Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 How to Dual Broadcast 2.4 and 5.0 GHZ

DecepticonR2D2
Aspirant

RBR50 How to Dual Broadcast 2.4 and 5.0 GHZ

After 9 hours of reading posts and trying multiple differnt things i am at a loss. Please HELP.

I have a Sagecom Router (provided by ISP) that is Dual Band broadcasting network called Spectrum_2G and Spectrum_5G

I have an ORBI RBR50 broadcasting WiFi network called Maple Family (in 5G)

I have reset ORBI to factory setup and reinstalled.  I have tried to access the Orbi on the desktop via browser and ip address and it comes back site cant be reached. After reinstalling I can access the Orbi app on my mobile. but controlls are limited. I have not found and "Advanced Settings" page.

How do I get this to broadcast in both 2.4 and 5.0 GHZ

Message 1 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR50 How to Dual Broadcast 2.4 and 5.0 GHZ

I have no experience with mobile Orbi apps, sorry.  I exclusively use the web interface.  Since you did a complete reset on the Orbi, a web browser on a PC connected to a LAN port on the Orbi should be able to connect to 192.168.1.1 with user name "admin" and password "password".  You are saying that this does not work for you?  You set it up using that mobile app to have the network name "Maple Family:?  How do you know that there is not a 2.4G network with the same name?

I Googled Sagecom Router User Guide and found https://d15yx0mnc9teae.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/sup_F5260UserGuide15Apr17-1493911320.pdf

This has a picture of the product label which says this router has a default IP of 192.168.1.1 , user name "admin" and password "admin".  This is NOT GOOD.  (You may have a different Sagecom router.)  What is happening is the Orbi wakes up and asks the Sagecom Router for an IP address.  The Safecom says something like 192.168.x.x (but, NOT "1.1").  Under normal circumstances, the Orbi gets a WAN (wide area network) IP that is NOT 192.168.1.x and then sets itself up as 192.168.1.1 on the LAN side.  Since it knows that 192.168.1.1 is already taken, the Orbi has selected something else for itself.

This has never happened to me, so I am at a loss for how to proceed.

My first step would be to open a "CMD" window and type "ipconfig /all".  This will tell you the IP address the Orbi has given your PC.  Whatever IP address it says is the "gateway" should be the Orbi.  You can also use some sort of network scan tool to find out the IP address of everything on your network.  One of the devices should match the MAC address of your Orbi. Either way, you can use a browser to connect to that IP address.

(This is the point where people who know a lot more than I do are welcome to correct my errors.)

This is also the place to point out the the default behavior for Orbi is to broadcast the same network name on both 2.4 and 5G radios.

Message 2 of 7
ekhalil
Master

I agree with the analysis above by @CrimpOn.

Please note the folllowing:

1. If you really have the Sagemcom F@st 5260 router (which does not have any modem inside) then I think that you can just eliminate it and -instead- connect the modem directly to Orbi, which will simplify your setup.
  2. Your Sagemcom router has routing capability which Orbi also has and this will cause you issues as was mentioned by @CrimpOn 
  3. Also the wifi networks from your Sagemcom router will interfere with Orbi's unless you manually select the channels that Sagemcom and Orbi operate on.
  4. If you decide to keep the Sagemcom router then you have two options:
    1. Keep Sagemcom as your router, switch of the wifi in that router and set Orbi in AP mode
    2. Set Sagemcom in bridged mode, passthrough mode or DMZ forwarding and keep Orbi in Router Mode.
Message 3 of 7
DecepticonR2D2
Aspirant

I do have a Sagecom 5260.

when i access 192.168.1.1 it opens the Sagecom access. In this area it tells me my Orbi is 192.168.1.12

When I try to access this from a browser it comes back with this response: 

"This site can’t be reached

192.168.1.12 took too long to respond."

Spectrum (formerly TWC) set up the modem and router originally. I added the Orbi and satalite to Extend my coverage.  

It seems to be setup as Line in (wall jack) to Modem (Arris TM1602) to Router (Sagecom 5260) to Orbi RBR50.

Is the Orbi RBR50 a Router? Can the Orbi and Sagecom switch places? I also have a work phone (internet phone) that currently runs through the Sagecom. Will doing this make it so I can access the Orbi? And allow me to Broadcast in both 2.4 and 5.0 GHZ?

Sorry so many questions. Appreciate the help.

Message 4 of 7
ekhalil
Master

@DecepticonR2D2 wrote:

It seems to be setup as Line in (wall jack) to Modem (Arris TM1602) to Router (Sagecom 5260) to Orbi RBR50.

I think you can easily just remove the Sagemcom and connect Orbi directly to the Arris modem

@DecepticonR2D2 wrote:

....... I also have a work phone (internet phone) that currently runs through the Sagecom. Will doing this make it so I can access the Orbi? And allow me to Broadcast in both 2.4 and 5.0 GHZ?

Yes, you can attach your internet phone to Orbi the same way as you did for the Sagemcom router. Is it a wired IP phone?

Yes, Orbi will be then your main router and broadcast both on 2.4 and 5 GHz.

Message 5 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

My guess is that you cannot connect to the Orbi at 192.168.1.12 because the Orbi is in the default state of "Remote Management not enabled.  To the Orbi, anything coming through the WAN port is "remote", i.e. on the Internet somewhere with all the evil people.  If you connected to one of the LAN ports on the Orbi and did an "ipconfig /all", you would probably see that the Orbi (gateway) has an entirely different IP address on the LAN side.

About that phone.  If your "work phone" is simply a Voice over IP phone that can be connected anywhere on the Internet, then for certain you can take out Spectrum's modem and use your own.  My "land line" phone is from Spectrum and communicates over special frequency bands within the cable spectrum.  If I remove Spectrum's modem/router, then I lose that phone service entirely.  Actually, I have a different model of Ubee modem/router than most customers because I wanted (a) to keep the phone number I have had for 40 years, and (b) find the voice quality of mobile phones unpleasant. and inferior to a "land line."

i.e. Did they give you a box and say, "go home and install this", or are they paying for a phone line from Spectrum?

Message 6 of 7

@CrimpOn wrote:

I Googled Sagecom Router User Guide and found https://d15yx0mnc9teae.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/sup_F5260UserGuide15Apr17-1493911320.pdf

This has a picture of the product label which says this router has a default IP of 192.168.1.1 , user name "admin" and password "admin".  This is NOT GOOD

This points to the heart of the problem. There are two routers on this network.

That can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

Unless you have specific reasons for using two routers – to create two separate networks for example – it is often easier to use just one router and then to set up the second router as a wifi access point. Netgear advises this, as does just about every networking site you will visit.

I am with @ekhalil 

Yes, you can attach your internet phone to Orbi the same way as you did for the Sagemcom router. Is it a wired IP phone?

Do you have any reason for using the Sagemcom router?

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7