Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 Firmware Issue

CeeBee513
Aspirant

RBR50 Firmware Issue

I got a notification that my Orbi Router and Satellite had a firmware update available through the Android App so I started the update process. Ultimately the Satellite updated fine but the Router would not update even though it says it updated successfully. So it still says I have a firmware update available. So then I decided to try the web interface, first i tried the automatic option and again it supposedly successfully updated, but it still remaimed on the current firmware version of 2.5.1.16. The app and web interface says that the new available firmware is 2.5.2.4, but I went on Netgears site and found the two newer versions so I decided to try and load the latest 2.7.x version to see if that would work any better. I started with the Satellite first and that worked, but again after trying the Router it still will not update even though it appears successful. I then tried to downgrade the router to a previous version and it wouldn't do that either. So it currently appears that it is stuck on 2.5.1.16 and I can't get anything else on there. I tried unplugging the router for a bit as well and restarted it with no changes. I have not done a factory reset at all at this point. Anyone have a similar issue?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

FYI, v2.5.2.4 seems to be the last in the v2.5 line of FWs. NG hasn't given an auto update notification path to v2.6 or v2.7 from v2.5. 

If users wish to update beyond v2.5, you'll need to manually download v2.6 FW files for 50 series Orbi and apply them manually over v2.5. RBS first then RBR lastly. v2.6 version is for USA and all other regions. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-6-1-40/m-p/1997895/highlight/tr...

For users wishing to update to v2.7 versions, you'll need to manually download v102 FW files for 50 series Orbi and apply them manually. RBS first then RBR lastly. v2.7 versions is for USA region only.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-Router-Firmware-Version-V2-7-2-102/m-p/2034115/high...

Message 2 of 25
CeeBee513
Aspirant

I have tried that already. I successfully got the Satellite to the 2.7 version, but I cannot get the Router to update to anything else at all. It is stuck at 2.5.1.16. I tried the update that it wants me to apply, which is 2.5.2.4 (both automatically and manually) and then I have tried the 2.6 version and the 2.7 version manually. Nothing is allowing it to move from 2.5.1.16.

Message 3 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Try using this process  to get passed v16:

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
Need to press the reset button for 30 seconds then release, then it send to PUT the command and upload the FW. 

Message 4 of 25
CeeBee513
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try using this process  to get passed v16:

https://kb.netgear.com/000059634/How-to-upload-firmware-to-a-NETGEAR-router-using-Windows-TFTP
Need to press the reset button for 30 seconds then release, then it send to PUT the command and upload the FW. 

Thanks for the suggestion, I will have to see if I have a laptop that has an Ethernet port. We don't have a Desktop in the house since my wife and I only use laptops and I know mine doesn't have an Ethernet port. I don't think hers does either unfortunately.

Message 5 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Also what browser are you using to update FW with? Recommended ones are IE11, Edge or Firefox. 

Message 6 of 25
CeeBee513
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Also what browser are you using to update FW with? Recommended ones are IE11, Edge or Firefox. 

I initially tried the Android App and then when I switched to trying the web interface I used Firefox. Its really weird because it behaves as if everything updated fine, no errors or anything but it just won't really update.

Message 7 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

IT should update using a web browser with a PC or laptop using the RBRs FW update page. 

Did you clear out all browser caches before entering into the RBRs web page, send FW file, then after clear browser cache again after the RBR reboots from the file upload? 

Message 8 of 25
CeeBee513
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

IT should update using a web browser with a PC or laptop using the RBRs FW update page. 

Did you clear out all browser caches before entering into the RBRs web page, send FW file, then after clear browser cache again after the RBR reboots from the file upload? 

No I have not tried clearing cache or anything on the browser. I could try that, seems weird if that would work though.

EDIT: Just tried that and that did not work either.

Message 9 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok, sounds like the RBR is in some bad state and won't process the FW file correctly. 

The TFTP process will. 

Message 10 of 25
CeeBee513
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ok, sounds like the RBR is in some bad state and won't process the FW file correctly. 

The TFTP process will. 

Is it fairly safe to do the TFTP process over wireless? I understand that it is desired to have a wired connection, but not sure if i have a computer with an Ethernet port. We might have a really old laptop lying around, but not sure.

Message 11 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

WIRED only! 

Message 12 of 25
Jgoldsti
Star

Other key thing is to press and hold the reset button with the router off and keep holding for 30 seconds after you power on the router. I found netgear has an incorrect kB article that does not include this info.

the article posted by furry38e works...

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 13 of 25
CeeBee513
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

WIRED only! 

So I found an old laptop and pushed the 2.7 firmware via TFTP, it said Transfer Successful but it still did NOT work. Once the router booted back up it was still on the 2.5.1.16 version. This is crazy.

EDIT: Just for giggles, I tried it again and set a timer to make sure it was at least 30 seconds and again it said successful but after booting it is STILL on 2.5.1.16. Is performing this supposed to reset the router back to factory defaults in the process? It has not done that, so I am wondering if something is not working right still.

Message 14 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Try pressing the reset button in back of the RBR for 15 seconds then relase. Open up a web browser to 192.168.1.1. Setup wizard should be seen when the top ring LED begins to pulsate WHITE. 

Might try to complete the wizard, then try to manually update FW and see. If this fails, try TFTP again. If this all fails, seems like the RBR is in some bad state and not processing any new FW files correctly. Something to contact NG support and about. 

Message 15 of 25
CeeBee513
Aspirant

All sorts of weird stuff is going on now. The Backhaul (wireless) for the satellite is stuck at Config Sync (even though when I synced them the ring turned blue indicating a good connection). The devices connected to the satellite still work but in the app it shows the connection as poor (Amber). Also in the app it shows the firmware of the Satellite back at 2.5.1.16 even though when I log directly in to the satellite via the IP address it says it has the 2.7 firmware.

I don't know what the heck is going on at this point. Is Netgear going to even help at all if I call? I have had this for setup for a decent amount of time.

EDIT: I found some commands to telnet in and get some satellite info and when I do that it says that the firmware for the satellite is 2.5.1.16. Not sure why the mismatch.

Message 16 of 25
CeeBee513
Aspirant

I was able to get the backhaul back to normal as well as the satellite. I flashed the Satellite back to 2.5.2.4 via the web interface directly connected to the Satellite itself and now everything appears to be working with the Satellite. I am done tinkering for the night, I still want to figure out why the router will not update at all.

Message 17 of 25
CeeBee513
Aspirant

So it appears that the RBR50 doesn't want to do anything relating to firmware or resetting. I still can't get firmware to load and I tried resetting to factory defaults using the Erase option in the UI and it didn't even do a factory reset. Is there anything else I can try to do? Right now everything works, but I don't like the idea that I can't get any security updates or if I see issues at some point not being able to update firmware.
Message 18 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

I would make contact with NG support and a forum moderator to see what your options are. Very odd that the RBR isn't taking any FW updates. Seems like the unit is in some bad state for this area. 

@Blanca_O 

Message 19 of 25
vajim
Master

@CeeBee513 wrote:

I got a notification that my Orbi Router and Satellite had a firmware update available through the Android App so I started the update process. 

Wow....you have to ask how many of these posts begin like this?

The next thing we'll see is a Netgear popup that says..."gotcha"

Message 20 of 25
CeeBee513
Aspirant

@FURRYe38 wrote:

I would make contact with NG support and a forum moderator to see what your options are. Very odd that the RBR isn't taking any FW updates. Seems like the unit is in some bad state for this area. 

@Blanca_O 

Is there a good phone number to try and call? I am well outside of warranty/support so not sure if they will even try to help.

Message 21 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Try sending @Blanca_O a PM first. SInce it's the weekend, i've give it till Monday or Tuesday. 

Do you have a profile setup here> https://www.netgear.com/support/#

There is some support options there...

Message 22 of 25
CeeBee513
Aspirant

I sent a message to the user recommended and received an initial response that they were going to refer me to Level 2 support but I have not heard from anyone yet. I also just sent the following update to them:

Looks like things took a turn for the worse. Last night the router rebooted and it will not reboot at all now. I just get the flasshing white ring on the router. The power LED is usually green, but every once in a while if I try to do something with the reset button to try and force factory defaults it will go red. I was able to TFTP in to it and put a firmware that says it was successful, but just like before it didn't actually take. Now I don't get any internet access at all.

I assume no one has any other suggestions at this point and I should wait for Netgear support?

Message 23 of 25
FURRYe38
Guru

Continue to reach out to the forum moderator.

Message 24 of 25
vajim
Master

Try sending @Blanca_O a PM first. 

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements