Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 FW v2.1.4.16 broke my ethernet backhaul with two RBS50 that previously worked for a year

JimJac2
Aspirant

RBR50 FW v2.1.4.16 broke my ethernet backhaul with two RBS50 that previously worked for a year

Firmware v2.1.4.16 broke my system. finally, after many hours! and a complete system reset, figured out it was the ethernet backhaul and disconnected the ethernet cables to the satellites.

Backhaul works wirelessly now but one satalite, in the living room so sorta important!, has a "poor" wireless connection. On the weekend, I'll try to reconnect via ethernet.

Shouldn't have to spend so much time fixing a stable setup (or any setup really)

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 16

Accepted Solutions
cvoisey
Guide

Re: RBR50 FW v2.1.4.16 broke my ethernet backhaul with two RBS50 that previously worked for a year

Honestly, I don't think it is the hardware.  I'm only guessing though.  My scenario is almost identical to yours, but a different layout in the house.  LUCKILY Costco will refund your money!   I kid you not, I just returned my system from last December and bought a new one to test it out.  Unfortuantely the results were the same.  I'm on my third now, which exhibit the same issues.  I hoping it will last with this last hard reset, but my confidence level is very, very low.  

View solution in original post

Message 15 of 16

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

After updating FW, the satellites should have been updated first, then the router. If you reset the router and satellites, you need to re-add the satelites via wiress first, one at a time, wait for the top led to turn on BLUE, then connect the wired LAN cable between the router and satellite, wait 5 miniutes, the top led will turn on PINK then BLUE. If you can get to this point, then do the same thing for the 2nd satellite. Re-add wirelessly, wait, connect wired, then wait. 

Any network LAN switches in between the router and satellites? 

Message 2 of 16
JimJac2
Aspirant

Many thanks for the speedy reply. I used the latest version of the iPhone app to update the firmware. In other words I tapped the “update firmware” button. There wasn’t an option or instruction to update the satellites first, then the router, then reconnect wirelessly then re-add Ethernet one at a time. How was I to know this? Sorry. I don’t mean this to be a snarky as it is sounding. I’m really describing what I did and then asking an honest question. Yes, I have three unmanaged switched at various points of my network. Usu try to use Ethernet over WiFi where I can. Thank you again.
Message 3 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

If you don't think the FW update was a good installation, you can always manually download and install the FW to the satellites and router then reset an setup from scratch. Yes, the orbi app should work however doing FW updates is a important operation and for me personally, I'd rather not leave anything to chance. Wired PC with the satellites and routers for FW updates is the best way to update FW.

For Review:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/OrbiOS-2-1-4-10-kills-Internet-access-if-you-use-Ethernet-back...

Message 4 of 16
JimJac2
Aspirant

So, in the end, FURRYe38's solution did NOT solve the problem. Initially, it worked -- two satellites added, both showing as a wired connection. However, on reboot, the two satellites are listed as connected devices albeit wired.  And now as I write this one satellite moved to the satellite section by connected via 5G, not ethernet. Really did not want to spend my Saturday working on WiFi.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only),RBK22| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 5 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

So with the LAN cable still connected the satellite is displayed in the connecte clients list  on the router as wireless and not wired? 

Was Daisy Chain enabled or disabled on the router? 

One thing I would try, as I don't see that it may have been done, do a factory reset on the router and sateliltes, set the router and satellites up from scratch, add 1 satellites via wireless at a time until you get top led to turn on BLUE, then connect the LAN cable in between the 1st satellite and wait for it to turn on BLUE again. Then same thing for the 2nd satellite.

Only other idea is you could try reverting back to v.10 version of FW on the router and satellites....

Message 6 of 16
JimJac2
Aspirant

Thank you for your speedy reply.

Yes, listed as a wireless connection.  And yes daisy chain is enabled on the router. Is that not a good thing?

I am indeed reverting back to .10.

Many thanks again.

Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Lets disable Daisy Chain on the router as thats not needed for wired back hauled satellites before doing anthing else. I would apply the change and reboot the router and power off the satellites, bring one back online via wired connection first, then the 2nd. 

Message 8 of 16
chuahyenhua
Apprentice

A question on why should the solution to that the user has to let the router detect the satellite wirelessly?

Isnt it better to detect wired first and use wired as the backhaul rather than endlessly find the satellite via wirelessly?

Unless the wired has a problem, then only use the wireless.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 9 of 16
cvoisey
Guide

I am having similar issues.  But I have done even more troubleshooting and this is irritating me to no end.  Long story short, I started with one RBR50, was convinced that was bad so I had it exchanged last week for another one but it did the same thing.  So then I decided, let's go with the RBR40 and take advantage of the fact I can get it for 4 router/satellites for the same as the previous 3.  But I'm back to square one.  If I watch the status it is just jumping between working for a minute, then I see it is doing a "Config Sync", the network goes down and the process just keeps repeating itself.  I too have a wired backhaul as I know there are signal issues in this old lat and plaster (using chicken mesh) walled house.  That's the whole reason I went to the Orbi system.

So, my question:  Are you telling me that if you can't set this up using wireless first, it won't work??  Is it a safe presumtion that you have to set-up the system, the wireless backhaul kicks off first and after that handshake is made it will look at a wired connection?  That would really surprise and even worse, disappoint me.  That seems backwards.

Message 10 of 16
JimJac2
Aspirant

The suggestions above did not resolve my problems.

Message 11 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Only thing I guess I would try is to revert back FW versions...see if that helps...If it was working well before the upgrade, go back to what you had loaded...

@JimJac2 wrote:

The suggestions above did not resolve my problems.

Message 12 of 16
JimJac2
Aspirant

I bought the NETGEAR Orbi AC3000 Tri-band Wi-Fi System from Costco about 9 months ago. It was just about when the firmware allowing for Ethernet backhaul was released. Given my plaster and metal lathe walls and family's desire to have WiFi from the basement to the finished attic, it sounded like a great system.

And all was well for months. WiFi was rock solid. Whenever we lost power, the system would reboot and restore without anything from me. WiFi bliss. I even recommended the system to others.

Unfortunately, last weekend, I used the Orbi app to upgrade the firmware to V2.1.4.16 and my WiFi bliss ended.

I have no idea if the system had been upgrading the firmware automatically up to this point so I don't know what FW I was using. I do know this FW update was the first time I had done anything since installing the backhaul enabling firmware when I bought the Orbi originally. I use some HomeKit stuff and thought the FW update might be good to have the promised fix offered by the new firmware. HUGE mistake.

I'm in an Orbi Nightmare.

The Orbi system has not worked reliability since the Orbi app updated the firmware — the WiFi is wonky, slow sometimes, drops connections, and sometimes the whole system just reports "no internet". The family is yelling at me and I've spent at least twelve solid hours on this. I'm frustrated and disappointed in Orbi and Netgear.

Please help!

Here's what I've done so far.

Following FURRYe38 suggestions
(https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-FW-v2-1-4-16-broke-my-ethernet-backhaul-with-two-RBS50/m...),
I did a factory reset and re-synced the satellites one by one, first wirelessly and then via ethernet. All would be OK for a bit but the set up never survived an Orbi system reboot or even just time — meaning things would go from showing two wired connected satellites to showing the satellites as attached devices, sometimes wired sometimes 5G (or a mix).

I then tried going back to V2.1.4.10 and did the whole factory reset and one by one system set up. Again, setup lasts for a few a bit and then the same symptoms… poor WiFi drops, satellites are listed as “attached devices”.

I’ve attempted a setup where I’ve turned off daisy chain once the satellites have synced and connected. It lasts for a few hours and then the same symptoms… poor WiFi drops, satellites are listed as “attached devices”. (Pls see two photos at bottom of the post, one from a browser, the other from the Orbi app.)

I even brought each satellite into the same room as the Orbi Router to sync them up wirelessly. It lasts for a few hours and then the same symptoms… poor WiFi, dropped clients, satellites are listed as “attached devices”.

Currently, Office Orbi is connected via “wired”; the first floor Orbi via 5G but I don’t think it will last b/c it hasn’t lasted more than 12 or so hours.

My goal is to have a stable WiFi setup using Ethernet backhaul for each of the two satellites. (In other words, have the system function.) As I say, It currently sorta works but the satellites are shown as connected devices, one wired the other 5G. (again see photos)

Please help. I'd return this to Costco if I could but I threw out the boxes.

Add'l information and background.
2400 sq ft, 1930-era, vertical house with four floors
- Basement with a stone foundation
- Three floors, including a finished attic, with plaster and metal lathe walls

In-wall, Ethernet cabling to floor 1, floor 2, and attic

3 unmanaged switches: TRENDnet TEG-S80g 8-Port Gigabit GREENnet Switch. (The use of only two of the switches are described here.)

Verizon FiOS
FiOS coax service comes into the basement where the Version box and backup battery is but coax goes up to the attic where it is attached Fios Gateway is in “electronics closet”. Almost all devices have a static IP address assigned via Gateway. Gateway’s wireless is turned off. Gateway is FiOS-G1100 (Hardware version: 1.03; firmware version: 02.00.01.08)

NETGEAR Orbi AC3000 Tri-band Wi-Fi System via Costco
- Orbi Router (RB50) is set to AP mode and connected to the Fios Gateway via ethernet cable. All advanced settings are factory default, including daisy chain, which is enabled.
- Orbi Satellite 1 (RBS50) for the ground (first) floor is connected via ethernet via an unmanaged Trendnet 8 port switch (“ground floor switch”). (TiVo, TV, Apple TV are also connected to the same ground floor switch.) The ground floor switch is connected via ethernet up to the third-floor electronics closet to an unmanned switch in the closet on the third floor ("third-floor switch").
- Orbi Satellite 2 (RBS50) is in the second-floor office, connected to ethernet. There is no switch in the room and I had connected an HP printer and Hue bridge to the satellite. The ethernet goes up to the third-floor closet where it connects to the unmanaged Trendnet switch (third-floor switch).
I’ve assigned each Orbi (router and two satellites) a static IP address via the Version router.

The third-floor unmanned switch is connected to Fios Gateway via ethernet cable.

I’ve tried all permutations of connections between the Orbi Router, the third-floor switch, and the Verizon gateway. (Eg., Orbi and Switch to Gateway; everything to switch, etc.)

All cables are Cat5e or greater.

Message 13 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

I would contact NG support and ask for more help and information about this. Ask for an RMA if you feel you can't keep the system working. There maybe something wrong with the HW.

Message 14 of 16
cvoisey
Guide

Honestly, I don't think it is the hardware.  I'm only guessing though.  My scenario is almost identical to yours, but a different layout in the house.  LUCKILY Costco will refund your money!   I kid you not, I just returned my system from last December and bought a new one to test it out.  Unfortuantely the results were the same.  I'm on my third now, which exhibit the same issues.  I hoping it will last with this last hard reset, but my confidence level is very, very low.  

Message 15 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Were hoping so:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-restart-issues/m-p/1610805/highlight/true#M37867

@cvoisey wrote:

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7