Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 Problem

DougKaufman
Aspirant

RBR50 Problem

Hello I have a RBR 50 Orbi Base and 2 RBR 50 satellites. I have used them for about 18 months and it sbeen fine. Then last week, it stopped working. The base can't hold a connection to the modem for longer then a few seconds. When it is connected the speeeds (Up and down are perfect) but then it won't stay connected. And the satellite's won't connct to the base. Actually they will signal blue that its connected but it never connects according to the app. I called Netgear and they were not helpful at all. I'm stuck with a $750 mesh systen that isn't working. Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS40| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi (Add-on Satellite)
Message 1 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 Problem

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO.

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 7
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @DougKaufman

Welcome to NETGEAR Community! 

How often does it disconnect? If issue re-occur, please bypass the router and check if you have connection straight from the modem. 

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 3 of 7
DougKaufman
Aspirant

So I called Netgear support last week and the person wasn't helpful. I called in again and they said to leave a vm and someone would call me. 3 days later, no one had called. Last night I was on with their Technical support for 3 hours and still no solution. 

Something that came up that was very confusing to me was the situation where netgear told me they would work with me to get my system running again, but then I had to pay $150 and they would refund me that money in 8 months. I've never heard of that. The people on the phone could not give me a straight answer as to why that policy was in place. Anyone understand that?

Message 4 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

I have no experience with Netgear support.  If Netgear is like most vendors, after a product passes the warranty period (which can be as short as 90 days - certainly 18 months is "out of warranty") they begin to charge for technical support.  I have never heard of anybody giving the money back.

Perhaps you could provide more details about what is happening.

• Everything was fine for 18 months and then suddenly your network went bonkers.  Did anything change about that time?  (add new devices?  install a software update?  cable provider did something?)
  • Perhaps "a few seconds" is hyperbole?  i.e. if the Orbi is literally up for seconds, no one has time to perform any tests of upload, download, performance, etc.  How are you able to log into the Orbi community and post a question?  (Using some other internet?)
  • You mention the "app".  How do you interact with the Orbi?  Using the web interface with a browser (Firefox, Chrome, Safari, etc.)?  Or, using a Netgear app on (iPhone? Android?)  My sense if that most of the community members interact with Orbi using the web interface, specifically with a PC or iMac that is connected to the Orbi with an ethernet cable.  I, myself, have never used an "app" and do not intend to.
  • Have you done a reset on the Orbi?  On the web interface, on the "Advanced" tab, select "Reboot" under Router Information. Back in my MS-DOS days, the first thing Tech Support would recommend is, "Turn it off and back on again."  (I called it the Big Red Switch.)  (You have probably done this many times, but it never hurts to ask.  Turn off the router and satellites.  Turn on only the router and see if it is stable.  Then, connect one satellite at a time.)
  • Blanca-O offers good advice.  Trouble shooting is often a process of elimination.  If your modem goes down, the Orbi goes down with it.  (This is not likely the cause of things like satellite not connecting, but if you eliminate the modem as a problem, at least that is "off the table.")

OK?

Message 5 of 7

@DougKaufman wrote:

So I called Netgear support last week and the person wasn't helpful. I called in again and they said to leave a vm and someone would call me. 3 days later, no one had called. Last night I was on with their Technical support for 3 hours and still no solution. 

Who did you call? A  number you found with a web search?

If so that won't be Netgear, just one of those scamsters buying ad space.

Netgear itself does not provide paid for support. It farms that out to GearHead Technical Support.

GearHead Support

The way to get into Netgear's support system is through MyNetgear. Or deal with issues here, it can be quicker and more effective.

Message 6 of 7
Chuck_M
Mentor

Question:  Have you talked to your ISP to ensure that your equipment above the RBR50 is operating properly?  

Before troubleshooting the RBR50, I would make sure that there isnt something fundamentally wrong with your cable modem or that your ISP hasnt inadvertantly reconfigured your service.  I have seen this before!

Does your cable modem have status lights on it?  What are they telling you?

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7