Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 Orbi DHCP assigned some IPs that cannot access to internet

Chitat
Aspirant

RBR50 Orbi DHCP assigned some IPs that cannot access to internet

My Config RBR50 restricted DHCP IP range from 21 to 99, but some of the devices auto assigned .1XX and cannot access to internet. This situation appear not only in wifi but also in LAN environment, I am updated to latest firmware, how can i solve this problem?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP modem/ONT has a built in router already. This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

I would try option #2 first, then try #3 if this doesn't change anything. 

I would also change the IP address pool size on the RBR to 192.168.1.100 to .200 while the RBR is in router mode. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
Chitat
Aspirant

Case 1, A STB is assigned a 192.168.1.23, work smooth, after an hour, it stop working, After investigate, the IP change to 192.168.1.101 and cannot access internet

Case 2, A PC is connected to LAN with router LAN port and assigned with router reserved IP 192.168.1.11, After an hour, the IP change to 192.168.1.103 and cannot access internet

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

Factory reset the RBR and this time, set the DHCP IP address pool size for 192.168.1.100 to .200. Anything inside this pool will get auto IP addresses that can be reserved ON the router. Anything on either side of this pool can be static IP addressed ON devices. 

What devices do you have all connected to the system? 

Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@Chitat wrote:

My Config RBR50 restricted DHCP IP range from 21 to 99, but some of the devices auto assigned .1XX and cannot access to internet. This situation appear not only in wifi but also in LAN environment, I am updated to latest firmware, how can i solve this problem?

Please describe what the Orbi shows on the Orbi web interface, Advanced Tab->Setup->LAN Setup.  For example, my Orbi shows:

IP Address 192.168.1.1

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

This means that any device with an IP address from 192.168.1.2 through 192.168 1.254 should be able to access the internet.

I may have told the Orbi to only assign IP addresses in a part of this space, but ALL of these addresses should work  (Many people set aside part of this space for devices that they "assign" IP addresses to.)

So, on one of the devices that cannot reach the internet, what does that device show for its IP configuration?  i.e. does it show for the IP address, default gateway, and subnet mask?

Message 4 of 8
Chitat
Aspirant

i reset to default setting and setup a ethernet backhaul with 1 satelite. fixed a device IP in LAN configuration, but still can't fix the problem
for example, my iphone reserverd a IP 192.168.1.7 in orbi configuration,
i still get a strange ip in my iphone 192.168.1.100 without internet access
and after i forget and rejoing the wifi network, it may sometime get a ip that can connect to internet,
let say 192.168.1.22 but i can't get my reserved ip 192.168.1.7
In order to make the device work with my reserved IP, i have to set both orbi donfig page and device configuration, however, some of my device have no static ip configuration.

Another strange situation, i have a set top box with an DHCP IP 192.168.1.23, everything work find, and sometime it will auto switch to another ip without internet access, let say 192.168.1.155

After my investiguration all IP that larger than .100 will not have internet access

My configutation is fibre -> HUAWei HP8045 -> WAN -> Orbi RBK50 + satlite

i reset to default setting and setup a ethernet backhaul with 1 satelite. fixed a device IP in LAN configuration, but still can't fix the problem
for example, my iphone reserverd a IP 192.168.1.7 in orbi configuration,
i still get a strange ip in my iphone 192.168.1.100 without internet access
and after i forget and rejoing the wifi network, it may sometime get a ip that can connect to internet,
let say 192.168.1.22 but i can't get my reserved ip 192.168.1.7
In order to make the device work with my reserved IP, i have to set both orbi donfig page and device configuration, however, some of my device have no static ip configuration.

Another strange situation, i have a set top box with an DHCP IP 192.168.1.23, everything work find, and sometime it will auto switch to another ip without internet access, let say 192.168.1.155

After my investiguration all IP that larger than .100 will not have internet access

My configutation is fibre -> HUAWei HP8045 -> WAN -> Orbi RBK50 + satlite

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Your ISP modem/ONT has a built in router already. This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ/ExposedHost or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop 

I would try option #2 first, then try #3 if this doesn't change anything. 

I would also change the IP address pool size on the RBR to 192.168.1.100 to .200 while the RBR is in router mode. 

Message 6 of 8
Chitat
Aspirant

Thx you save my life! Option 2 fix the problem!

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Awesome. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Chitat wrote:

Thx you save my life! Option 2 fix the problem!

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7