Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 Custom IP and DNS Settings Broken

DatabaseJase
Luminary

RBR50 Custom IP and DNS Settings Broken

We have a fibre connection provided by Gigaclear and they have set the fibre modem into bridge mode for us so that the RBR50 can act as the router and this has been working great.  Gigaclear don't offer content filtering and their suggested solution is to use OpenDNS which requires us to set custom DNS servers within the RBR50.  Seems simple enough and I have good networking knowledge so fully understand how to do this.  We also have a fixed IP address so there is no need for dynamic IP updates.

The problem is when I set the RBR50 to use custom IP address and DNS settings for our ISP the internet connection stops working.  This is the case even if I keep the default Gigaclear values that are offered when using DHCP for the Internet connection.  It is also frustrating that it isn't possible to just use custom DNS settings; you have to first set custom for the IP, Subnet and Gateway otherwise the custom DNS radio button is disabled.

I've done enough of this on my own network (I used to host my own DNS and SMTP servers) before to know this is both a simple change and that I'm not making any mistakes.  Why doesn't this work?  RBR50 is running the latest firmware.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR50 Custom IP and DNS Settings Broken

Something else it involved in this problem because setting custom DNS settings does not require changing anything else on the Advanced->Setup->Internet Setup page.  I have set my DNS servers to Google (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).

Just personally, if the ISP provides public IP address using DHCP, I would leave that setting alone.

Please confirm that Disney Circle is not activated on the Orbi.

Message 2 of 9
DatabaseJase
Luminary

@CrimpOn wrote:

Something else it involved in this problem because setting custom DNS settings does not require changing anything else on the Advanced->Setup->Internet Setup page.

Please confirm that Disney Circle is not activated on the Orbi.

The custom DNS radio button is greyed out and can't be selected unless I change the previous section (IP, Subnet, Gateway) to custom after which the custom DNS radio button is then auto selected.  I can't grab a screen shot right now but I'll post one when I get the oppertunity.

Disney Circle IS enabled and I did think that might be the issue but as I said even if I choose custom IP/DNS and then keep the information that would be provided by my ISP via DHCP it still does not work.

Message 3 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

Perhaps you could humor the Old Guy.  Turn off Disney Circle.  Set the IP to "Get from ISP", and see if the "Use these DNS servers" can be selected.

Message 4 of 9
DatabaseJase
Luminary

@CrimpOn wrote:

Perhaps you could humor the Old Guy.  Turn off Disney Circle.  Set the IP to "Get from ISP", and see if the "Use these DNS servers" can be selected.

I was hoping to avoid that, mainly for the fact I'm worried that we will lose all of the settings which have taken a while to get right, but you're right I think it needs to be done.

Message 5 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

I share your concern.  You can first "save" the configuration to a file on your PC. (on the Advancexd Tab->Administration->Backup Settings)

Changing the way the public IP address is set has no effect on the internal settings (device assignments, names, etc)  Nor does changing the DNS settings.

Message 6 of 9
Addi181
Aspirant

Disabling circle did the trick for me. I was able to add custom DNS entries. This is what I did, disabled Circle, went to internet setup, checked on use static IP, it will enable to radio button for use these DNS servers. apply setting, change internet IP address to dynamic and save. I then enabled circle and custom DNS is working fine. you will still seeorbi as you DNS server in ip config but custom DNS works. 

Message 7 of 9
Beezedd
Aspirant

Hi there - I found this thread very useful as I was having the same issue.  My question is this, is there a way to have the combination of DHCP, Custom DNS and Disney Circle enabled?  Or are having DHCP, Custom DNS and Disney Circle mutually exclusive?

I haven't tried Disney Circle, but need some form of easy-to-use and informative parental controls.  My only other reason for changing DNS was to use something like OpenDNS and it's controls.

Message 8 of 9
CrimpOn
Guru

I believe that the DNS settings can be changed when Circle is not activated, and will remain set when Circle comes back.

(Caveat: have never implemented Circle myself.  I seem to remember others mentioning this on posts here and there.)

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7