Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50/RBK50 Drops WiFi every 30 seconds

uiucguy6
Tutor

RBR50/RBK50 Drops WiFi every 30 seconds

Recently, my RBR50 has been dropping the WiFi connection every 15-30 seconds. Yesterday, I performed a factory reset. That seemed to work fine for about 24 hours, but the issue started again. The internet connection via Ethernet from the RBR50 works. I have the WiFi turned off on my pc that is connected through the Ethernet. Is it the firmware? If so, what are my options? This isn’t the first time I’ve had issues with Netgear products. I’m about done buying from Netgear.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
uiucguy6
Tutor

Re: RBR50/RBK50 Drops WiFi every 30 seconds

I MIGHT have figured out the solution. Somewhere along the way, the satellite (RBS50) firmware went out of sync with the firmware for the router (RBR50). I have a feeling this is contributing to my internet wifi dropping every 15-30 seconds. Any devices I have connected via ethernet to the router have worked fine, therefore I was suspicious of the communication between the router and the satellite. The satellite's firmware was still stuck on V2.0.0.74 while the router's firmware keeps updating to later versions. Therefore, I assumed if I somehow get the satellite to update, then perhaps I can get it back in sync with the router and prevent dropped the dropped wifi.

Here are my steps:

1.) Download the latest firmware (V2.1.2.18) for BOTH the router and satellite from the NETGEAR support webpage for your Orbi device by going here: https://kb.netgear.com/000053549/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-1-2-18 

(Important: You may want to either print off the directions on this page or stay on this page in your web browser.)

2.) Unplugged the modem (ethernet) connection from the router. (This is important to prevent the router from automatically updating the firmware.)

3.) Reset the Orbi to factory settings. (This reverts the firmware of the Orbi back into a more compatible state with the satellite.)

3.) While keeping your internet modem unplugged from the router, connect your pc via ethernet to the router, open your web browser, and allow the setup process to run. You may need to type orbilogin.com in your address bar if it doesn't automatically connect you to the setup process.

4.) During the setup process, you may need to skip or bypass any steps that asks you to connect to the internet. You can setup the router manually.

5.) Once you are have completed the setup process, you should be taken to the Orbi admin page where you can go under the Advanced tab --> Administration --> Firmware Update. Perform the steps as shown on this page to upload the firmware files you downloaded in Step #1: https://kb.netgear.com/000053549/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-1-2-18

6.) After you have updated the firmware of the router/satellite, they should now have the same firmware version. Go ahead and plug in your internet modem (via ethernet) into your Orbi router.

7.) You should now have a stable internet connection and wifi.

Please let me know if this works for you. So far this seems to have corrected the problem. In the future, when the firmware goes out of sync, these steps should be taken. Might want to keep these directions handy.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
uiucguy6
Tutor

So NO ONE else is having this issue? No one from this community or Netgear is seeing this or can help? Really? What a piece of junk...
Message 2 of 5
siuolly
Star

I also have the same model. Set mine to AP mode tried both dynamic or static IP. This thing does not last for a week and I need to factory reset every time. My first Netgear product and will be my last. Shopping for a better alernative than this crap.
Message 3 of 5
uiucguy6
Tutor

I’ve had to do a lot of factory resets as well. I even went back to a previous firmware version in hopes to correct the issue. Version 2.1.1.12 seems to be the last stable version. It usually works for a few days before automatically updating to the most recent firmware. Definitely crap!
Message 4 of 5
uiucguy6
Tutor

I MIGHT have figured out the solution. Somewhere along the way, the satellite (RBS50) firmware went out of sync with the firmware for the router (RBR50). I have a feeling this is contributing to my internet wifi dropping every 15-30 seconds. Any devices I have connected via ethernet to the router have worked fine, therefore I was suspicious of the communication between the router and the satellite. The satellite's firmware was still stuck on V2.0.0.74 while the router's firmware keeps updating to later versions. Therefore, I assumed if I somehow get the satellite to update, then perhaps I can get it back in sync with the router and prevent dropped the dropped wifi.

Here are my steps:

1.) Download the latest firmware (V2.1.2.18) for BOTH the router and satellite from the NETGEAR support webpage for your Orbi device by going here: https://kb.netgear.com/000053549/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-1-2-18 

(Important: You may want to either print off the directions on this page or stay on this page in your web browser.)

2.) Unplugged the modem (ethernet) connection from the router. (This is important to prevent the router from automatically updating the firmware.)

3.) Reset the Orbi to factory settings. (This reverts the firmware of the Orbi back into a more compatible state with the satellite.)

3.) While keeping your internet modem unplugged from the router, connect your pc via ethernet to the router, open your web browser, and allow the setup process to run. You may need to type orbilogin.com in your address bar if it doesn't automatically connect you to the setup process.

4.) During the setup process, you may need to skip or bypass any steps that asks you to connect to the internet. You can setup the router manually.

5.) Once you are have completed the setup process, you should be taken to the Orbi admin page where you can go under the Advanced tab --> Administration --> Firmware Update. Perform the steps as shown on this page to upload the firmware files you downloaded in Step #1: https://kb.netgear.com/000053549/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-1-2-18

6.) After you have updated the firmware of the router/satellite, they should now have the same firmware version. Go ahead and plug in your internet modem (via ethernet) into your Orbi router.

7.) You should now have a stable internet connection and wifi.

Please let me know if this works for you. So far this seems to have corrected the problem. In the future, when the firmware goes out of sync, these steps should be taken. Might want to keep these directions handy.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7