Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 Coverage Issue

tbart1016
Aspirant

RBR50 Coverage Issue

I have the ORBI RBR50 mesh system. My home is 3000 SQF with an upstairs. The router in located in my office at the front corner of my house and the satelite is approximately 30 feet away in the opposite diagonal corner of the house. The satelite is designed to feed the medai room upstairs and does a decent job, but still aloot of buffering.

The problem is my daughters room in the opposite corner of the house, not diagonaly. This room struggles to get a signal for her phone, TV, XBox or anything. Why just this room and do I need to look at  getting something like the RBW30?

Additionaly, is there anything I can do to get better coverage upstairs? 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 Coverage Issue

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
I

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Message 2 of 9
tucsontico
Virtuoso

WiFi signal strength is effected greatly by several things. Within a house the biggest detractor of the signals are large metal objects, e.g., refridgerators, microwaves, TVs, etc.. These items tend to reflect the signals and cause them to bounce around and loose strength/range quickly. Next is construction materials. Reinforced concrete is a big problem for WiFi; so is old style plaster and lath. Third is actually interference from other WiFi sources. Here's an article regarding how WiFi handles interference:

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/03/802-eleventy-what-a-deep-dive-into-why-wi-fi-...

Sometimes getting better coverage is as simple as changing channels on your router or moving your satellite a few feet. If you've recently moved any furniture or had neighbors get new routers, it is worth trying to manually switch WiFi channels on both 2.4 gHz and 5.0 gHz bands. Then move your satellite around a bit before buying another satellite. Good Luck!

Message 3 of 9
tbart1016
Aspirant

Im going to try the things you sugested, but I was using firmware 2.3.5.30, however I just upgraded to 2.5.1.16. I see 3 other wifi networks from my neighbors but only 1 consistently. We're all 1 acre plus in this neighborhood. The modem is a Motorola SURFboard SB6141.

Message 4 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the suggestions first. If nothing changes, update FW then. 

@tbart1016 wrote:

Im going to try the things you sugested, but I was using firmware 2.3.5.30, however I just upgraded to 2.5.1.16. I see 3 other wifi networks from my neighbors but only 1 consistently. We're all 1 acre plus in this neighborhood. The modem is a Motorola SURFboard SB6141.

Message 5 of 9
Mstrbig
Master

Where is your daughter's room in conjunction with the Main unit?

My setup is similar, large home over 3000 sq. ft., router on one end downstairs, satellite on 2nd floor other side of home, approximately 30 ft distance, maybe more. I have a 3rd satellite in another building, opn the property. The bedroom opposite the satellite on the second floor, connects to the master  node, and gets a great signal with no buffering.

Check to see what node your daughter's room's devices are connecting to?

I had 2 cameras that kept connecting to the wrong node. I shut them down and turned them back on and they found the closer node. 

Message 6 of 9
tbart1016
Aspirant

All the bedrooms are down stairs as well as the office. Picture a square, the office is in the front right corner and my daughters room is in the back right corner.in between the office and her room is the living room, of course theres a wall betwwn the office and the living room.

How do you see what nodes are being connected to?

Message 7 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Can use the orbi app or log into the RBS web page to see whats connected at the RBS. 

@tbart1016 wrote:

All the bedrooms are down stairs as well as the office. Picture a square, the office is in the front right corner and my daughters room is in the back right corner.in between the office and her room is the living room, of course theres a wall betwwn the office and the living room.

How do you see what nodes are being connected to?

Message 8 of 9
Mstrbig
Master

Is it possible to move the Orbis from front and back to more towards the middle at each end of the house? If they are in corner rooms, they may not broadcast wireless efficiently, inside the home, as they broadcast 360 degrees. So moving them more centered may give better coverage.

|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|

I                                                                                          | 

I  Orbi                                                                        Orbi  |

I                                                                                          |

I---------------------------------------------------------------------------|

The other solution may be to add another satellite. 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7