Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 - Ethernet works but Wifi Doesn't - Help?!!

th3sp3ck
Guide

RBR50 - Ethernet works but Wifi Doesn't - Help?!!

All of the sudden my wifi stopped working. I've rebooted modem and router a few times. Help would be greatly appreciated!

When I open Chrome and go to a website, I get the following error in Chrome on my Laptop is:

Your connection is not private

NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID

Subject: www.routerlogin.net

Issuer: www.routerlogin.net

Expires on: Nov 26, 2029

Current date: Aug 9, 2020

PEM encoded chain:-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----
MIIEETCCAvmgAwIBAgIJAN9ro99KqYZ3MA0GCSqGSIb3DQEBCwUAMGUxCzAJBgNV.............
-----END CERTIFICATE-----

Hardware Version: RBR50

Firmware Version V2.3.5.30

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12
plemans
Guru

Re: RBR50 - Ethernet works but Wifi Doesn't - Help?!!

your firmware's a bit out of date. 

i'd start by updating that first. 

What modem/gateway is it connected to. 

Message 2 of 12
th3sp3ck
Guide

I updated the firmware - v2.5.1.16 and I have fiber with a CTC GSW-1005MS switch that connects directly to my Orbi. 

I did do one other thing that seems to be helping but created a new issue. I unplugged my satellite and now my wi-fi is working but the family cant get a stable connection upstairs. 

I moved the satelitte downstairs and I've been trying to reset/reconnect the satelitte but no luck. I used a paper clip to reset it and then followed the instructions on the App but the satellite just pulses white and never connects. Thoughts??

Message 3 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

Message 4 of 12
th3sp3ck
Guide

Its not a big house but its old. I've been successfully using this configuration with the satelitte upstairs and connected to ethernet for a couple years now. This is a new issue that just came up. 

Message 5 of 12
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly

Please try some of the suggestions linked in the one users post. 

Message 6 of 12
plemans
Guru

@th3sp3ck wrote:

Its not a big house but its old. I've been successfully using this configuration with the satelitte upstairs and connected to ethernet for a couple years now. This is a new issue that just came up. 

Is the ethernet ran directly off the router or is there a switch connected in there somewhere? If so, what switch? 

Does it work fine directly connected to the router? 

Message 7 of 12
th3sp3ck
Guide

From the Orbi I have a Netgear 8 port Gigabit Switch and anything connected via ethernet into that works fine. I'm on my desktop computer now and the internet is working as expected.

GSW-1005MS > Orbi RBR50 > Netgear GS166 > Hardwire to Desktop seems to be working great. 

GSW-1005MS > Orbi RBR50 > Wifi to Laptop or Phone in close proximity working.

GSW-1005MS > Orbi RBR50 > Satellite > Laptop or Phone not working - getting certificate errors.  

Message 8 of 12
Mstrbig
Master

@th3sp3ck wrote:

From the Orbi I have a Netgear 8 port Gigabit Switch and anything connected via ethernet into that works fine. I'm on my desktop computer now and the internet is working as expected.

GSW-1005MS > Orbi RBR50 > Netgear GS166 > Hardwire to Desktop seems to be working great. 

GSW-1005MS > Orbi RBR50 > Wifi to Laptop or Phone in close proximity working.

GSW-1005MS > Orbi RBR50 > Satellite > Laptop or Phone not working - getting certificate errors.  

Does every device connected to that particular sat get the certificate error?

Since the other devices are working and the 1 sat connected to the RBR50 possibly isn't, I suggest removing that sat, factory reset it and reconfigure to see if the issue goes away. 

Message 9 of 12
th3sp3ck
Guide

I'm having issues doing the factory reset and reconnection. I put the paper clip in the reset hole and waited 'till it blinked orange, but then the unti just  pulsates white. I cant seem to reconnect it to the main unit - I tried both the sync button and the function in the app. Am I doing something wrong? Is this what a failed device would look like? I've had it for maybe 2 years only.

Thanks for the help and support! 

Message 10 of 12
Mstrbig
Master

@th3sp3ck wrote:

I'm having issues doing the factory reset and reconnection. I put the paper clip in the reset hole and waited 'till it blinked orange, but then the unti just  pulsates white. I cant seem to reconnect it to the main unit - I tried both the sync button and the function in the app. Am I doing something wrong? Is this what a failed device would look like? I've had it for maybe 2 years only.

Thanks for the help and support! 

After reset, you have to use the app to add the satellite back to the system so it connects to the router or.

1. Connect the Orbi satellite to a power source.
    Note: If the Power LED on the back of the Orbi satellite does not light, press the Power On/Off button.
  2. Wait for the Orbi satellite's ring LED to light solid white, then pulse white, and then pulse magenta.
    Note: The Orbi satellite's ring LED might pulse magenta for up to one minute while the satellite attempts to sync with the Orbi router.
  3. After the Orbi satellite's ring LED pulses magenta, it lights one of the following colors for 10 seconds then turns off:
    • Solid blue. The connection between the Orbi router and Orbi satellite is good.
    • Solid magenta. The Orbi satellite cannot connect to the Orbi router. Move the Orbi satellite closer to the Orbi router.
    • Solid amber. The connection between the Orbi router and Orbi satellite is fair. Consider moving the Orbi satellite closer to the Orbi router.
      Note: If the Orbi satellite's ring LED is still pulsing magenta after about one minute, and you already moved the Orbi satellite closer to the Orbi router, press the Sync button on the Orbi router and on the Orbi satellite.
      If the Orbi satellite successfully syncs with the Orbi router, the Orbi satellite's ring LED pulses white, then lights solid blue to indicate a good connection, and then turns off.
Message 11 of 12
th3sp3ck
Guide

Thanks for the detailed instructions.

It never pulses magenta- just goes from solid white to pulsating white and just continues to pulsate white?
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7