Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 ORBI using Western Digital 1.0 TB hard drive on USB port

Spiker604
Aspirant

RBR50 ORBI using Western Digital 1.0 TB hard drive on USB port

I am trying to use my Western Digital USB hard drive with my ORBI RBR50 mesh system and am having no luck.  Just wondering if anyone has had success hooking one of these up to the USB port on the Router and been able to use it as a hard drive accessible to other computers on the network.  Thanks in advance!!

Mike

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 ORBI using Western Digital 1.0 TB hard drive on USB port

USB storage is not supported on Orbi. Users asked for it however NG seems to not be willing to bring it to the table. USB was removed on Orbi AC v2 and Orbi AX going forward. 

I recommend you find a alternative solution to get USB working for storage. Maybe there is a USB to LAN adapter than could work. Or migrate to actual NAS device which is better designed for networking storage. 

Good Luck. 

Message 2 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Although plugging the Western Digital 1.0 TB hard drive directly into the Orbi may not work, I believe you can plug it into a PC (laptop or desktop) along your network.

Message 3 of 5
Spiker604
Aspirant

That is what I am currently doing, but one of the reasons for me buying this mesh system is the USB port for my external drive. I have read in the past posts from people that have had luck with earlier firmwares, but it seems that they have disabled this feature on the newer firmware. Very inconvenient!!
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 5
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Spiker604 wrote:
That is what I am currently doing, but one of the reasons for me buying this mesh system is the USB port for my external drive. I have read in the past posts from people that have had luck with earlier firmwares, but it seems that they have disabled this feature on the newer firmware. Very inconvenient!!

Looks like NG has been thinking about this for over a year:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/How-can-I-connect-an-external-hard-drive-to-Orbi-Router-RBR-50...

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7