Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 Connectivity Problems

jprotzel
Aspirant

RBR50 Connectivity Problems

Hi.  I'm new to this forum.  I purchased an RBR50 with one satellite last September (2018).  I've had no problems until about 6 days ago.  I use Spectrum internet service.  Until a few days ago i was using a CISCO DPC3208 modem.  I started getting spotty service - service was dropping and then coming back.  I called Spectrum and they did a speed test which showed the service was fine.  They suggested it was a problem with the router.  I updated my ORBI firmware to V60 from V44.  This did not help.  They recommended upgrading my modem to see if it helped with the service.  The new modem is a Hitron Technologies E31N2V1.  I still have the same problems.  They did another speed test and said the service looks fine coming into their modem.  I am at a complete loss.  Any assistance would be invaluable.

Thank you.

Jeff

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

Could you describe how you detect service being spotty?  How frequently does this occur?  (several times an hour?  twice a day? etc.)

Message 2 of 17
jprotzel
Aspirant

I have service but it frequently takes much longer to load pages and, most importantly, the service drops entirely.  This happens frequently - it just happened while i was typing this reply.  I can't be on the internet for more than 5-10 minutes without slow or dropped service.

Message 3 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks.  So, this is a desktop computer (laptop? tablet? phone?) connected to the Orbi how (wired? WiFi?)  So, service drops "while you are typing", but how do you know?  Does the WiFi icon suddenly get an exclamation point in it indicating "no internet"?  Do you use Microsoft Outlook and see the message "Unable to connect to server"?

For example, if it happens to a wired desktop every 5-10 minutes, my first step would be to unplug the Orbi, wire the desktop directly to the Hitron, (restart the Hitron), and uset the desktop as before.

You mention Cisco and Hitron and then Spectrum says "their modem" is OK.  There is not another device in addition to the Hitron is there?

Message 4 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

You may not be alone.  There is at least one thread on Spectrum mentioning connection issues with this modem:

https://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Connectivity/Router-periodically-disconnects-from-Hitron-E31N2...

I, also, have this modem from Spectrum and have no issues.  What I found interesting in that thread were the comments about radio frequency interference, grounding, etc. etc.

Message 5 of 17
jprotzel
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

Thanks.  So, this is a desktop computer (laptop? tablet? phone?) connected to the Orbi how (wired? WiFi?)  So, service drops "while you are typing", but how do you know?  Does the WiFi icon suddenly get an exclamation point in it indicating "no internet"?  Do you use Microsoft Outlook and see the message "Unable to connect to server"?

It is a laptop (HP Spectre), but the drops and slowness occur on all devices (phones, ipads, etc).  All of the devices are WiFi.  The service typically drops after i submit a page or click on a button which requires an action.  I haven't seen an exclamation point appear on the WiFi icon in the tray.  I am using google chrome as a browser.  Eventually chrome will flash an error page on the screen - something to the effect of not being able to connect to server.

For example, if it happens to a wired desktop every 5-10 minutes, my first step would be to unplug the Orbi, wire the desktop directly to the Hitron, (restart the Hitron), and uset the desktop as before.

You mention Cisco and Hitron and then Spectrum says "their modem" is OK.  There is not another device in addition to the Hitron is there?  

The Hitron modem connects the Orbi RBR50 router directly.  I do have a laser printer wired to the Orbi router.  All other devices connect wirelessly to the router.  I also have a separate modem for voice service through Spectrum.  The signal comes into my house and runs to a splitter.  The signal is then split to the voice modem and the Hitron data modem.

Message 6 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

@jprotzel wrote:

The Hitron modem connects the Orbi RBR50 router directly. I also have a separate modem for voice service through Spectrum.  The signal comes into my house and runs to a splitter.  The signal is then split to the voice modem and the Hitron data modem.

Hmmmm.  My E32T2V1 provides both voice and data.  (Now that I look more closely, it is a different model number than yours.)   It had not occured to me that I could have separate modems for voice and data.  This must be a common installation, just news to me.

Does the laptop have an ethernet port?  Maybe it would be worth a try (after everyone else goes to bed!) to wire the laptop directly to the modem, restart the modem, and see what happens.  Do you see the modem restarting itself when the problem happens?

Message 7 of 17
jprotzel
Aspirant

@CrimpOn wrote:

@jprotzel wrote:

The Hitron modem connects the Orbi RBR50 router directly. I also have a separate modem for voice service through Spectrum.  The signal comes into my house and runs to a splitter.  The signal is then split to the voice modem and the Hitron data modem.

Hmmmm.  My E32T2V1 provides both voice and data.  (Now that I look more closely, it is a different model number than yours.)   It had not occured to me that I could have separate modems for voice and data.  This must be a common installation, just news to me.

The woman at the Spectrum office in my town said that some users have had problems with the voice service when using the E32T2V1 model and she suggested that i use two modems - my old one for voice and the Hitron for data.  Thats why i have two.  I did see i could use the Hitron for voice.  Do you think the splitter is an issue?

Does the laptop have an ethernet port?  Maybe it would be worth a try (after everyone else goes to bed!) to wire the laptop directly to the modem, restart the modem, and see what happens.  Do you see the modem restarting itself when the problem happens?

I will try to connect a laptop directly to the Hitron.  I did that once for Spectrum when they wanted me to test the speed - and it passed their test.  However, i didn't use it for a long time.  I haven't noticed that the modem restarts.  I don't think it does.

One other item i forgot to mention.  Spectrum suggested to me that perhaps i should change the wireless channel to 1,6 or 11 - in case their was interference.  And so i switched the 2.4GHZ to channel 11 - the problem persists even after this change.

Message 8 of 17
Joboo7777
Apprentice

You only mention 1 laptop. Do you have issues with other devices? Maybe when you are having the issues, try using internet from another device like a smartphone. Maybe the problem is with your laptop.

Message 9 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

@jprotzel wrote:

The woman at the Spectrum office in my town said that some users have had problems with the voice service when using the E32T2V1 model and she suggested that i use two modems - my old one for voice and the Hitron for data.  Thats why i have two.  I did see i could use the Hitron for voice.  Do you think the splitter is an issue?

All of the coax connections are important.  I was surprised how my last Sprectum technician hauled out his wrench to tighten every connector.  "Finger tight" appears not acceptable.

I do not see WiFi channel choice having any part of this.  Good that you changed because that's one of the things people always say to try.

People also recommend a "factory reset" on the Orbi if all else fails. (Being sure to configure it with exactly the same SSID and password as before!).  This is such a chore that it really is a "last resort."  I have done it myself, and it has solved specific problems, but then I've never had anything like this.

Message 10 of 17

You say you have two modems in front of this router.

That could easily be the source of the problem. It is messy.

What are these two modems? And how are they connected?

If either of them is a modem/router of some sort, then you need to sort that out.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 11 of 17
jprotzel
Aspirant

@michaelkenward wrote:

You say you have two modems in front of this router.

That could easily be the source of the problem. It is messy.

What are these two modems? And how are they connected?

I have a voice modem (Cisco DPC3208) and a data modem (Hitron E31N2V1).  Spectrum gave me a splitter and two coxials and the signal goes into the splitter and then individually to each modem.

If either of them is a modem/router of some sort, then you need to sort that out.

Neither modem is a modem/router.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 12 of 17

The Cisco DPC3208 is not so much a voice modem as a data modem with voice capability.

Cisco calls it a Cable Modem with Embedded Digital Voice Adapter

You really should not need that as well as the Hitron E31N2V1. I guess they suggested the Hitron because it does DOCSIS 3.1 rather than the 3.0 of the Cisco.

This is all outside my comfort zone, so I'll leave it to the cable modem experts to try to help you out.

The good news is that you don't have the two-router problem, although it is hard to track down a decent manual for the Hitron.

You said earlier:

some users have had problems with the voice service when using the E32T2V1 model and she suggested that i use two modems

Have you experienced problems yourself?

If not I would be tempted to try it without the Cisco box. The simpler the network, the less likely you are to experience clashes between devices.

Message 13 of 17
CrimpOn
Guru

Intermittant problems are really tough to diagnose, which is why it seems important to identify whether it is the Orbi or "something else" that is causing the problem.  The awkward part of all this is totally disrupting the entire family during the investigation.  For example, I always keep my old WiFi router when I purchase a new one so that I can swap it back in and see what happens.  (Not great if the Orbi has allowed more devices to be connected from farther away.)  If another WiFi router has the same issue, then it's not the Orbi.  If it doesn't, "aha".  That's why I suggest connecting directly to the modem for an hour. If that works perfectly, then it's not Spectrum.

Message 14 of 17
jprotzel
Aspirant

I did a factory reset and the problem persists.  I'll try to connect with an ethernet cable directly to a laptop.  I'm very frustrated at this point.

Message 15 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to power OFF the ISP modem for 1 minuted while you factory reset the Orbi. Then power ON the modem and let it sync. 

I would swap out LAN cable between the ISP modem and orbi as well. CAT6 is recommended. Shortest length possible. 

@jprotzel wrote:

I did a factory reset and the problem persists.  I'll try to connect with an ethernet cable directly to a laptop.  I'm very frustrated at this point.

Message 16 of 17
Silence07617
Initiate

Wow I’m not alone! I’ve been having the EXACT same problem! Everything was fine till the last 5 or 6 days. I had spectrum tech came out to test the line, modem, and router and it’s definitely the router. He tested with one of their spectrum router and it was fine. I called netgear support 4 times but I think all the tech that was troubleshooting wasn’t very knowledgeable. I’m still having the same issue and can not use the WiFi more than 5-10 mins. Have to refresh the page at least 3 times to get it to load. All issues are on all devices
Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7