Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 No reset, no wifi, flashing white, tftp no help... cost to repair?

davidphil01
Aspirant

RBR50 No reset, no wifi, flashing white, tftp no help... cost to repair?

RBR50 was working fine in the AM, came back after 2 hours and it was blinking white... and no longer broadcasting the network to connect to.  I tried resetting.. no luck, successful updated via tftp, but nothing changed and in the end I am left with a brick that I am unable to reset and / or connect.  I am looking to do a warranty claim via my credit card insurance and they asked if I was able to get an answer on what the repair cost would be or if it is repairable.  It seems there is no service shop to repair this... is that accurate?  In the past, my routers have lasted a lot longer, but if one died, I simply replaced it.  This one is less than 2 years old.  Has anyone tried to claim warranty like this and did what did you end up submitting?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
microchip8
Master

Re: RBR50 No reset, no wifi, flashing white, tftp no help... cost to repair?

If you're within the warrenty period, NETGEAR should have not problem replacing it. Otherwise "it's dead, Jim" and you should look at something else

Message 2 of 6

@davidphil01 wrote:

...successful updated via tftp, but nothing changed ...

Those two don't go together. If there was no change, it probably wasn't successful.

But with so little information to go on, it is anybody's guess as to what really happened.

For more help, provide a bit more detail about what happened during the process.

There is more severe, recovery reset, that you could also try:

• Press reset for 30 seconds
  • Keep pressing reset while removing power
  • Keep pressing reset for another 30 seconds while apply power

TFTP isn't the easiest operation, so if you are forced to use it, you could try a web search to find videos that guide you through the process.

Message 3 of 6
davidphil01
Aspirant

Here is some addl detail

Network worked fine in the AM... was gone 2 hours... came home and RBR 50 was blinking white and SSID no longer being broadcast

I reset modem by pushing back reset button... nothing changed... kept blinking white and nothing changed 

I then followed the instruction like below.. held reset down for 30.. removed power... powered back on, all while holding reset for addl 30 sec.  It looked like something good might happen... I can't recall if stopped blinking, or went back to blinking white.. but no magenta... and end results were the same, can't set up, no SSID broadcast.

Tried Tftp... successfully followed instruction and updated, even though I was pretty sure I was running the latest firmware... in the end the results are the same... can't connect, no SSID.

Anything I am missing?

Message 4 of 6

@davidphil01 wrote:

Network worked fine in the AM... was gone 2 hours... came home and RBR 50 was blinking white and SSID no longer being broadcast

TFTP is there so mend broken firmware. Be very careful playing with TFTP, you run the risk of causing permanent damage.

If this "blinking white" is the "ring" at the top, then is not the sign of corrupt firmware.

To check for that, look at the Power LED on the back. This will flash red with firmware errors.

This is not your problem. Look elsewhere for solutions, before you cause irreparable harm.

Start by telling people what the modem/router (gateway) sits in front of your Orbi.

You might get better help of you put your message in the correct section.

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk Mesh System. (This is easily done, given Netgear's complicated community structure.)

Many questions apply to different types of device, so you might get responses here, but you might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers specific to your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

Orbi - NETGEAR Communities

In the meantime you could visit the support pages:

Support | NETGEAR

Feed in your model number and check the documentation for your hardware.

You may have done this already. I can't tell from your message.

I mention it because Netgear gave up on supplying paper manuals years ago and people sometimes miss the downloads.

Message 5 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@davidphil01 wrote:

I am looking to do a warranty claim via my credit card insurance and they asked if I was able to get an answer on what the repair cost would be or if it is repairable.  It seems there is no service shop to repair this... is that accurate?

Will be interesting to see how the credit card extended warranty works out (I have it as well on many purchases).  You are correct, I have never heard any mention of a repair service for Orbi WiFi routers (or actually ANY Netgear routers of any type.)  I think you can answer the insurance folks, "No. There is not a repair facility.  It is totally broken. Send me the money and I'll send you the broken router."

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7