Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 Getting 1/2 Download Speed Than AT&T Gigabit BGW210-700 Gateway

swolfe2
Aspirant

RBR50 Getting 1/2 Download Speed Than AT&T Gigabit BGW210-700 Gateway

Hello All,

Just had fiber installed, and I'm currently getting the following with the Speed Test directly through the AT&T Gateway. Image

I have the Gateway set up in Passthrough, with the MAC address of the RBR50 selected. Image 2

I'm using the newest Orbi Firmware (2.5.1.16), but am getting about 1/2 of the DL speed, and 2/3 UL speeds that are coming to the Gateway. Image 3

Am I missing something?

Any help you all could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 Getting 1/2 Download Speed Than AT&T Gigabit BGW210-700 Gateway

Message 2 of 7
swolfe2
Aspirant

I followed the steps in this post, and actually LOWERED my DL speed to 385 in the Orbi with it in AP Mode. Changing it back to Router Mode increased it back to 505.

The Dummy Switch is interesting. I have a Netgear GS108E-300NAS that's been in a box for a while that I might be able to use. However, I'd really rather use the setup we currently have if I can.

Message 3 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you power off the modem for 30 seconds then back on after changing to AP mode? 

The main issue will be this modem and RBR. They don't seem to play well with each other. 

Message 4 of 7
swolfe2
Aspirant

Yes, I did full 60 second power cycles for the changes.

Message 5 of 7
aakshey
Star

The Orbi test is often wrong. Use SpeedTest.net. 

Message 6 of 7
pkgadd
Apprentice

Connecting your orbi directly to the ONT should be possible (in router mode, if you're lucky plain ethernet with DHCP - in less lucky cases you might have configure VLANs or PPPoE, look through your ISP's documentation for setting up third party routers) and I'd try that for testing, however VoIP/ SIP telephony or TV subscriptions might be tied to your ISP provided device. Both of these can be solved differently, if your ISP provides you with the necessary access credentials for SIP (and TV is usually just configuring the correct VLAN setting), but not all ISPs do.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7