Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 Disconnecting Frequently

jim8181
Guide

RBR50 Disconnecting Frequently

for days = 1 to 5

for daily =1 to 7

All of a sudden, RBR50 says "not connected to the internet"

I reboot both router and sattelite and it's up.

4 hours later, it stops again

next daily

Reset the router, back to factory specs.  Reload network

Still doing the same thing.

next days

This is getting really really old.  It's set up correctly, was working somewhat solidly for about 8 months but now it's causing me to lose sleep.

Help please

Firmware 2.14.10 

Nothing weird plugged into any port, no Sonos, only 1 arlo cam pro and a couple of HP printers.

Message 1 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Whats the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem? Any router here by chance?

Any other wifi nieghbors near by? If so, how many?

After factory reset, are you loading a saved configuration from file or setting up from scratch?

Message 2 of 20
jim8181
Guide

Router : FIOS G1100 modem 

At factory reset : A complete reset, nothing from a config file, a completely new setup.

3 networks around me in the neighbourhood.

A 12 year old DLINK router running 802.11b from my nearest neighbour

A weak signal about 400 feet away running

Some inconsequentially weak signals from over 150 meters away.

Thanks

Message 3 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe your FIOS modem is a gateway router as well. You might try this:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31057540-Networking-HOW-TO-Bridge-G1100-So-your-Router-becomes-Prim...

If you can't do this, you can use the modems DMZ for the IP address that the Orbi router gets and use the Orbi router in router mode, or

Use the modem as your main router and configure the Orbi system in AP mode...

Message 4 of 20
jim8181
Guide

Thanks.  Did do the setup for the Orbi being the primary gateway (primary setup)

AND

also tried the Orbi in AP (secondary setup)

both yielded the same results : random disconnects every 4 hours or so.

Message 5 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Also swap the LAN cable between the modem and router.

Can you still access the routers web page whe this happens? Both wireless and wired?

Try setting a manual channel on 2.Ghz to 1, 6 or 11 and 48 on 5Ghz.

Please try using the DMZ on the modem or bridge the modem and see if this continues...

Message 6 of 20
jim8181
Guide

First thing I did was to change the cable.

Both with old AND new cable i could access router page.

I don[t think changing the channel will help. As the connection between the FIOS Gateway and Orbi was lost.

BUt... will try it when I go home.

Thanks!

Message 7 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok wanted to make sure. Yes seem like this is narrowed down to the modem and router.

Let us know how it goes...

Message 8 of 20
Zdman
Guide

Any satellites connected and if so are they wired or wireless.  

Message 9 of 20
Orbi1Kanobi
Initiate

This has been happening to my Orbi RBR50 for the last month or so. Even after the latest update to V2.1.4.10 and I still have issues with it staying connected. I am at the point of going back to my older slower, but more dependable routers. I hate the fact, that I spent a lot of money on this Orbi satellite system. I too, like many others, believe that it is in the hardware. When verifying that it has an internet connection, it may take over a few minutes before you receive "down" or "good" and I've never seen "Excellent". Memory must also be tiny. I won't be buying another netgear router as these typically should be "set it and forget it" items and this one is not. I don't want to have to login constantly and work on something!

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 10 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

This user has narrowed it down to something between his modem and the router. He has a built in router on the modem already. Hoping that testing the modem in bridge mode will resolve this. So this may be a different issue from yours...

Whats the Mfr and model# of your ISP modem? Do you have a built in router with your modem?

Any wireless neighbors near by? if so, how many?

Do you have access to the routers web page when your disconnections happen?

What kind of disconnections are you seeing? Wired and wireless?

You can check the memory on the system: 192.168.1.1/debug.htm.

@Orbi1Kanobi wrote:

This has been happening to my Orbi RBR50 for the last month or so. Even after the latest update to V2.1.4.10 and I still have issues with it staying connected. I am at the point of going back to my older slower, but more dependable routers. I hate the fact, that I spent a lot of money on this Orbi satellite system. I too, like many others, believe that it is in the hardware. When verifying that it has an internet connection, it may take over a few minutes before you receive "down" or "good" and I've never seen "Excellent". Memory must also be tiny. I won't be buying another netgear router as these typically should be "set it and forget it" items and this one is not. I don't want to have to login constantly and work on something!

Message 11 of 20
Smitty1911
Initiate

This is a hardware / firmware issue. I am experiencing the same issue of repeated connection drops with my modem. Orbi is not self healing enough to stabilize the environment and I am losing confidence that Netgear is really trying to keep their market share.
I am using an Arris Surfboard 8200 and it comes with 2 seperate LAN ports. My ISP just updated their IP tables and schema and my Orbi network has taken a turn for the worse. Not only did my time capsule update flawlessly on my secondary LAN port, but the Orbi is stuck with the old IP address and I have rebooted and reset more times than I can count on both hands. When I’m resetting my modem and dropping the good network, I realize this product was a bad purchase because the troubleshooting efforts are pretty sad.

And to make matters worse, my last call a month ago had to do with the wireless running at 10% of my gateway capacity. Hard wire ran 100% and after hours on the phone with support, we finally stabilized things with a firmware update, factory reset and a dozen reboots. And had to reconfigure everything again.

If only Netgear could focus more time and effort into this product, as I believed they were going in the right direction here. Good grief..... and thanks for reading.
Message 12 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

This isn't a HW or FW issue for the OP. The OP is using a modem/router. The modem needs to be bridged or use the DMZ on the modem for the Orbi router. 

@Smitty1911 wrote:
This is a hardware / firmware issue. I am experiencing the same issue of repeated connection drops with my modem. Orbi is not self healing enough to stabilize the environment and I am losing confidence that Netgear is really trying to keep their market share. 
I am using an Arris Surfboard 8200 and it comes with 2 seperate LAN ports. My ISP just updated their IP tables and schema and my Orbi network has taken a turn for the worse. Not only did my time capsule update flawlessly on my secondary LAN port, but the Orbi is stuck with the old IP address and I have rebooted and reset more times than I can count on both hands. When I’m resetting my modem and dropping the good network, I realize this product was a bad purchase because the troubleshooting efforts are pretty sad. 

And to make matters worse, my last call a month ago had to do with the wireless running at 10% of my gateway capacity. Hard wire ran 100% and after hours on the phone with support, we finally stabilized things with a firmware update, factory reset and a dozen reboots. And had to reconfigure everything again. 

If only Netgear could focus more time and effort into this product, as I believed they were going in the right direction here. Good grief..... and thanks for reading. 
Message 13 of 20
Brain29
Apprentice

I have the same issues

Try disabling
Advanced - > WAN setup -> Dos Protection
also uncleck WMM in the wireless settings

I have gone from 1 day orbi crashes to once a week still horriable but more manageable

for some reason youtube/netflix/amazon allot more major sites are blocked by dos protection throwing false positives I'm guessing its filling up the memory or something 

Message 14 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of your ISP modem? Cable or DSL? 

This happening over wired or wireless connections or both? 

What FW version is your system using? 

@Brain29 wrote:

I have the same issues

Try disabling
Advanced - > WAN setup -> Dos Protection
also uncleck WMM in the wireless settings

I have gone from 1 day orbi crashes to once a week still horriable but more manageable

for some reason youtube/netflix/amazon allot more major sites are blocked by dos protection throwing false positives I'm guessing its filling up the memory or something 

Message 15 of 20
jim8181
Guide

Nothings worked so far and I’m not a newbie to networking

i think this is a firmware issue as this only occurred with the new flash

hello google mesh. 

@FURRYe38 wrote:

This isn't a HW or FW issue for the OP. The OP is using a modem/router. The modem needs to be bridged or use the DMZ on the modem for the Orbi router. 

@Smitty1911 wrote:

Message 16 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Where you able to bridge your modem? This should be tried or at least use the DMZ.

Did you try changing channels as well?

You can revert back to last working FW version as well.

@jim8181 wrote:

Nothings worked so far and I’m not a newbie to networking

i think this is a firmware issue as this only occurred with the new flash

hello google mesh. 

@FURRYe38 wrote:

@Smitty1911 wrote:

Message 17 of 20
jim8181
Guide

Hi everyone. 

Thanks for all your help and assistance.

I reverted back to the previous firmware and factory reset the entire network. 

And now it works (at least it's been on for 53 hours)

So.  This is somewhat furstrating,  a little venting (and a LOT of swearing) ensued.

I didn't try the DMZ as I didn't have a second NAT router, nor did I want that much complication in my life.

If it works for 240 hours, I'm keeping it.  

Otherwise, I'm happy to ship this to anyone if they cover the postage.  The alternative is my using the Orbi as a backstop for range practice.

Check with me anytime after May15 and if you're in the LA area, I'm happy to trade this for a few interesting bottles of craft beer.

Again, thank you everyone for your help and assistance.

Message 18 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

Well from your modem model you described you do have a 2nd router. DMZ would have helped in this case.

Glad reverting back FW seems to have help.

Good Luck.

Message 19 of 20
wildsubnet
Apprentice

DMZ doesn't help (I have mine in a DMZ from the cable modem but that really shouldn't matter). You can see it in the logs, firmware initialization (not too mention watching the wifi signals disappear and reappear indicating a full system reboot). For me it was every 8-10 hours. This was after months of pretty decent uptime. The latest firmware is terrible. I reverted back to and older release and turned off auto-update. Hopefully that will do the trick.

Quite frankly it's disappointing. This system has never been what I would consider super solid, Things are just generally weird. Changing settings that really shouldn't matter seem to matter...temporarily. I don't think netgear tests this stuff enough, or they test in an environment that is far too removed from what people actually have at home (AppleTVs, Chromecasts, FireTVs, etc..plus mobile devices). I'm almost sure they never stick a wired ethernet device into them. A half finished UI with features requiring CLI access to configure. The list goes on and on. 

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7