Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 Problem

dnh3155
Tutor

RBR50 Problem

This system is a disappointment,  I tried to sign into the community, but can barely stay online long enough to do it.  Then, I signed in three times, and immediately receved the message that my session timed out.  One of my satellites stopped functioning. I made 5 calls, spoke to 5 different people, and spent over 2-1/2 hours on the phone, trying the same things over and over, until it was finally agreed that my satellite needed to be replaced. On the third call, I started mentioning than my system wouldn’t stay connected to WiFi.   Now, I have to reconnect every few minutes. The system worked great for about 4 months, now is barely functional. I googled this problem, and it appears that many have the same complaint.  I’ll be fortunate to stay online long enough to publish.  We have a larger home, and this seemed to be the best mesh system to cover the square footage.  Is anyone in the community having the same trouble?  Any solutions?

Message 1 of 26
ekhalil
Master

Can you please give use more information about your setup so we can try to help:

1. What ISP modem/router are you using?
  2. Is Orbi in Router or AP Mode?
  3. What wired and wireless devices do you normally have connected to Orbi?
  4. What wifi channels are you using in Orbi and how does the wifi radio look like in your surrounding?
Message 2 of 26
Chuck_M
Mentor

Did your original ISP modem have a wireless capability?  Is it still there?  What is the make/model of it.

Probably a simple solution to your issue, so although frustrating, there is hope.

Message 3 of 26
dnh3155
Tutor

Thanks for your response. 

I have an Arris modem. When I started having problems, Comcast told me I had to be in bridge mode. That didn’t help matters. I got notice this morning that there was a firmware update for Orbi. I did the update, turned off bridge mode on the modem, and changed router mode to MP. Not sure if this is the entire solution, but I’ve been online for over two hours with no interruption. The longest in over a week. Fingers crossed. 

Message 4 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

@dnh3155 wrote:

I have an Arris modem. When I started having problems, Comcast told me I had to be in bridge mode. That didn’t help matters. I got notice this morning that there was a firmware update for Orbi. I did the update, turned off bridge mode on the modem, and changed router mode to MP. Not sure if this is the entire solution, but I’ve been online for over two hours with no interruption. The longest in over a week. Fingers crossed. 

Message 5 of 26
ekhalil
Master

@dnh3155 wrote:

Great, hopefully that will solve your issues. Please let us knoe how it goes! 🙂

Message 6 of 26
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @dnh3155 

Can you confirm the firmware loaded to your Orbi System? Is it 2.3.0.32? 

How are your connections so far? 

Regards,
Blanca
Community Team

Message 7 of 26
dnh3155
Tutor

I just updated to 2.2.1.210. Message says that’s the highest. How do I get to the version in your email?
Message 8 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Looks lilke the files have been pulled from the download site. 

Please be patient. 

@dnh3155 wrote:
I just updated to 2.2.1.210. Message says that’s the highest. How do I get to the version in your email?

Message 9 of 26
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @dnh3155

Please be informed that firmware v2.2.1.212 and v2.3.0.32 are now available on our support site 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBR50.aspx#download

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 10 of 26
Geo67
Guide

Cannot upgrade to firmware 2.2.1.212 which is needed in order to reach 2.3.0.32.

I have 2.2.1.210 and even the dashboard says no new upgrades available. When downloading 2.2.1.212 from official website it stores as a ISO file to be burned onto DVD-R.

Not only is this very cumbersome, but it doesn't work. Tried on two PCs. One doesn't recognise it, the other says ISO file is corrupted!! Please fix and advise.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 11 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

You only need to download the FW files to your PC, they will come in .zip format. Do not attempt to change the format to anything else. Just unzip the files on your PC, then using the routers web page, navigate to the location where the files were unzip and select the .chk file. 

Please use IE11 or FireFox browsers for this. Disable any security browser add-ons before starting this. 

@Geo67 wrote:

Cannot upgrade to firmware 2.2.1.212 which is needed in order to reach 2.3.0.32.

I have 2.2.1.210 and even the dashboard says no new upgrades available. When downloading 2.2.1.212 from official website it stores as a ISO file to be burned onto DVD-R.

Not only is this very cumbersome, but it doesn't work. Tried on two PCs. One doesn't recognise it, the other says ISO file is corrupted!! Please fix and advise.

Message 12 of 26
Geo67
Guide

Thank you so much! I managed it by locating the IMG file and isolating it on the PC where I downloaded it and then browsing manually for it via the Netgear Dashboard. I manually did this for RBR50 v.212 then satellite RBS50, then RBR50 v.032 and again then for RBS50. So four downloads in all but now system is up to speed. Only not sure when the RBW30 will get a firmmware update 🙂

Message 13 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Good to hear. Glad thats working for you. 

YA the RBW has a update however some are seeing a problem loading the FW file. Not sure if yours has already been updated or not. 

@Geo67 wrote:

Thank you so much! I managed it by locating the IMG file and isolating it on the PC where I downloaded it and then browsing manually for it via the Netgear Dashboard. I manually did this for RBR50 v.212 then satellite RBS50, then RBR50 v.032 and again then for RBS50. So four downloads in all but now system is up to speed. Only not sure when the RBW30 will get a firmmware update 🙂

Message 14 of 26
Geo67
Guide

I can confirm my RBW30 is still running on V2.2.1.204

So far not seeing improved speeds but hopefully the firmware upgrades will lead to a more stable speed and reception. 

Thanks again

Message 15 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

You can try v2.3 and see. You have to manually download and install this file thru the RBWs web page. You can see if you can get it loaded. Users are having problems with the file extension being .chk and the UI is asking for an .IMG file. Some are not having problems. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBW30-Firmware-2-3-0-4/td-p/1721905/jump-to/first-unread-messa...

Let us know what happens if you try this. 

@Geo67 wrote:

I can confirm my RBW30 is still running on V2.2.1.204

So far not seeing improved speeds but hopefully the firmware upgrades will lead to a more stable speed and reception. 

Thanks again

Message 16 of 26
Geo67
Guide

thank you. Experience tells me it is sage to hold back if others are having a dubious experience. I might pluck up the courage someday but rather hope Netgear would make the upgrades smoother. Not sure why the auto updates didn't work this time as in the past. I assume because the latest FW is so new that it only responds via manual upload at this time.

Message 17 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Understand. 

Yes, I believe NG holds back on auto updates until there maybe more confidence from users as feedback comes in. I think there stance on pushing auto updates in the past can come to bite them some so there offering more beta versions to users who want to test and looking at forum feedback to get a better idea of when the probably turn on AutoUpdate. So Manual updates are good for now. I personally like manual updates. Smiley Wink

@Geo67 wrote:

thank you. Experience tells me it is sage to hold back if others are having a dubious experience. I might pluck up the courage someday but rather hope Netgear would make the upgrades smoother. Not sure why the auto updates didn't work this time as in the past. I assume because the latest FW is so new that it only responds via manual upload at this time.

Message 18 of 26
Geo67
Guide

Ok, I am a sucker for innovation. So I went ahead with the RBW30 FW upgrade. Pleased to say the chk file was fine and it installed. All items on my network are now at their newest FW.

I think it is wise of them to await feedback this way. I can see the fun of manually upgrading if you know what you do. But the biggest criticism of Netgear from customers has been that upgrades are complicated and adding extra satellites to the network can be cumbersome. Anyway, no complaints here. Cheers!

Message 19 of 26
Chuck_M
Mentor

Good job...  I know it felt risky and hope it works smoothly for you.  Look forward to your assessment.

Message 20 of 26
Geo67
Guide

Thank you Chuck. Happy to feedback in the next few days if any hiccups. If you don't hear from me it is because I am busily surfing LOL.

Message 21 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

Thank you for taking the leap. Glad the FW updated well for you. 

Let us know if you see any problems with it. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Geo67 wrote:

Ok, I am a sucker for innovation. So I went ahead with the RBW30 FW upgrade. Pleased to say the chk file was fine and it installed. All items on my network are now at their newest FW.

I think it is wise of them to await feedback this way. I can see the fun of manually upgrading if you know what you do. But the biggest criticism of Netgear from customers has been that upgrades are complicated and adding extra satellites to the network can be cumbersome. Anyway, no complaints here. Cheers!

Message 22 of 26
Geo67
Guide

So far so good. It's too early to confirm whether signal is more stable but in past had some brief dropouts esp when streaming movies from Amazon etc. Also no detectable increase in speed of connection. Apart from a 10 year old desktop PC which manages to get 170mb download via satellite on a 220mb ISP router service most laptops upstairs feeding off same satellite and adjacent that old PC manage just 20mb and usually 2.4khz not 5khz. Even brand new Surfacebook cant get 50mb download. Uploads are never adversely affected. Any ideas?
Message 23 of 26
FURRYe38
Guru

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Wire connect PCs to the base to test for speeds first. Then try wireless. 

Some older dual core CPUs can't handle some higher speeds like 1Gb. Should be good for 200Mb. I'm using 200/10 here and see to spec speeds on my 11 year old AMD and Mac Book Pro 2008 ON wireless. 

@Geo67 wrote:
So far so good. It's too early to confirm whether signal is more stable but in past had some brief dropouts esp when streaming movies from Amazon etc. Also no detectable increase in speed of connection. Apart from a 10 year old desktop PC which manages to get 170mb download via satellite on a 220mb ISP router service most laptops upstairs feeding off same satellite and adjacent that old PC manage just 20mb and usually 2.4khz not 5khz. Even brand new Surfacebook cant get 50mb download. Uploads are never adversely affected. Any ideas?

Message 24 of 26
Geo67
Guide

Will give it a try although likely next week.
Wifi neighbours nearby indeed and most people use the same cable tv ISP.
Do I set the channels in my Orbi (says auto in top right of dashboard but doubt it!) Or do you mean in the Virgin Router of my ISP?
thank you.
Message 25 of 26
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7