Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 Factory Reset does not work!

jdanham
Guide

RBR50 Factory Reset does not work!

I have an Actiontec T3200 provided by my ISP, and I have been having some performance issues with the ISP router wireless running with the Orbi Mesh, so I decided to disable the ISP modem wireless radios and switch the Orbi from AP mode to Router mode. However when I made that change I was no longer able to connect to both the internet or the Orbi router. I decided that I would clear the slate and reset the RBR50 to `factory defaults' and run the setup via the Orbi App on my iPhone. Reading through several other forum posts I ended up pressing/holding the reset button 30 seconds, kept it held down during power off and power on and released it when the status light switched to green. To my utter frustration (I repeated this many times), the wizard could not see or join the default SSID on the device label. I followed the app instructions and did it manually but another thing happened - the OLD SSIDs that should have been wiped by the "factory reset" were still coming up! Because they showed up, I used my credentials but the internet was not accessible, and the router did not display a magenta error condition of no internet.

I have tried many different things to resolve this but at the root of this is the fact that I CANNOT get this bloody unit to reset itself! Is there any `direct' way to physically plug in like telnet to a switch with a laptop? I saw one post about TFTP for a firmware installation but that is not going to get me to wiping this unit to it's `new' state. How is this made so difficult???

I have also tried enabling port bridging on the Actiontec and that had zero effect.

Netgear, if you are listening I am this close to throwing this product away and it sucks because I paid a premium price a few years ago; I expected to get more life out of this investment!

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 Factory Reset does not work!

If you can access the RBRs web page, try using the ERASE function under Advanced Tab/Backup. Try this with the RBR disconnected from the ISP modem and all other wired devices accpet for 1 wired PC. 

Pressing the reset button for 15 seconds in back of the RBR then release should reset the RBR. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

If you can access the RBRs web page, try using the ERASE function under Advanced Tab/Backup. Try this with the RBR disconnected from the ISP modem and all other wired devices accpet for 1 wired PC. 

Pressing the reset button for 15 seconds in back of the RBR then release should reset the RBR. 

Message 2 of 6
jdanham
Guide

This actually worked! Thank you. I was able to access the `new device' setup and later attached the WAN port to the ISP (Actiontec T3200) and it seems to be working after I disabled the ISP router's radios. Now I'm back to the 192.x.x.x vs 10.x.x.x networking arrangement because there is no way to actually disable DHCP services on that ISP box.

Next step now for me is to rename the default ORBI SSID and add my 3 satellites to this configuration and hope that connected devices actually connect to the nearest satellite, which is one of the reasons I went down this path in the first place...

Thank you so much for helping me resolve this issue!

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

You might use the modems DMZ for the RBR if you can't bridge the modem. 

Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves tine if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. 

Enjoy.

Message 4 of 6
jdanham
Guide

Yes that's another area I plan to look into. I'm sure if I run into any problems I can't figure out, I'll be back 😉

Thanks again!

Dan

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos