Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 - Connecting a device to 2.4GHz only

Steve001
Guide

RBR50 - Connecting a device to 2.4GHz only

How can I make sure that a device I'm pairing with my Orbi Router (RBR50) is only connecting to the 2.4 GHz Network (not the 5)?

(This device needs to be paired with the 2.4 GHz wifi.)

Thanks,

Steve

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 1 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

ORbi systems are based on automatic detection and connection to frequencies based on device support. Orbi systems us Smart Connect to get devices connected to the best mode and frequency based on signals and device support. It's all automatic.

Message 2 of 28
st_shaw
Master

@Steve001 wrote:

How can I make sure that a device I'm pairing with my Orbi Router (RBR50) is only connecting to the 2.4 GHz Network (not the 5)?

(This device needs to be paired with the 2.4 GHz wifi.)

Thanks,

Steve

See this thread.  Read it all the way through, as some people have had issues with later firmware versions and an alternate procedure was posted.  I'm not sure how/if this works with the latest firmware.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-to-set-a-separate-SSID-for-the-5-GHz-network-on-your-Orbi/...

Message 3 of 28
Steve001
Guide

Thanks, I'll read that link.

So what you're saying is that the Orbi should automatically link to 2.4 GHz, if the device can only see 2.4 GHz?  In other words, the Orbi won't continually try to push the 5 GHz connection to that device?

Message 4 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Correct. If client devices don’t support 5ghz, the device would not connect to that radio.
Message 5 of 28
st_shaw
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:
Correct. If client devices don’t support 5ghz, the device would not connect to that radio.

This is true.  However, I believe there are some devices that only talk 2.4 GHz which require setup from a phone or tablet, and that setup will not work unless the phone or tablet is also connected to 2.4 GHz.  The link I posted would help in that scenario.

Message 6 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume it should. Also should be able to connect any 2.4ghz device to the system without having to modify the Wi-Fi behavior. Hope it works at any rate.
Message 7 of 28
Steve001
Guide

Thanks for the ideas, but it didn't work for me.

I read the link and tried implementing the idea a few times.  I couldn't make it work.  One problem was getting into the Telnet address (portal) that was listed.  That never worked for me.  I suspect if I did a re-set on my Orbi router, then it might work (basically starting over again), but I didn't want to take a chance on doing that (since the router is working fine now, except for connecting to the 2.4 GHz camera).

I also tried a few other ideas that didn't work, like looking into the Basic and Advanced settings (online) to see if I could find a 2.4 GHz ID.  I even changed some of the settings so that I thought I turned off the 5 GHz setting, but that didn't help.

Netgear should make it easier to select either a 5 or 2.4 GHz setting for devices.

Once again, thanks for your help.

Message 8 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try a different router if you can't seem to get your device working as you need. The MESH system may not be in your best interests. The MESH system is a automatic system which connects devices to there best connect and frequecy based on client HW support. So if you have a devices that supports both 2.4Ghz and 5ghz, the MESH system, depending on various factors, will connect the device to the 5Ghz freqency if possible. which in most cases should be preferred and used. This is how MESH and Smart Connect systems work. On non MESH systems, you can disable Smart Connect and have separate SSIDs for each freqency. This maybe where you need to go.

Good Luck in your endeavours.

@Steve001 wrote:

Thanks for the ideas, but it didn't work for me.

I read the link and tried implementing the idea a few times.  I couldn't make it work.  One problem was getting into the Telnet address (portal) that was listed.  That never worked for me.  I suspect if I did a re-set on my Orbi router, then it might work (basically starting over again), but I didn't want to take a chance on doing that (since the router is working fine now, except for connecting to the 2.4 GHz camera).

I also tried a few other ideas that didn't work, like looking into the Basic and Advanced settings (online) to see if I could find a 2.4 GHz ID.  I even changed some of the settings so that I thought I turned off the 5 GHz setting, but that didn't help.

Netgear should make it easier to select either a 5 or 2.4 GHz setting for devices.

Once again, thanks for your help.

Message 9 of 28
Steve001
Guide

I had a router like that, just before Orbi, but I didn't really want to switch back to that.  I like the Orbi, except for this instance.  Instead, I'm going to return the indoor security camera and find one that works with the Orbi.  It doesn't make sense to me that the camera should be restricted to 2.4 GHz.  It seems like an archaic system.

(I still think the Orbi should be designed to recognize that a system won't accept 5 GHz, or give the option to restrict it to one or the other.  I realize it's supposed to work automatically, but the flexibility would make the system better.  I even tried going to the satellite that was supposedly working on 2.4 GHz, but that idea didn't work either.)

Message 10 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

Most cameras are not supportive of 5Ghz. I believe only a few are.

What is the mfr and model of this camera?

@Steve001 wrote:

I had a router like that, just before Orbi, but I didn't really want to switch back to that.  I like the Orbi, except for this instance.  Instead, I'm going to return the indoor security camera and find one that works with the Orbi.  It doesn't make sense to me that the camera should be restricted to 2.4 GHz.  It seems like an archaic system.

(I still think the Orbi should be designed to recognize that a system won't accept 5 GHz, or give the option to restrict it to one or the other.  I realize it's supposed to work automatically, but the flexibility would make the system better.  I even tried going to the satellite that was supposedly working on 2.4 GHz, but that idea didn't work either.)

Message 11 of 28
Steve001
Guide

It's the Yi Dome Camera 1080p HD Pan / Tilt / Zoom Wireless IP Security Surveillance System with Night Vision, Remote Monitor with iOS, Android App - Cloud Service Available

Sold by: YI Technology   Model:  FBA_93005

I didn't realize that about these security cameras.  I had an LG system that worked fine with Orbi.  Unfortunately LG discontinued their camera.

Do you know which cameras work with an automatic system like Orbi (e.g., Logitech, ZModo; I assume Nest does)?  I'll try to check into this when buying another camera.

Thanks.

Message 12 of 28
Steve001
Guide

I just took a quick look at two of the cameras.

It looks like the Logitech Circle supports both 2.4 and 5 GHz, but the Zmoda Pan Tilt does not (only 2.4 GHz, like the Yi).  I'll check into this further.

I wonder why they wouldn't support both (like the Logitech)?

Message 13 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

My 3 D-Link DCS series cameras work with my Orbi system. DCS-933L, 936L and 960L.

Message 14 of 28
Steve001
Guide

Thanks I'll check into those too.  I hadn't heard about them.

Message 15 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

There 2.4Ghz cameras. I believe there is one or two thats 5Ghz they have.

Message 16 of 28
Steve001
Guide

The D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD, 1080P Indoor Home Security Camera, Works with Apple HomeKit (DSH-C310/AN) seems like a nice one, but I can't tell if it supports both 2.4 and 5 GHz.  It has 2-way audio, which is important for me.

Message 17 of 28
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I can tell you how I did this.  Not sure if it'll work today due to changes in the FW.

My Lacrosse weather would only connect on 2.4g phone app.

Had to turn the 5g signal down as far it would go and unplug one of the sats.  This allowed the phone to connect 2.4g

Once the weather station was connected I put all settings back.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 18 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

I would contact D-Link support or maybe post over on there forums and ask about 5Ghz suppor. It's a newer camera and with 1080p, might have support for 5Ghz which is really needed for that kind of resolution. 

@Steve001 wrote:

The D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD, 1080P Indoor Home Security Camera, Works with Apple HomeKit (DSH-C310/AN) seems like a nice one, but I can't tell if it supports both 2.4 and 5 GHz.  It has 2-way audio, which is important for me.

Message 19 of 28
Steve001
Guide

Yep, if I go with that camera I'll check with D-Link first.

Message 20 of 28
Steve001
Guide

I tried something like that, trying to set up next to my 2.4 GHz satellite.  It didn't help.  I could try unplugging the 5 GHz satellite, but don't think I can turn the 5GHz signal down.  I did try turning it off.  Again, that didn't work.

Thanks for the ideas.

Message 21 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

I'll see if I can dig up some info on 5Ghz cameras as well.

@Steve001 wrote:

Message 22 of 28
Steve001
Guide

Thanks.

Message 23 of 28
FURRYe38
Guru

SH-C310 (Onma), DCS-935L, and DCS-2630L are the only ones that support 5Ghz.

@Steve001 wrote:

Message 24 of 28
Steve001
Guide

Yep, the first one is the one I was looking at (Omna).  I wrote these down and will check out the others.  Good angle of view (180), but poor App reviews.

It also looks like Amazon also has a new security camera that was fairly highly rated:  Amazon Cloud Cam Security Camera.  It supports networks that use the 802.11g/n (so I believe this includes the 5 GHz networks, but I'll check with Amazon).  Small angle of view (120).

Logitech Circle 2 will also work with 5 GHz.

I'm checking on Arlo Q (Netgear), just sent them an email.

Thanks for the update.

Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7