Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 - High packet loss in games

Lemingtons
Aspirant

RBR50 - High packet loss in games

Recently switched over to the Orbi mesh system (1 router + 1 satellite), but have been experiencing high packet loss in video games such as CS:GO, Dota 2, Team Fortress 2, Rainbow Six: Siege and many more. This didn't occur previously on my router + extender/AP set-up.

I'm running the RBR50 + 1 satellite, and am connected wireless to the said satellite. My Orbi is running firmware version 2.3.5.30. I've attached a screenshot of my Orbi's advanced wireless settings page. Not sure if that's configured properly.

Any help is appreciated, thank you!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 - High packet loss in games

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Try connecting to the RBR and see if the same thing happens...

Message 2 of 6
Lemingtons
Aspirant

The manufacturer is Huawei, and model number is HG8244H.

The size of my home is approximately 5,000 sqft. The main Orbi is on the first floor and the satellite is on the second floor. My PC is on the second floor, in the room next to the satellite. The distance between the main Orbi and the satellite is less than 30 feet, with open space.

The 2.4GHz channel is 12 and the 5GHz channel is 48. There's about two other WiFi connections nearby that are my neighbours, but they are on different channels.

Will try disabling things one-by-one to see if there's any improvement.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What mode is your modem working in? Router or is it bridged? 

Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly. https://medium.com/@lff0305/how-to-set-hg8244h-in-bridge-mode-20ca417380fe
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Message 4 of 6
Lemingtons
Aspirant

The Huawei router thing functions as my optical network terminal. My main Orbi is already in router mode, connected via ethernet to the ONT.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

The model you reported shows that there is a built in router there. 

I would confirm with your ISP that the unit is fully bridged or at least passing thru a public IP address to the router. 

Please try gaming with your device connected to the RBR. Turn OFF the RBS and see if your still having PL in games while connected to the RBR. 

Also test gaming over a wired connection. 

You might check out pingplotter.com to help you find some info on your PL. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7