Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 Firmware Version V2.7.2.104 WiFi Consistently Losing Internet Connectivity

kenadra
Aspirant

RBR50 Firmware Version V2.7.2.104 WiFi Consistently Losing Internet Connectivity

I recently updated the firmware, and then within a day I am consistently having this issue.  The Spectrum modem and even router's connection to the internet are fine (I can do speed test in the Orbi app).  I can connect to the WiFi with any device, but the WiFi is not connected to internet.  Only the hardwired connection works.  This seems extremely correlated to the recent update.  I've had no stability issues whatsoever until now.  I can even go into the network map in the app, and it all shows green/online.

Does Netgear have any clue about this yet, and is there a patch?  If not, how to do I roll back... to be honest I don't even know when TO roll back because I haven't done a firmware check in a while.  I cannot just deal with it right now, as I work from home.

Thanks,

J

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 23

Accepted Solutions
kenadra
Aspirant

Re: RBR50 Firmware Version V2.7.2.104 WiFi Consistently Losing Internet Connectivity

Thanks all for DNS and Daylight Savings suggestions.  My original config was already customized to use 1.1.1.1 and time.google.com.  I used Google's leap-smearing NTP because my computers also use it.  However, changing these settings did not fix the issue.  As a getaround I have set up my outward facing ISP connection to first go to a Ubiquiti Edge Router X which sets up two different LANs.  My home office is on one, and my Orbi mesh routers use another (and the Orbi gateway address is different from the ERX interface address presented to it as the "internet").  After a couple weeks I have not had my WiFi strangely lose its routing abilities with all my home devices. Plus I get the benefit of being able to reboot Orbi without losing internet in the office. So this does not fix the issue because ultimately I have done nothing with the Netgear system, but it does seem to correct whatever is going wrong with the new firmware.  I absolutely think it is the new firmware version and not my settings.  Extremely strong correlation with new update, as many others have expressed.  Not everyone can change their network setup so this needs to be fixed by Netgear.

View solution in original post

Message 23 of 23

All Replies
vajim
Master

Re: RBR50 Firmware Version V2.7.2.104 WiFi Consistently Losing Internet Connectivity

@kenadra wrote:

I recently updated the firmware, and then within a day I am consistently having this issue.  The Spectrum modem and even router's connection to the internet are fine (I can do speed test in the Orbi app).  I can connect to the WiFi with any device, but the WiFi is not connected to internet.  Only the hardwired connection works.  This seems extremely correlated to the recent update.  I've had no stability issues whatsoever until now.  I can even go into the network map in the app, and it all shows green/online.

Does Netgear have any clue about this yet, and is there a patch?  If not, how to do I roll back... to be honest I don't even know when TO roll back because I haven't done a firmware check in a while.  I cannot just deal with it right now, as I work from home.

Thanks,

J

Lots of folks report the same type of problems.

My recommendation is to roll your firmware back OR wait around for others to come in here and pepper you with 100's of questions none that will fix your problem.  Your choice

Message 2 of 23
greenbaron
Aspirant

I have the same issue, started after upgrading to the same firmware version, and it seems related to DNS. 

Recovery steps that work:

- Reboot

- Re-apply Internet connection settings with DNS manually specified

I use the second method often since it is faster, but I cannot wait for them to fix this issue. EVERY day once or twice this has been happening for the last week since I upgraded.

Message 3 of 23
vajim
Master

@greenbaron wrote:

I have the same issue, started after upgrading to the same firmware version, and it seems related to DNS. 

Recovery steps that work:

- Reboot

- Re-apply Internet connection settings with DNS manually specified

I use the second method often since it is faster, but I cannot wait for them to fix this issue. EVERY day once or twice this has been happening for the last week since I upgraded.

this may work until the next firmware update that YOU execute

Message 4 of 23
NullZeroNull
Tutor

I can confirm that this issue also exists on wired clients as well.

Message 5 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Has a power cycle of the ISP modem/ONT and factory reset of the RBR and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Alternative-ways-to-troubleshoot-instead-of-just-downgrade-FW-...

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-2-7-2-104-firmware-Issues/m-p/2071667/highlight/true#M11...

@NullZeroNull wrote:

I can confirm that this issue also exists on wired clients as well.

Message 6 of 23
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Has a power cycle of the ISP modem/ONT and factory reset of the RBR and setup from scratch been performed since last update?

I believe they are reaching out to the moderators

Message 7 of 23
NullZeroNull
Tutor

Hardware Version RBR50
Firmware Version V2.7.2.104
GUI Language Version V1.0.0.375
Operation Mode Router

Yes, this and the satellites have been rebooted as well as the Spectrum modem.

No, I have not done a fresh setup.  To restore, I have been just hitting "Apply", or "Test" to restore function.

Message 8 of 23
vajim
Master

@NullZeroNull wrote:

Hardware Version RBR50
Operation Mode Router

No, I have not done a fresh setup.  To restore, I have been just hitting "Apply", or "Test" to restore function.

just to make you aware your firmware is suspect

Message 9 of 23
NullZeroNull
Tutor

Thanks @vajim ..  One hopes Netgear engineering is working on a fix.  I am a remote worker so we all know the joy that is a stable connection!

@vajim wrote:

@NullZeroNull wrote:

Hardware Version RBR50
Operation Mode Router

Message 10 of 23
vajim
Master

@NullZeroNull wrote:

Thanks @vajim ..  One hopes Netgear engineering is working on a fix.  I am a remote worker so we all know the joy that is a stable connection!

@vajim wrote:

@NullZeroNull wrote:

Hardware Version RBR50
Operation Mode Router

same here.....im sure they will figure it out.  keep your notes on lessons learned.  Good Luck

Message 11 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a reset and load from your back up if you like. 

Be sure to check your NTP settings. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-intermittent-DNS-lookup-issues/m-p/2071390/highlight/tru...

@NullZeroNull wrote:

Hardware Version RBR50
Operation Mode Router

Message 12 of 23
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try a reset and load from your back up if you like. 

Be sure to check your NTP settings. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-intermittent-DNS-lookup-issues/m-p/2071390/highlight/tru...

@NullZeroNull wrote:

Hardware Version RBR50
Operation Mode Router

I believe they are moving beyond your reset option 

Message 13 of 23
madiscientist
Aspirant

I'm on the same boat, I think: frequent loss of internet connectivity. It is usually lost without losing connection to the Orbi network itself. PC browsers will display a DNS error.

Today's spin was weird: my PC's browser went down, but Zoom stayed open/functional.

I'm on the latest firmware and I did a factory reset and reinstallation yesterday. I have also switched to Google's DNS as primary and Spectrum's as 2&3 instead of letting the Spectrum modem drive.

Posting here with the hope that I'll get notifications as suggestions to solving the overall issue are posted. I'd consider rolling back firmware if I knew how, but there were issues before it, too.
Message 14 of 23
vajim
Master

@madiscientist wrote:
I'm on the same boat, I think: frequent loss of internet connectivity. It is usually lost without losing connection to the Orbi network itself. PC browsers will display a DNS error.

Today's spin was weird: my PC's browser went down, but Zoom stayed open/functional.

I'm on the latest firmware and I did a factory reset and reinstallation yesterday. I have also switched to Google's DNS as primary and Spectrum's as 2&3 instead of letting the Spectrum modem drive.

Posting here with the hope that I'll get notifications as suggestions to solving the overall issue are posted. I'd consider rolling back firmware if I knew how, but there were issues before it, too.

Go to download area above and enter your model number 

Message 15 of 23
719G2
Initiate

I am having the same issue. This is is a serious issue because the wifi is completely down fo rmobile devices and all chromebooks.  

the only exception that I am experiencing is my desktop.  The desktop PC able to see and use the wifi wiout issue.  

I have tried to change password and remove security (PW) but this does not solve the wifi problem. 

Message 16 of 23
sgtgchjr
Aspirant

I am having the same issue.  It started last week. I have my own modem with spectrum, I just  go in and reboot the router. It started happening a couple of times a day at first but now it is about every other day.

Message 17 of 23
NullZeroNull
Tutor

In the advanced settings, if you UN-check "Automatically adjust for Daylight Savings Time" that may fix your issue.  Seems to be working for me, at least.

Screenshot 2021-03-23 081914.png

Message 18 of 23
vajim
Master

@NullZeroNull wrote:

In the advanced settings, if you UN-check "Automatically adjust for Daylight Savings Time" that may fix your issue.  Seems to be working for me, at least.

I believe the moderator here said to uncheck the Traffic Monitor

Message 19 of 23
elon13
Aspirant

Hello, since this FW V2.7.2.104, and reboot, i have some big issues  i never had in 2 years. DNS issues , disconnection issues and now my robot vacuum cannot connect via wifi on the orbi after more than one month without any issue.I have another orbi connected to the orbi router. could i going back to another FW and which one please ? i have too many issues . the S10 galaxy using same dhcp address than our printer scanner since this morning. new issue ! 

Help with this very bad  FW ! 

Message 20 of 23
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Traffic Meter, Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

factory reset and setup from scratch

@elon13 wrote:

Hello, since this FW V2.7.2.104, and reboot, i have some big issues  i never had in 2 years. DNS issues , disconnection issues and now my robot vacuum cannot connect via wifi on the orbi after more than one month without any issue.I have another orbi connected to the orbi router. could i going back to another FW and which one please ? i have too many issues . the S10 galaxy using same dhcp address than our printer scanner since this morning. new issue ! 

Message 21 of 23
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or may not be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Traffic Meter, Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

One User Experience/Configuration:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Most-Stable-Orbi-Configuration/m-p/1941087/highlight/true#M970...

factory reset and setup from scratch

@elon13 wrote:

wouldn't it be easier to start by looking at V2.7.2.104 since we already know the issues?

Message 22 of 23
kenadra
Aspirant

Thanks all for DNS and Daylight Savings suggestions.  My original config was already customized to use 1.1.1.1 and time.google.com.  I used Google's leap-smearing NTP because my computers also use it.  However, changing these settings did not fix the issue.  As a getaround I have set up my outward facing ISP connection to first go to a Ubiquiti Edge Router X which sets up two different LANs.  My home office is on one, and my Orbi mesh routers use another (and the Orbi gateway address is different from the ERX interface address presented to it as the "internet").  After a couple weeks I have not had my WiFi strangely lose its routing abilities with all my home devices. Plus I get the benefit of being able to reboot Orbi without losing internet in the office. So this does not fix the issue because ultimately I have done nothing with the Netgear system, but it does seem to correct whatever is going wrong with the new firmware.  I absolutely think it is the new firmware version and not my settings.  Extremely strong correlation with new update, as many others have expressed.  Not everyone can change their network setup so this needs to be fixed by Netgear.

Message 23 of 23
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7