Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 Internet outage - DNS issue

ssgtweasel
Guide

RBR50 Internet outage - DNS issue

Woke up this morning and not able to access internet. This seems to be intermittent issue for the past few weeks. Besides this morning, this happened maybe a few days ago and then a few times the previous week. I believe the issue is DNS because:

I did notice my Voip hardphone is still up and functioning. (It is configured with static IP to corp SBC), which tells me my internet isn’t really down. Confirm Cable Modem is up and running (blue lights) and via webpage (192.168.100.1)

Troubleshooting:

Testing internet using Chrome for google.com doesn’t work; Email isn’t’ working, etc.

Check Orbi Router status and internet is “good” 😊

Using cmd, “ping cnn.com” and fails!!

I can ping ISP router and ISP DNS server

Changed my PC network adapter ipv4 DNS setting from DNS DHCP to 8.8.8.8 and “internet” now works!!!

I REBOOT the Orbi (NOT cable modem) and internet works…..

So I believe the current issue within the RBR50 and not my ISP/Cablemodem/etc

Any suggestions?????

NOTES:

I am NOT able to select ISP DHCP and static ISP DNS, its only all dhcp or static for ISP setting….

I have latest firmware - V2.5.1.8

I have 2 remote satellites (RBS50)s

Llast week I did make manual change within Oribi debug screen changing ISP lease from 86400 to 1200 as suggested on another thread…that actually seemed to help but today ruin that thought.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Another-RBR50-Dropping-Internet-Connection/m-p/1875405#M84885

• From browser go to the router's debug page (http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm). Use your router's IP address or http://orbilogin.com/debug.htm
  • Enter admin as user name and your router’s management password
  • Tick "Enable Telnet" option
  • Use Telnet from a computer attached to Orbi to connect to your Router telnet 192.168.1.1 and enter admin and the same password as above
  • Enter the following commands:
    • root@RBR50:/# config get wan_lease    — Should give you --> 86400 as default
    • root@RBR50:/# config set wan_lease=1200
    • root@RBR50:/# config commit

Basic Infomation

CPU Load

28.9926%

Memory Usage(Used/Total)

177MB/495MB

Flash Usage(Used/Total)

2945MB/4096MB

Network Session(Active/Total)

1025/65536

System Uptime

04:17:15

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Power OFF both ISP modem and RBR for 30 seconds, Power ON the ISP modem and let it sync. Then power ON the RBR. The top ring LED should blink, then slowly pulsate WHITE, then BLUE then turn OFF. Test a wired PC to the back of the RBR and see if you get internet access. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Message 2 of 24
ssgtweasel
Guide

Suddenlink is ISP (cablemodem)

Arris SB6190 cablemodem

Message 3 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if a full power off and back on with both modem and RBR helps...

That modem model has known vulnerabilities just FYI: 

http://www.badmodems.com

Message 4 of 24
ssgtweasel
Guide

I will test later thanks

I guess I don't see how the SB6190 cable modem could be causing the issue if only rebooting the Orbi RBR50 solved the issues I had this morning.

Message 5 of 24
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@ssgtweasel , you're not alone running into Orbi DNS bug.  There are several threads with similar issues.  There's no fix from NG yet, but there are few workarounds.  Here is an example of a good workaround until the real fix is released:

@dbwiddis wrote:

Eventually I found that using the GUI to "release" and "renew" DHCP solved the problem without a reboot, and after a bit more research, traced the problem to the "dnsmasq" service running on the router as part of Circle.  I was (and am) able to recover the DNS by telnetting into the router and executing "/etc/init.d/dnsmasq restart".

Check this post for more details.  Good luck!

Message 6 of 24
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Mistakenly referring back to this thread instead of this, which is the intended post.  

Message 7 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

If the system had been working up to this morning, then this may point to an ISP/Modem issue. Hopefully the power cycle will help here. 

Just added the info link about the problems with the 6190 for your info only. 

@ssgtweasel wrote:

I will test later thanks

I guess I don't see how the SB6190 cable modem could be causing the issue if only rebooting the Orbi RBR50 solved the issues I had this morning.

Message 8 of 24
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @ssgtweasel

We are looking into this issue and would like to request for debug logs. I will send you a private message for more information. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 9 of 24
Smge1lc
Guide

I too have been having this issue and the common denominator seems to be the DNS. I thought the issue was the priority of my satellites but that solution only worked for a day and I have the same issue. Anyone kill circle? If that the issue? I'll try that.

I've tried the following:
Set mac address to computer
Turn off circle so I can set the DNS to Google only then to start up circle again
Turn off Daisy
Shut off 2 of 4 satellites

The router does say there is an updated firmware available but it will hang when the link is clicked.
Message 10 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Can you reset your RBR and setup from scratch, this time don't enable Circle or Armor to see if DNS is stable? 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

@Smge1lc wrote:
I too have been having this issue and the common denominator seems to be the DNS. I thought the issue was the priority of my satellites but that solution only worked for a day and I have the same issue. Anyone kill circle? If that the issue? I'll try that.

I've tried the following:
Set mac address to computer
Turn off circle so I can set the DNS to Google only then to start up circle again
Turn off Daisy
Shut off 2 of 4 satellites

The router does say there is an updated firmware available but it will hang when the link is clicked.

Message 11 of 24
ssgtweasel
Guide

Update as of 27 March 2020....

I rebooted the RBR50 last night after work. After rebooting, internet seemed to be not fully functioning…I could ping cnn.com however my sip hardphone wouldn’t register and still confused about that…

After 3 times rebooting, I would get netlogin.net certificate errors on our iphones via wifi. No issue when not using the wifi…I’m still confused what I was getting that…so I ended up resetting to factory defaults and reprogramming from scratch

I did NOT enable parental control/circle/etc

I was able to reset the 2 RBS50s that I have (hardwired)

At this time, everything is functioning well. The iphone using Sprint Wifi calling is now working (as it was intermittent the past week or such)

I can only assume there was some sort of corruption or possible high processor usage (during debug screen, snapshots seemed to be over 85%)

NOTE: I do have the latest firmware

Message 12 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

How was the FW updated, thru auto update or did you manually install the files? Seen bad update bahaviors with auto update pushes. I prefer manual FW file loading and a reset. 

@ssgtweasel wrote:

Update as of 27 March 2020....

I rebooted the RBR50 last night after work. After rebooting, internet seemed to be not fully functioning…I could ping cnn.com however my sip hardphone wouldn’t register and still confused about that…

After 3 times rebooting, I would get netlogin.net certificate errors on our iphones via wifi. No issue when not using the wifi…I’m still confused what I was getting that…so I ended up resetting to factory defaults and reprogramming from scratch

I did NOT enable parental control/circle/etc

I was able to reset the 2 RBS50s that I have (hardwired)

At this time, everything is functioning well. The iphone using Sprint Wifi calling is now working (as it was intermittent the past week or such)

I can only assume there was some sort of corruption or possible high processor usage (during debug screen, snapshots seemed to be over 85%)

NOTE: I do have the latest firmware

Message 13 of 24
Smge1lc
Guide

Thank you for your followup.

I am currently seeing if turning off circle is the stabilizing effort.  I've only shut Circle off as of last evening so I will see if this is working.
If DHCP or DNS fails again, I have no option but to reset.  I am avoiding this option because I have several MACs that have been set to static ip and I dont want to set these up again.

BTW, Orbi, when it works, is the best and most comprehensive signal I have had in my home.  This system has been extremely stable for the past year.  I did just add the smaller version Orbi RBK23s (satellites only) and have had issues starting from then.  I removed those 2 satellites to see if that would stabilize the system, but after 2 days, I had DNS issues again.

Should I have have DNS issues again under my current fix (no Circle), I will reset and report back.

BTW, Router Firmware Version V2.5.1.8 and modem is an Arris non router modem from Spectrum.
Model: A6150|AC1200 Dual Band WiFi USB Mini Adapter, RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 14 of 24
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

Before you reset the router, I suggest capturing screenshots or printouts of the various configuration pages that you customized settings on.  That way if you have to manually reconfigure things, you have a reference of how it was setup before.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 15 of 24
Smge1lc
Guide

That's fascinating.  So you think high bandwith usage might cause the DNS issue?

I have not Telnet into the router but that might be a interesting tool.

I do have a significan amount of IPs under DHCP due to a lot of smart devices, .ie light switches.  Interesting is that sometimes Alexa will work when Google Home is down, and vice versa.  This is even the case when DNS is set to 8.8.8.8 which I assume is Google Home's default DNS.

BTW, Circle is an utter dissapointment.  I am coming from the Tp-Link Deco mesh series and the parental controls are more comprehensive and FREE.  I understand Circle has abandoned v.1 which is what is incorporated into the Orbi.  Could this be the destabalizing issue?  Again, only on hour 12 since I disabled Circle.

What's intriguing to me is that high traffic could also be an issue.  Usually I know the system is down because my kids are in the middle of Steam or Xbox One and it drops out.   If that is the issue, this would be sad and highly dissapointing.

Message 16 of 24
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

If it's a DNS resolution issue, check out this thread and see if the workaround works for you.

Message 17 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know what you experience with Circle disabled. If he happens again, try a factory reset and set up from scratch. Those of us who have done this don't seem to have this problem with DNS. 

@Smge1lc wrote:

Thank you for your followup.

I am currently seeing if turning off circle is the stabilizing effort.  I've only shut Circle off as of last evening so I will see if this is working.
If DHCP or DNS fails again, I have no option but to reset.  I am avoiding this option because I have several MACs that have been set to static ip and I dont want to set these up again.

BTW, Orbi, when it works, is the best and most comprehensive signal I have had in my home.  This system has been extremely stable for the past year.  I did just add the smaller version Orbi RBK23s (satellites only) and have had issues starting from then.  I removed those 2 satellites to see if that would stabilize the system, but after 2 days, I had DNS issues again.

Should I have have DNS issues again under my current fix (no Circle), I will reset and report back.

BTW, Router Firmware Version V2.5.1.8 and modem is an Arris non router modem from Spectrum.

Message 18 of 24
Smge1lc
Guide

Day 1 and a half and internet is stable with Circle disabled.  After day two, I intend to add back a satellite to see if stability is still present.

DNS and Circle = failure?

Message 19 of 24
kgividen
Guide

I’m on day 2 with circle disabled and two satellites running without issues. I think something broke in the circle service a couple of weeks ago. Everything was working fine for me for two years until then. Orbi is still doing all my dhcp, dns, etc. just without circle.
Message 20 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Great to hear. Seems that Circle is causing problems. Please post about this in the Circle app forum:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/bd-p/en-home-circle

Thank you for letting us know. 

@Smge1lc wrote:

Day 1 and a half and internet is stable with Circle disabled.  After day two, I intend to add back a satellite to see if stability is still present.

DNS and Circle = failure?

Message 21 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

Great to hear. Seems that Circle is causing problems. Please post about this in the Circle app forum:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Circle-Smart-Parental-Controls/bd-p/en-home-circle

Thank you for letting us know. 

@kgividen wrote:
I’m on day 2 with circle disabled and two satellites running without issues. I think something broke in the circle service a couple of weeks ago. Everything was working fine for me for two years until then. Orbi is still doing all my dhcp, dns, etc. just without circle.

Message 22 of 24
NKG
Aspirant
Aspirant

Router keeps dropping DNS and wifi stops working, however I am still able to use skyp 4 business and remote apps, teamviewer continues to work. However, I am unable to browse the interenate and look at my Orbi router settings through the app or the web interface. This started happening after updating to the latest firware, any ideas?

Latest Firware - 2.5.1.16

Message 23 of 24
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

@NKG wrote:

Router keeps dropping DNS and wifi stops working, however I am still able to use skyp 4 business and remote apps, teamviewer continues to work. However, I am unable to browse the interenate and look at my Orbi router settings through the app or the web interface. This started happening after updating to the latest firware, any ideas?

Latest Firware - 2.5.1.16

Message 24 of 24
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 23 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 8 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7