Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 Freezing after V2.7.3.22 Update

bote
Aspirant

RBR50 Freezing after V2.7.3.22 Update

I've been using Orbi for several years now with very mixed results, but nothing a wired connection couldn't fix.  The latest firmware update(V2.7.3.22) however has completely ruined my home network. Once or twice an hour my Orbi will lock up or freeze, or something similar. This made my network unuseable, both online and locally. When this happens I can't access the Orbi administration interface at all.  I've done a factory reset, but that didn't help the situation at all. 

Has anyone experienced this and know of a possible fix? 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 29

Accepted Solutions
bote
Aspirant

I ended up resolving this with an older firmware version, and then I used custom firmware to stop auto updates.  It's perfect now but I'm changing to an RBR(S)750 setup, as I managed to get a good deal on a set. 

I'll mark this as solved now.  Thank you for the help to all that replied. Older firmware fixes the problem for anyone who finds this post via google. Whatever way you can come up with for staying at an older firmware is up to you.  I would assume using another router to block the upgrade servers could work with little issue if you run orbi in AP mode. Avoid v2.7.3.22.

View solution in original post

Message 28 of 29

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

From posts on the forum, this firmware version appears to cause problems for some systems, and there seems to be no definitive view on (a) why certain systems are affected and others not, and (b) anything that can be done to get this version to work correctly for those affected systems.  A Factory Reset does not actually return the router to the state it left the factory in.  All user settings are erased and the current version of firmware starts up ready for the user to (a) user it as it is, or (b) configure it.  Since many  customers prefer to change the WiFi name and password, those systems get configured.

One tactice is to manually load a previous version of firmware on the router (and satellites).  Go to www.netgear.com/support. Enter the router model number. Bring up the "Downloads" selections. Click on the "+" sign to show previous firmware versions.  Download the relevant zip files. Unpack the img files. Then use the Orbi web interface and navigate to the Advanced Tab, Administration,Firmware Update and select the Manual Update tab.

The forum also has posts from users who report doing this and their router automatically updating during the night.

If the system is as unusable as you describe, I would manually load the previous firmware and see what happens.

Message 2 of 29
bote
Aspirant

Is there a good way for blocking the automatic update? My reasoning for not rolling back the update is the autoupdate would just bring me back where I am now. Thank you for the help

Message 3 of 29
CrimpOn
Guru

Please check your private messages.

Message 4 of 29
bote
Aspirant

My apologies, it doesn't seem like I have any messages in my inbox. Could you send it again?

Message 5 of 29
CrimpOn
Guru

Did you check the "Private Messages" (picture of an envelop) in the upper right part of the screen?

Message 6 of 29
bote
Aspirant

Yup, unfortunately it seems like the PMs are broken, at least for me

. nopms.png

Message 7 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@bote wrote:

I've been using Orbi for several years now with very mixed results, but nothing a wired connection couldn't fix.  The latest firmware update(V2.7.3.22) however has completely ruined my home network. Once or twice an hour my Orbi will lock up or freeze, or something similar. This made my network unuseable, both online and locally. When this happens I can't access the Orbi administration interface at all.  I've done a factory reset, but that didn't help the situation at all. 

Has anyone experienced this and know of a possible fix? 

Message 8 of 29
bote
Aspirant

My modem is a Netgear CM700 model.  While it could be the modem too, I suppose, my local network is suffering too, which shouldn't be related to the modem.

Message 9 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

You might downgrade back to last working FW version on the RBS then RBR. V104? 

Message 10 of 29
bote
Aspirant

Yeah, it was suggested above. I'll probably do it this week to see if I get any improvement.  I'm just aware that netgear still force feeds the update even if you roll back.

Message 11 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

One can block this if you have a spare router to use in front of the RBR. 

Message 12 of 29
CrimpOn
Guru

@bote wrote:

Yeah, it was suggested above. I'll probably do it this week to see if I get any improvement.  I'm just aware that netgear still force feeds the update even if you roll back.

There is a page on the web that shows how to prevent the Orbi from automatically updating:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/se94mxcfzhpmi1o/Prevent%20Orbi%20from%20Updating.pdf?dl=0 

Message 13 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Better way to stop a update with out having to redue that processs is to use a router in front of the RBR and block 

http.fw.updates1.netgear.com

updates1.netgear.com

on the upstream router. 

Message 14 of 29
bote
Aspirant

I'll try these solutions tomorrow and get back to you guys after. Thanks for the help. 

Message 15 of 29
CrimpOn
Guru

I like the solution of putting a router in front of the Orbi to block connections to Netgear, except:

• Adding a router creates a "Double NAT" which makes port forwarding, OpenVPN, and some types of internet gaming impossible
  • It is not clear to me that another router will block secure connections (https)

It certainly appears that Netgear is forging ahead with forcing automatic firmware updates to V2.7.3.22 regardless of what affect it has on some customers.

Message 16 of 29
X1Zero
Tutor

Seems Netgear is forcing the 2.7.3.22 update. I just don’t understand how.

I have the RBK23 modem/satellites and just a few hours ago everything was force updated to 2.7.3.22. Prior to this, I was happily on 2.5.1.16 for over a year.

The part I don't understand is how this happened, especially since I've manually disabled all automatic updates in the router using the Telnet method. I manually disabled the below configurations (for example) and any other update related configs. I never edited the firmware version as noted in a previous post above however the router has bypassed all updates for the past year except now.

orbi_auto_upgrade=0
auto_check_for_upgrade=0
auto_update=0

I don’t understand how the router bypassed the disabled update configurations?!
Message 17 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume NG puts in code to allow updates regardless on whats set ON the RBR. I tried this with my 8 series Orbi and found the only way to block auto FW updates is to have a upstream router in place that blocks: 

http.fw.updates1.netgear.com and updates1.netgear.com

@X1Zero wrote:
Seems Netgear is forcing the 2.7.3.22 update. I just don’t understand how.

I have the RBK23 modem/satellites and just a few hours ago everything was force updated to 2.7.3.22. Prior to this, I was happily on 2.5.1.16 for over a year.

The part I don't understand is how this happened, especially since I've manually disabled all automatic updates in the router using the Telnet method. I manually disabled the below configurations (for example) and any other update related configs. I never edited the firmware version as noted in a previous post above however the router has bypassed all updates for the past year except now.

orbi_auto_upgrade=0
auto_check_for_upgrade=0
auto_update=0

I don’t understand how the router bypassed the disabled update configurations?!

Message 18 of 29
X1Zero
Tutor

Good call. I also see the Telnet option has been removed from the Orbi debug screen. Does downgrading the firmware restore that function? I suppose my attempt at blocking 2.7 by downgrading would be futile if I went through the Telnet method again as the 2.7 update would likely be force updated again.
Message 19 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe v104 was last version that had telnet still featured...

Message 20 of 29
bote
Aspirant

I haven't tried downgrading or blocking the upgrade servers quite yet.  I had bought a used RBR50 for another project unrelated to my issues.  I've set it up as my house's main router, replacing my previous RBR50.  Installed the latest firmware, and so far I haven't had any issues with connection drops. I'll keep updating this thread if something comes up while testing this RBR50.  I don't know if there's any real difference other than this, but the shell on my previous RBR50 had the softplastic finish, while this newer one lacks it.

Message 21 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Thanks for the update. 

Message 22 of 29
bote
Aspirant

I have an update on the replacement RBR50. The connect drops are still happening on this firmware with it, they just don't last quite as long.  I believe this might be why it seems like the firmware works for some and not others, as if you're streaming media, the connection drop experienced with this new RBR50 wouldn't even be noticeable. For people with a need for a consistent connection, it's very obvious.

Message 23 of 29
FURRYe38
Guru

Try downgrading yet? 

Message 24 of 29
bote
Aspirant

I have spend the past few days trying to downgrade my Orbis, and before they reboot they're already set back to the current firmware version.  This is absurd.

Message 25 of 29
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 28 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7