Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 Guest Network Stopped Working

wonderbliss
Guide

RBR50 Guest Network Stopped Working

My guest network has stopped working, and I have no clue why. Help page says to upgrade to latest firmware version. I've done that, at least as far as Netgear will let me manually (to V2.3.5.30). After a time, it went back online for a while, but then went back offline. What am I doing wrong?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 Guest Network Stopped Working

Try disabling Guest network on the RBR. then reboot the RBR, then go back in and re-enable Guest network on the RBR. 

Use a PC and web browser to do this with the RBR.

Message 2 of 10
wonderbliss
Guide

Thank you very much. I'll try that and report back if it worked or not.

Message 3 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

Is the Orbi being administered using the Orbi web interface or the Orbi "app"?

My guess is that firmware update is not relevant to this particular situation.  (Yes, in many instances of computer troubleshooting, the first thing to eliminate is "old firmware".  This is not one of those situations.)

Message 4 of 10
wonderbliss
Guide

I administrate by logging into the web interface.

Something is weird to me, though. Per suggestion, I disabled the guest network and then rebooted my modem and orbi router, and now my guest network is working even though I haven't re-enabled it. How can that be?

Message 5 of 10
CrimpOn
Guru

@wonderbliss wrote:

Something is weird to me, though. Per suggestion, I disabled the guest network and then rebooted my modem and orbi router, and now my guest network is working even though I haven't re-enabled it. How can that be?

You are probably more careful than I am.  (Far too many times) I have made a change on the Orbi and forgot to click the "Apply" button at the top.  I move on to other tasks, and am then surprised, "Nothing Happened.  Stupid Orbi."  If you can replicate this phenomenon, that will be Big News.  (i.e. uncheck the "Enable Guest" box, click Apply, wait for the Orbi to do whatever the heck it takes so long to accomplish, then perform a reboot.

Message 6 of 10
wonderbliss
Guide

I'm definitely on my guest network, and it's definitely working right now, and the Enable Guest Network is definitely unchecked! (see attached screenshot)

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

What happens if you put a check mark in the box to enable it and apply the setting?

@wonderbliss wrote:

I'm definitely on my guest network, and it's definitely working right now, and the Enable Guest Network is definitely unchecked! (see attached screenshot)

Message 8 of 10
wonderbliss
Guide

To be honest, I'm kinda afraid to do that right now, as I have some other things to attend to. I will try it later and let you know, though, as it's very curious.

Thank you very much, both of you, for your help! 

@FURRYe38 wrote:

What happens if you put a check mark in the box to enable it and apply the setting?

@wonderbliss wrote:

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds good. Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation