Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 Dead this morning

Berik
Aspirant

RBR50 Dead this morning

Hello, I awoke this morning to a lack of WiFi in our home. After digging in it appears that my Orbi router is the issue, no LEDs on top, solid green power light in rear, but no blinking between Ethernet cable and modem. Other devices connected to modem work via alternate ports, switching cables or ports does not fix. When trying to factory reset the Orbi router the rear green led power light does not change, no matter how long I depress the reset button (30 or more seconds). Powering on or off does nothing to resolve, green light on rear is all that lights up. No WiFi signal is being projected from the unit for me to connect.

Any ideas what I need to try next? What could have caused this issue?

Thanks for any insight you can share.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 Dead this morning

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Can't access the RBRs web page with a wired PC connected to the back? 

Try a different wall power outlet. 

Press the reset button for only 15 seconds then let go. Do you get any flashing WHITE led ring on top at all? Do this while the RBR is disconnected from the ISP modem.

Possible the power supply could have gone bad...

Have to contact NG support...

Message 2 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Berik wrote:
Hello, I awoke this morning to a lack of WiFi in our home. After digging in it appears that my Orbi router is the issue, no LEDs on top, solid green power light in rear, but no blinking between Ethernet cable and modem. 

FYI....when the Orbi ROUTER is working properly, there is NO light (LED?) on top.

Message 3 of 13
CrimpOn
Guru

@Berik wrote:
 Powering on or off does nothing to resolve, green light on rear is all that lights up.

Since the power LED is green, you have power.  Do you have access to the administrative web page of the modem?  (It appears to be a modem/router because it has more than one ethernet port on it.)  If so, you could see what it says about the port the Orbi is connected to.

Sometimes it helps to power off both the Orbi and modem.  Power on the modem.  Wait for it to finish connecting to the network.  Then, power on the Orbi.

Message 4 of 13
Berik
Aspirant

The modem is a NETGEAR prosafe gs108e.

No idea on firmware, can’t connect to unit to verify. When I connect with a hardwire and open a browser nothing happens, do I need to input an IP address?

Power seems fine, the green led is on in the rear.

Disconnecting and trying reset does nothing else either.

If I connect my PC to the inbound Ethernet cable I do get internet, so it seems the issue is the router.
Message 5 of 13
Berik
Aspirant

When I try and sync the unit it will not light up, no white, blue, or other color, the WiFi appears non-existent.
Message 6 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Berik wrote:
The modem is a NETGEAR prosafe gs108e.

That is not a modem

Who is your Internet provider?

Message 7 of 13
Berik
Aspirant

My internet is EPB is Chattanooga, TV also is broadcast via separate WiFi network they setup during install 2.5 years ago and works fine. Pointing to a hardware issue within my internet WiFi network.
Message 8 of 13
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Berik wrote:
My internet is EPB is Chattanooga, TV also is broadcast via separate WiFi network they setup during install 2.5 years ago and works fine. Pointing to a hardware issue within my internet WiFi network.

OK...I beleive the  NETGEAR prosafe gs108e is a swtching device that is normally used within your network NOT something used to modulate the ISP data.

Need to know what you were using BEFORE the Orbi?

Message 9 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

If your not getting any WHITE ring LED on top after a power cycle or factory reset with the button press, then the RBR needs to be looked at. I would make contact with NG support:

https://www.netgear.com/mynetgear/registration/login.aspx

@Berik wrote:
When I try and sync the unit it will not light up, no white, blue, or other color, the WiFi appears non-existent.

Message 10 of 13
Berik
Aspirant

That device has been used as the internet input for the Orbi network from day 1 when it was setup 2+ years ago. It is fiber optic delivery and I think therefore may come in on an Ethernet line directly from the box on my house? there is nothing between the box outside and what I thought was my modem that the Orbi is connected to.
Message 11 of 13
Berik
Aspirant

Uggghh. I was concerned that it might be that significant. I’ll reach out to try abs determine how to proceed with tech support.
Message 12 of 13
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know how it turns out. 

Good Luck. 

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation