Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 Connecting 2.4 GHZ and 5 GHZ Devices

GMiner429
Aspirant

RBR50 Connecting 2.4 GHZ and 5 GHZ Devices

I just got an Orbi RBR50 system with a single satellite. I knew going into it I'd have to separate the SSID's which I've done. The issue I'm having is even with the SSID's separated only one is working at a given time now. For instance, if I have the 5GHZ SSID name listed in the router program the the 2.4 GHZ SSID is not an available choice on my iPhone. As a result, my 2.4 GHZ only devices will not work. If I change the router program to showing the 2.4 GHZ SSID my iPhone will connect to that and the 2.4 GHZ devices work great. This means every device in my home has to be on 2.4 GHZ. So having split the SSID's made it so I can use the 2.4 GHZ only devices but I get zero advantage of having the 5 GHZ system. 

I'm not a tech guy, just someone trying to upgrade as new tech comes out. Please hope but I need specifics. 

Message 1 of 14
plemans
Guru

Re: RBR50 Connecting 2.4 GHZ and 5 GHZ Devices

Seperating out the SSID's isn't support and can make things work unreliably. Kind of like you're getting.

Is there a reason you want them seperated out? 

Message 2 of 14
GMiner429
Aspirant

Yes, I have multiple 2.4 GHZ only devices that will not connect otherwise to the best of my knowledge. Some of the devices are OK, but those that need to connect through my iPhone will not connect, for example several WiFi sockets I have from Leviton. 

Message 3 of 14
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

Try this method which works for most IoT devices that require your smart phone to also be on the 2.4GHz frequency to configure their WiFi.

1. Launch a web browser from a computer or mobile device that is connected to the Orbi network.
2. Enter orbilogin.com or 192.168.1.1 (IP address of your router's LAN port).
3. The login window opens, enter username "admin" and the password that you configured for your router.
4. Click Advanced tab > Advanced Setup > Wireless Settings.
5. Uncheck the box "Broadcast SSID" for the 5GHz frequency and click Apply to save the settings.
6. Confirm that your smartphone is connected to the 2.4GHz frequency. If it is still connected to the 5GHz frequency, then "Forget" the WiFi network for your SSID, then reconnect to it and enter your SSID password. Now your smartphone should be on the 2.4GHz frequency.
7. Try connecting your IoT device to the Orbi network per its setup instructions.
8. If it works, re-enable the broadcast SSID option for the 5GHz frequency.
9. On your smartphone, turn WiFi off and back on again and it should reconnect to the strongest signal.
10. If your smartphone did not reconnect to the 5GHz frequency, then "Forget" the WiFi network again for your SSID, then reconnect to it and enter your SSID password.

I have this posted in the Tips and Tricks on this forum as well.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 4 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

@GMiner429 wrote:

Yes, I have multiple 2.4 GHZ only devices that will not connect otherwise to the best of my knowledge. Some of the devices are OK, but those that need to connect through my iPhone will not connect, for example several WiFi sockets I have from Leviton. 

It would be really helpful if you can identify these devices.  Is this the Leviton plug: https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-DW15P-1BW-Decora-Required-Assistant/dp/B07H3JVZJZ/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1... 

Message 5 of 14
GMiner429
Aspirant

Yes that is the Leviton smart plug. Another issue is a Reolink Pro secutiry camera. I've also had instability with Alexa devices. 

Message 6 of 14
GMiner429
Aspirant

Before doing this do I need to go back to only a single SSID name. Please remember I am not a tech Saavy guy. 

Message 7 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

@GMiner429 wrote:

Yes that is the Leviton smart plug. Another issue is a Reolink Pro secutiry camera. I've also had instability with Alexa devices. 

I will pick up the Leviton switch at Home Depot today.  Cameras are almost never a problem because they connect by generating a QR smart code and holding it in front of the camera.  I do not have Reolink Pro, but I have two of the original Reolink Argus cameras and they connected without issue.

Message 8 of 14
GMiner429
Aspirant

Originally the camera connected seemlessly. The issue came up when I went back to the 5GHZ SSID. Once my phone only saw that (2.4 GHZ) not in option list, I lost the ability to connect. To me the issue is on the phone, I get one or the other SSID. With my old (two days ago now) Nighthawk I always saw both networks now I understand the mesh units operate differently, but this seems a very difficult transition to a new technology. 

Message 9 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

I can now report that (1) Home Depot has almost no shoppers, and (2) the Leviton DW15P smart plug installs and functions correctly on my Orbi.  My Orbi has only one SSID for both 2.4G and 5G networks.  I installed the plug using a Sony Xperia smart phone connected to the Orbi at 5G.  I did not even have to resort to the "stop broadcasting SSID trick."  It now goes into my box of "Things that work fine with a single SSID."

As regards the camera, perhaps the issue is with the phone, however my money is on the issue being hacking the Orbi to split the SSID's.

My advice would be to "unhack" the Orbi, perhaps even do a fresh setup.  I sympathize that reconnecting a houseful of devices that are configured to two separate SSID's will be a chore.  My pick would be to make a list of devices that use each SSID and a rough calculation of how hard it will be to reconfigure each.  OR... return the Orbi and invest in a different system.

Message 10 of 14
GMiner429
Aspirant

My apologies, I have two Leviton devices. The model you confirmed is working the one that is not is a model DW3HL
Message 11 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

@GMiner429 wrote:
My apologies, I have two Leviton devices. The model you confirmed is working the one that is not is a model DW3HL

My Leviton DW3HL arrived from Amazon today.  (Home Depot had none in either store near me.)

Plugged it in.  Opened My Leviton app.  Selected to add a "Plug in".  App immediately found the DW3HL.  Asked if I wanted to add it to my account.  Transferred information.  "Connected to Cloud."  The app turns it on & off.  Adjusts dimmer with a slider.

I was initially surprised to see that the DW3HL has only a "two prong" outlet, but quickly realized that "things we can DIM" always come with two prong plugs (no ground).

My Sony smartphone remains connected to the Orbi at 5G.  I did nothing to the phone or to the Orbi to get this device set up.

If your dimmer did not set up, there is definitely a problem.  Is the smartphone running the Leviton app an Android or Apple?

Message 12 of 14
GMiner429
Aspirant

Unfortunately due to the COVID 19 issue I have retreated to my second home resulting in my inability to work on this for the next several weeks.  

Message 13 of 14
CrimpOn
Guru

Good move.  Be safe.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements