Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 Dropping Internet Connections with Firmware 2.5.1.16

DML1-1
Aspirant

RBR50 Dropping Internet Connections with Firmware 2.5.1.16

Since I upgraded my firmware to my RBR50 to version 2.5.1.16, I am losing my Internet connection each day, once or twice, completely, and will drop intermittantly once or twice an hour all the time.   Any others experiencing this?  It was solid on the previous version.  I have checked with my ISP, and no one else is experiencing this.  When I drop the Internet completely, I reboot the router, and I'm back on.

Setup:  RBR50 + satellites: RBS40 - RBS50

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 Dropping Internet Connections with Firmware 2.5.1.16

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?
I
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
https://kb.netgear.com/19668/Link-Rate-and-Transfer-Speed

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 
Press the back reset button for 15 seconds then release. 

Message 2 of 5
DML1-1
Aspirant

You have given me the playbook on how to fix dropped connections and I appreciate it.  However, my question is this, why would upgrading to firmware 2.5.1.16 be the start of these problems?  Why wouldn't I have been dropping my Internet connection be a problem with the earlier firmware versions.  I didn't make any configuration changes, only upgraded.  

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 5
Greg00001
Star

@DML1-1 wrote:

You have given me the playbook on how to fix dropped connections and I appreciate it.  However, my question is this, why would upgrading to firmware 2.5.1.16 be the start of these problems?  Why wouldn't I have been dropping my Internet connection be a problem with the earlier firmware versions.  I didn't make any configuration changes, only upgraded.  

I had the same issues as you. Even a factory reset wasn't helpful.  The last stable version for me is 2.3.5.30  and I wouldn't go any higher than that unless you like frustration.

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Sometimes new FW needs a reset as it bring in new items which maybe incompatible with older configurations. So a reset maybe needed as last resort if you encounter problems after a reset. it's a mixed bag on updates, some people don't see problems after a FW update, some do. Try a reset and setup from scratch. IF the problem continues, then you can revert back to what had worked for you. I for one have a well working RBK50 system on v16, however I always reset mine after a FW reset so I avoid most issues. 

Also ISP service can also impact operation as well. May work for a time then doing something like a FW update may bring the problem to light which should be addressed. Reason why asking about your ISP services. 

It's up to you if you want to give feedback to questions or not. Feedback helps us help you though.

Good Luck. 

@DML1-1 wrote:

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7