Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 - Have You Installed V2.7.2.104

vajim
Master

Re: RBR50 - Have You Installed V2.7.2.104

@CN_RBK-53 wrote:

Agree, I am planning to revert back.

I have downloaded V2.6.1.40 files from support.

As this is my first manual update, which do you advise to update first - satellites or router?

https://kb.netgear.com/31573/How-do-I-manually-upgrade-firmware-on-my-Orbi-router-using-orbilogin-co...

Message 51 of 67
Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

Why not search the forum?
Or just disable „traffic-meter“.
Message 52 of 67
vajim
Master

@Ha_Ku_Na wrote:
Why not search the forum?
Or just disable „traffic-meter“.

good point....any word from NG central as to when they plan to 'fix' all of this?  Like a updated firmware.

Message 53 of 67
EdwinK
Tutor

@jschaff wrote:

I'm having some issues that seemd to occur post firmware update.  Where I manually initiated an update thru the Orbi Web GUI interface (not the app).  However I'm not sure if my issue is coincidiental, or if it is related to my v102 to v104 firmware update.  It's also worth mentioning that I didn't notice the issue until about a week after my upgrade (not to say that it wasn't there, just that was the first I noticed).  Thus I'm posting here just to see if anyone else has run into something like this.

My issue:  For the past couple of weeks when I get up in the morning I find my devices reporting no internet.  Sometimes this is just a few devices (mix of wired and wireless), and other times it is all devices.  And twice this has happened in the middle of the day.  While troubleshooting, I've discoverd that it's often (but not always) that the impacted devices don't have DNS.  More specidifaclly those devices can ping out to a static IP address like 8.8.8.8, but they are unable to resolve a websites host name such as google, yahoo, espn, etc...  If I disconnect and reconnect an impacted device, or renewing it's dhcp, that seems to have no impact on the symptoms.  Howver most of the time I can log into the router's admin console using the IP address, go to the advanced tab, go to setup, and then go to internet setup.  On the top of that page there is a button labeled Test.  If I click on the test button, more often then not all my devices start working again.  Sometimes I get a 404 error that the router can't get out to the internet, in which case I then reboot the Orbi router and everything starts working again.  

I know that this is not an internet issue, as my network is a Motorola SBG6580 cable modem / router (wifi completely disabled), with the Orbi RBR50 (running primary and guest wifi networks) connected to one of the Motorola's 4 ethernet ports, and then a Netgear GSS116E switch (for most of my wired connections) connected to one of the Orbi router's 4 ethernet ports. 

When the issue is occuring I can log into the Motorola's admin interface and test my internet connectivity.  Additionally I can directly connect a laptop to the Motorola SBG6580's ethernet port and see that I get DNS via DHCP... and that I can again connect to the internet and resolve hostnames for internet sites.  Finally I can log into the orbi and see that it has a static IP configured on it's WAN interface along with staticly defined DNS servers (such as google's 8.8.8.8).  But again a wired or wireless device chained off the Orbi router or Orbi satallite, doesn't resolve hostnames due to missing DNS servers... unless the device in question had statically configured dns servers.

Anyhow due to the frequencly of the issue, I'm considering trying to reset the ORBI to stock and then reconfigure it from scratch... Just to see if that makes the issue go away, as some people in this thread mentioned that seems to get rid of ghosts in the system.

Thanks for reading this lengthy post and any comments you might provide,
jschaff

I am having the EXACT same problems ever since I've updated to V2.7.2.104!

No more internet connections but I am able to ping to 8.8.8.8 so my providers router still has a connection.

It is the RBR50 that is messing things up. When I reboot it everything works again until it fails again in the exact same manner.

The RBK53S was running stable since I bought it back in september 2020 until.... I upgraded to this firmware.

So yesterday I decided to downgrade to V2.7.2.102. Went fine except for the part that my password got lost? Weird. Couldn't get back in, not even with the Password reset feature. The answers so my secret questions disappeard as well.

Had to factory reset and reinstall from scratch and reload my saved config to get it working again. Downside was that it was automatically updated to V2.7.2.104 again 😞

Today the internet connection got lost again.....

I decided giving the firmware downgrade another chance and went back again to V2.7.2.102. This time I made sure to doublecheck my password!

Entered the change password settings and when I tried to change it the router claimed my old password was incorrect. Huh? 

Maybe it got reverted to default? Which is password.... that failed as well. Finally tried leaving it blank and that worked!

So downgrading the firmware gives a blank password? Without any notice ahead? That's a bad and confusing thing!

Anyway, running V2.7.2.102 now with my own config and password in place. Lets see how this goes.... hopefuly it will be stable again.

Having no internet in Covid time with everyone around and working at home sucks bigtime. So @netgear, please fix this!!!

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 54 of 67
Ha_Ku_Na
Luminary

@EdwinK if you have traffic-meter enabled -> disable it

there are a lot of post/threads in this forum regarding this bug.

Message 55 of 67
EdwinK
Tutor

@Ha_Ku_Na  I think you're right about this since my internet connection just disappeared on me again.

Turned off Traffic Meter now.

Hopefully that will help.

Thanks for the comment

Message 56 of 67
TristanC
Initiate

This is interesting. I suffered significant internet access issues after daylight savings started, although I didn’t put two and two together at the time. For me disabling Netgear Armor resolved the issue (and I believe there are other threads around DNS resolving issues with Armor). I have now disabled the traffic meter as well and will see how it goes over the next few days. Ideally I would like to be able to use Armor, at least for the free trial period, but as my ISP provides a similar service and my modem has protection built in it probably isn’t necessary.

Thanks for the advice on this.
Message 57 of 67
jschaff
Tutor

@EdwinK wrote:

@Ha_Ku_Na  I think you're right about this since my internet connection just disappeared on me again.

Thanks for the comment

Just an FYI  in case it helps, I took a slighlty different approach then what Edwink suggested.  I still have traffic meter active, however in the advanced NTP settings I disabled / unchecked the option for daylight savings time.  I've not had a problem since.  Please note that I'm not using Circle / parental controls, but I do have the app armor subscription enabled.

Fourm discussion about Orbi's intermitant DNS related issues:  

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Intermittent-DNS-Errors-and-WiFi-Issues/td-p/1950768

Message 58 of 67
FURRYe38
Guru

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Daylight-Savings-Time-NTP-DNS-Issues/m-p/2074343/highlight/tru...

@jschaff wrote:

@EdwinK wrote:

Thanks for the comment

Just an FYI  in case it helps, I took a slighlty different approach then what Edwink suggested.  I still have traffic meter active, however in the advanced NTP settings I disabled / unchecked the option for daylight savings time.  I've not had a problem since.  Please note that I'm not using Circle / parental controls, but I do have the app armor subscription enabled.

Fourm discussion about Orbi's intermitant DNS related issues:  

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-AX/Intermittent-DNS-Errors-and-WiFi-Issues/td-p/1950768

Message 59 of 67
nontechnical
Tutor

Thanks for the tip. I have disabled traffic meter, will see if this helps.

--------------------------

I used to love my orbi. Past 5 days have caused me to re-evaluate the relationship 🙂 

Message 60 of 67
FURRYe38
Guru

Hopefully we can help make that good again. 

@nontechnical wrote:

--------------------------

I used to love my orbi. Past 5 days have caused me to re-evaluate the relationship 🙂 

Message 61 of 67
vajim
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Hopefully we can help make that good again. 

as soon as they fix the firmware and not release furture versions without better QA

Message 62 of 67
CN_RBK-53
Tutor

I disabled traffic meter, but left daylight savings enabled

Internet has been stable for 2 days, after daily drops over the past week.

Fingers crossed

Message 63 of 67
EdwinK
Tutor

Since the internet issues reoccured even with proper firmware downgrade I turned of the Traffic Meter as suggested.

That helped stabilize things!

Meanwhile I've upgrade the firmware again to V2.7.2.104 and with Traffic Meter disabled it stays stable for now.

So the Daylight Savings Time, NTP, DNS Issues can be avoided by disabling Traffic Meter. 

Quote from Netgear:

"As a result of working with a few of you, we've discovered that some of the issues have been caused as a result of the Day Light Savings event when the traffic meter is enabled. We are testing a trial firmware at this time and hope to have it released in the very near future. However, we recommend disabling the traffic meter as a workaround until the issue is confirmed to be resolved in this new firmware. "

Message 64 of 67
FURRYe38
Guru

Same here, after I beleive a time change happens, some odd occurs with TM. I re-enabled DST and TM and my RBK50 has been working fine. NG has supposedly been working on this. WIll have to see on next FW updatae and another time change. 

@EdwinK wrote:

Since the internet issues reoccured even with proper firmware downgrade I turned of the Traffic Meter as suggested.

That helped stabilize things!

Meanwhile I've upgrade the firmware again to V2.7.2.104 and with Traffic Meter disabled it stays stable for now.

So the Daylight Savings Time, NTP, DNS Issues can be avoided by disabling Traffic Meter. 

Quote from Netgear:

"As a result of working with a few of you, we've discovered that some of the issues have been caused as a result of the Day Light Savings event when the traffic meter is enabled. We are testing a trial firmware at this time and hope to have it released in the very near future. However, we recommend disabling the traffic meter as a workaround until the issue is confirmed to be resolved in this new firmware. "

Message 65 of 67
nontechnical
Tutor

Thanks CrimpOn! Followed your suggestion and ever since then my network has been stable. Don't know how you worked out that the Traffic Meter was the problem but your fix worked really well!

Message 66 of 67
CrimpOn
Guru

While I would dearly love to be the person who diagnosed this issue, it was actually Netgear engineers who relayed the solution.

(Why they did not simply "fix it" and issue a firmware update is another matter.)

What a dismal experience for so many people.

Message 67 of 67
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7