Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50: Playstation gaming on wifi EXTREMELY BAD

wallywizard
Aspirant

RBR50: Playstation gaming on wifi EXTREMELY BAD

Problem: Playstation is lagging very bad, can hardly play.

Orbi RBR50 (firmware v2.5.1.8)

• channel 2.4Ghz (I tried different channels, 1,6,11 etc..)
  • back haul is on 5Ghz

Residence is a two story 1400sqft condo

ISP = COX 

• download 100+ mbps
  • upload 10+ mbps

Router is on lower level (where the main cox line coming in). My playstation is on the 2nd floor connected to a satellite. My gaming experience (fornite) is very terrible. I tried connecting to the satellite via ethernet and WIFI, both ways resulted in same terrible problem.  Game lags and my ping is about 40. 

I am able to go online and browse, netflix, etc no problem. The issue seems to be only when I am trying to game. 

I even tried to uncheck daisy chain and other features to see if it helped but it did not. Does anyone know what else I can do?

Thank you 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50: Playstation gaming on wifi EXTREMELY BAD

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Turn OFF the RBS and connect the console to the RBR via wireless, does gaming still exhibit this when connected to the RBR? 

Ethernet wire connected game consoles is preferred. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Please try a factory reset and setup from scratch with the RBR and RBS.

Message 2 of 4
wallywizard
Aspirant

• For my 2.4ghz I've tried channels 1,6,11
  • ive rebooted/factory reset (brand new orbi)
  • yes many neighbors (condo)
  • PlayStation is wired into satellite. Router is on different floor. 
  • cable modem is 8yrs old Cisco .. I don't know the exact model. 
Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Turn down the power on the RBR from 100% to 75 or 50%. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Gaming consoles have best performance if directly wired to the RBR. 

Please find model# of ISP Modem. 

@wallywizard wrote:
  • For my 2.4ghz I've tried channels 1,6,11
  • ive rebooted/factory reset (brand new orbi)
  • yes many neighbors (condo)
  • PlayStation is wired into satellite. Router is on different floor. 
  • cable modem is 8yrs old Cisco .. I don't know the exact model. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7