garage.  I had an old Linksys RE6500 Extender out there that worked great but it recently died.  I was hoping to buy an Orbi Satellite for the Mesh technology but they are expensive and they seem to be in short supply nowadays, which is odd because I bought my system only 16 months ago.  I am also concerned about the heat since the garage will get pretty warm during the summer.

It seems I can get any decent extender that is not too expensive.  That way, if it is the heat the killed the extender after several years, I would rather not spend too much money on it as long as it does the job; even withouth the mesh network technology.

I love the Orbi in the house though.  It works great and was a great investment!

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7