Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 - Problems setting up devices requiring 2.4GHZ and using an iPhone (Yes, I've searched)

NetBoy13
Aspirant

RBR50 - Problems setting up devices requiring 2.4GHZ and using an iPhone (Yes, I've searched)

Here's my setup:

RBR50 with 1 Satellite (running firmware 2.5.2.4)

iPhone 7 (iOS 14.2)

Device - Inkbird Grilling Thermometer (requires 2.4Ghz)

Here's what I've tried:

1) Followed mfr's instructions - Did not work

2) Turned 5Ghz down to 25% - Did not work

3) Disabled broadcast of 5Ghz on RBR50, forgot network on iPhone, re-enabled network on iPhone - Did not work. iPhone repeatedly connects via 5Ghz.

4) I started to try and telnet into the RBR50 to poke around per some other suggestions, but not successful:

telnet: connect to address <my router ip address>: Connection refused

telnet: Unable to connect to remote host

At this point, I'm at a dead end. I have no other issues with my network. There are 24 devices connected with no issues whatsoever. Thanks for any guidance you can provide.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: RBR50 - Problems setting up devices requiring 2.4GHZ and using an iPhone (Yes, I've searched)

when mesh networks first came out, I used an old router or even hotspot. I'd set it with the same ssid/password as the mesh router and only have its 2.4ghz on. I'd shut off the mesh network, setup the device on the hotspot/old router, then shut off the hotspot/old router, and the IoT device would auto connect to the orbi. 

I haven't had to do that in years but its an option. 

Message 2 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@NetBoy13 wrote:

Device - Inkbird Grilling Thermometer (requires 2.4Ghz)

1) Followed mfr's instructions - Did not work

2) Turned 5Ghz down to 25% - Did not work

3) Disabled broadcast of 5Ghz on RBR50, forgot network on iPhone, re-enabled network on iPhone - Did not work. iPhone repeatedly connects via 5Ghz.

Both the "fast flash" and the "slow flash" failed?  At which step did they fail?

https://inkbird.shop/collections/wilreless-thermometer/products/ibbq-4t 

How was it determined that the iPhone connected at 5G? (from the Orbi "Attached Devices" display or from wireless settings on the iPhone?)

Message 3 of 6
NetBoy13
Aspirant

Fast Flash - Fails / Times out at the step where it is trying to make the connection (screen on phone shows 1/90, 2/90 etc.)

Slow Flash - Fails / Times out at the step where it is trying to make the connection (screen on phone shows 1%, 2% etc.)

I determined that the iPhone was connected via 5G from the Netgear Attached Devices screen. When I forgot the network on the iPhone, I waited until it disappeared from that screen, then I logged back in and waited until it reappeared.

Message 4 of 6
CrimpOn
Guru

@NetBoy13 wrote:

Fast Flash - Fails / Times out at the step where it is trying to make the connection (screen on phone shows 1/90, 2/90 etc.)

Slow Flash - Fails / Times out at the step where it is trying to make the connection (screen on phone shows 1%, 2% etc.)

I determined that the iPhone was connected via 5G from the Netgear Attached Devices screen. When I forgot the network on the iPhone, I waited until it disappeared from that screen, then I logged back in and waited until it reappeared.

Thanks.  It's frustrating that the iPhone network setting does not show the connection frequency? (My Android clearly says "Frequency 5G" or "Frequency 2.4G". )

The video is so blurry that I cannot figure out the difference between the WiFi states that the user chooses from. Have you tried them all?

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

I would turn down the power out put on the 5Ghz frequency on the RBR, turn OFF ALL RBS. Then you'll need to walk out at a distance, several feet or more from the RBR, turn off the radio on the iPhone then back on, then see if you can get your device setup. The iphone should pick the 2.4Ghz frequency over the 5Ghz since it's power is reduces and the distance from the RBR should help force the iPhone to pick the 2.4Ghz since it's power is stronger than 5Ghz. 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7