Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 Flashing White light

Etmom1
Aspirant

RBR50 Flashing White light

Lost power yesterday and the router stopped working (no power surge, it's on a UPS).  Now, it continually flashes the white ring on top.  The power light on the back is green.  Have confirmed that the modem is working. I've attempted the factory reset (putting a paperclip in the reset hole, waited for the power light to turn amber - never did).  I'm stuck. At this point, I'm extremely disappointed in Netgear.  We are 4-6 weeks out of warranty and it looks that I will need to pay $$$ for tech support.  I can't believe that a $300 system only works for a year. Any suggestions?  Tech novice here so I don't have the capabilty to do anything drastic.  Thanks!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 12

@Etmom1 wrote:

Have confirmed that the modem is working.

What is that modem?

Power cuts usually take out both the modem and the router on a network. When the power comes back on, they may start up in the wrong order, with the router starting before the modem is ready. That means that they get confused about which is in charge.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

Message 2 of 12
Mstrbig
Master

Was your Orbi's network cable protected as well? A sugre can come through network cable as easy as through power. That could affect and damage the Orbi's ports.
Make sure orbi is off.
Unplug the router leaving the power supply plugged in for a good 3 minutes.
Hold in reset button, plug in power supply and turn on orbi still pressing reset. Do not let go until you see a red power light. Let go of reset and the power light should turn green and top light flashing while.
Reinstall orbi.
Message 3 of 12
Etmom1
Aspirant

Thanks - I tried that several times and it did nothing.  The Router keeps flashing white ring.

Message 4 of 12
Etmom1
Aspirant

Tried this and still flashing white ring.

Message 5 of 12
Etmom1
Aspirant

@Mstrbig 

Will you please clarify a couple of things for me:

You said "Unplug the router leaving the power supply plugged in for a good 3 minutes".  If I unplug the router how can I leave the power supply plugged in?  Did you mean leave it unplugged for a good 3 minutes?

"Let go of reset and the power light should turn green and top light flashing while"  The top continues to flash white so nothing happens.  Am I missing something?

Thank you! 

Message 6 of 12
Mstrbig
Master

@Etmom1 wrote:

@Mstrbig 

Will you please clarify a couple of things for me:

You said "Unplug the router leaving the power supply plugged in for a good 3 minutes".  If I unplug the router how can I leave the power supply plugged in?  Did you mean leave it unplugged for a good 3 minutes?

"Let go of reset and the power light should turn green and top light flashing while"  The top continues to flash white so nothing happens.  Am I missing something?

Thank you! 

Leve the end of the power supply to the router plugged in, and the end that goes into the socket unplugged

Hold the reset button in while powering up. Do not stop holding in the reset button until the power light turns red. Then let go of the reset button. If successful, the power light will turn green and the top white light will flash. Now you are ready to configure.

Reset the ISP modem, plug a network cable from the ISP modem into the WAN port of the ORBI and run the app to configure as new. The white light is going to flash until you setup the Orbi again.

Message 7 of 12
duderight
Aspirant

+1 on this issue.  Any confirmed solutions?  Same exact scenario for me, power outage last night and then never came back.  Main unit blinks white and satellites are magenta.  I've tried all kinds of troubleshooting, rebooting, factory resetting, setup through the app, connecting directly via Ethernet cable, but nothing has worked.  I cannot get the unit to respond to a ping even when I plug it and a computer into the same hub and config computer manual for a 192.168.1.* address.  I'm out of warranty and well out of the 90 days support joke, but luckily, I bought from Costco.  I'm at the point where I have nothing left to troubleshoot, I can’t wait around with no Internet, so I’m just going to have to return the whole thing and seriously reconsider if Orbi is the right mesh network for me.

Message 8 of 12
Mstrbig
Master

Have you tried what I suggested above Verbatum? Did you reboot the ISP modem, after the power came back on?

Message 9 of 12
duderight
Aspirant

Yes

Message 10 of 12
Etmom1
Aspirant

Thank you for responding. I bit the bullet and signed up for tech support who confirmed that the router was "dead". They could tell from the combination of the lights not working correctly (the top white ring and the power light on the back.)  Got so upset at Netgear, went and bought a Google Nest which turned out to be very unreliable in my house so I went back and purchased the RBK50 (with one satellite) which tech support told me would work with my existing satelittes. With three satellites, I should have great coverage.

Message 11 of 12
Etmom1
Aspirant

I bought mine from Costco too but it was over a year ago and didn't think I could return it.  Tech support confirmed that the router was dead (even though the modem was fine) and I needed a new modem. Ended up buying the system directly from Netgear with extended warranty in the event that we get another power surge (yes, it's plugged into a surge protector).  Tried Google Nest in the interim and it was so unreliable that I'm going back to netgear orbi.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7