Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 Keeps disconnectiog

chubbyhubby
Aspirant

RBR50 Keeps disconnectiog

Greetings All,

1st post, so a total newb on this, needless to say. I've had the RBR50 for over a year, but recently it shows the magenta ring at least 3 times a day. I normally unplug & plug back in, or cycle the power switch. Internet reconnects within a few minutes. Very frustrating to have this (not so cheap) undependable router. I can't say for sure when the issue started. It was fine previously. 

As for the details, I have FW 2.5.0.38, and am in router mode. Beamforming, MU-MIMO, and Fast roaming are all turned off, if it matters. I also have one satellite hooked up, app 35 ft away. 

My modem is an Arris SB8200. ISP is RCN 330 Meg and has been rock solid in its' delivery. Both router & modem are plugged into a UPC UPS backup.

I'm not sure what else I need to post for help troubleshooting. I haven't done a factory reset yet, as this will be a PIA due to everything I have running.

Please help as I need to get this back to being dependable once again. I'd rather not switch to an Eero, but will if this can't be resolved....

Many thanks in advance,

CH

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 15
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

@chubbyhubby , you are running v2.5.0.x firmware, and it was retracted by Netgear after many bugs and stability issues were found. NG disabled autoupdate in recent releases due to the issues that it has caused.  I suggest manually upgrading your RBR50 to v2.5.1.8 available from https://www.netgear.com/suppzio fort/product/RBR50.aspx#download

1. Backup your settings of the RBR50 router (in case you need to restore or revert)

2. Download the zip file for both the RBR50 router and any satellites you have

3. Unzip the files

4. Manually upgrade the firmware on the satellites first using their image file

5. Finally, upgrade the firmware on the RBR50 router using the RBR-v2.5.1.8.img file

I have been running V2.5.1.8 on my RBR50 router and RBS50 satellites for over a month and it has been very stable. Only reported issue that some users have reported with this firmware release is that the iOS app may not see all the devices (the issue with the iOS app, not the firmware, as the Android app and web interface work fine).  Also, the https SSL certificate is self signed, which is only an issue if you enable remote management on your router.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 2 of 15
chubbyhubby
Aspirant

Many thanks!!! I've just installed it and will follow up if there are any issues. It's a shame that the fix was so difficult to find. Most people (myself included) would find it easier to just think it's a bad router, and switch to another brand, like Eero. You'd think Netgear could have at least sent an email alert advising on the upgrade......

Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

NG does send out emails when security updates are available. v2.5.1.8 wasn't a security update. 

Message 4 of 15
chubbyhubby
Aspirant

I had high hopes this would fix the problem, but there's no change. 1 hour after updating the satellite and then router, it lost connection again. For the last 4 days, it has to be restarted app every 4 hours. I'm back to square one.

Any further ideas?

Message 5 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Any other wifi devices in your home that broadcast there own wifi signal? 

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Has a factory reset and setup from scratch been performed since last FW update? 

@chubbyhubby wrote:

I had high hopes this would fix the problem, but there's no change. 1 hour after updating the satellite and then router, it lost connection again. For the last 4 days, it has to be restarted app every 4 hours. I'm back to square one.

Any further ideas?

Message 6 of 15
chubbyhubby
Aspirant

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?    App 2100 sq ft.

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?    30 ft

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. Was Auto, switched to channel 1
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? Yes   If so, how many?  Just 1, and he's been there for years.

Any other wifi devices in your home that broadcast there own wifi signal?   No

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings     Beam forming has been turned back on.

Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).    All of these are disabled.

I reset the satellite, and then the router after making the above changes.

I've made all of the recommended changes, and there has been no improvement. I have to keep resetting the router 2-3 times daily. There haven't been any changes in my set up before the router started acting up a couple of months ago. Extremely frustrating to have a non-functioning router for much of the day.

Any more ideas????

Message 7 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I would make contact with NG support and ask for additional help and information on this. You may have a faulty RBR that needs to be RMAd. 

@Blanca_O 

@chubbyhubby wrote:

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?    App 2100 sq ft.

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)?    30 ft

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. Was Auto, switched to channel 1
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? Yes   If so, how many?  Just 1, and he's been there for years.

Any other wifi devices in your home that broadcast there own wifi signal?   No

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings     Beam forming has been turned back on.

Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).    All of these are disabled.

I reset the satellite, and then the router after making the above changes.

I've made all of the recommended changes, and there has been no improvement. I have to keep resetting the router 2-3 times daily. There haven't been any changes in my set up before the router started acting up a couple of months ago. Extremely frustrating to have a non-functioning router for much of the day.

Any more ideas????

Message 8 of 15
chubbyhubby
Aspirant

I'm past the warranty period, they won't let me return it. The only support NG seems to offer is paid support. I've had it for a little over a year.
Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Ok. Kind of ran out of ideas. Smiley Frustrated

Message 10 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Ok. Kind of ran out of ideas. Smiley Frustrated

Smiley Sad

Message 11 of 15
UeO
Aspirant
Aspirant

Have you tried the RBR50 in AP mode instead of router mode? Your SB8200 modem will hand out ip adresses instead of the Orbi.

If it must remain in router mode, try entering the IP / mask / gateway / dns manualy.

Perhaps you could swap the power supplies between the RBS50 and RBR50?

Another suggestion is to check/swap the ethernet cable between the SB8200 and the wan port of the RBR50.

Message 12 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

The modem won't hand out IP addresses since the modem is a modem only. No build in router. 

@UeO wrote:

Have you tried the RBR50 in AP mode instead of router mode? Your SB8200 modem will hand out ip adresses instead of the Orbi.

If it must remain in router mode, try entering the IP / mask / gateway / dns manualy.

Perhaps you could swap the power supplies between the RBS50 and RBR50?

Another suggestion is to check/swap the ethernet cable between the SB8200 and the wan port of the RBR50.

Message 13 of 15
UeO
Aspirant
Aspirant

My mistake, FURRYe38  is right. AP mode is no option in your setup.

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements