Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50/RBS50 Firmware 2.5.1.16 Update

SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

RBR50/RBS50 Firmware 2.5.1.16 Update

Latest firmware v2.5.1.16 on RBK53 in AP mode.  No new surprises yet.  Everything seems to be in order and working.  If you took the plunge, please share your experiences.

Firmware 2.5.1.16.png

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 87
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 2 of 87
theoak
Luminary

Add me to the sucker for punishment list 🙂

Orbi in Access Point mode

Attached Device List:

I am not seeing any real improvement.  Still seems slow to pull them up.  I can go to my devices and they work fine enough, but are still not listed in the Orbi browser.  I still have those ones that for whatever reason, the Orbi refuses to see them - my router does - and they act as expected.  If you are upgrading for this reason, you may be disappointed.

Satellite Acquisition:

There were some posts that this was faster.  This seems to be the case.  My wifi based backhaul would always go pink for about 10 seconds and finally flip to blue.  Goes right to blue now.  Now ... I am not say blazing fast by any mean; just, a little faster.

Message 3 of 87
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@theoak wrote:

now that's what we need is a sucker for punishment forum.  

Message 4 of 87
tomschmidt
Virtuoso

I have been running v2.5.1.16 on my RBR50/RBS50 setup for 3 weeks since March 31, 2020 (I received beta copy of it for a separate issue listed below).  It unfortunately did not fix my outstanding tickets against v2.5.1.8, which include:

1. Orbi Android App cannot change device icons
  2. Orbi Android App icon is incorrect for "smart locks", shows "network" device instead
  3. DHCP logging is inconsistent (logs them until rebooted, then does not log them until rebooted again, toggling between working and not working on each reboot)
  4. dnsmasq process for DNS server does not resolve local LAN hostnames

The DNS server issue (#4 above) has a workaround at https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/orbi-add-dns-server/idc-p/1632085#M1731 but it does not survive a reboot of the router.

Is anyone else seeing these issues or other issues?  If so, please report to them to this thread so we have a good idea what is fixed and what is still broken.  All 4 items above are at NG L2 and/or engineering support awaiting fixes.

Message 5 of 87
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you notice any devices appearing on the RBS and if they were displayed as unknown on the Orbi app or the RBSs web page? 

@theoak wrote:

Orbi in Access Point mode

Attached Device List:

I am not seeing any real improvement.  Still seems slow to pull them up.  I can go to my devices and they work fine enough, but are still not listed in the Orbi browser.  I still have those ones that for whatever reason, the Orbi refuses to see them - my router does - and they act as expected.  If you are upgrading for this reason, you may be disappointed.

Satellite Acquisition:

There were some posts that this was faster.  This seems to be the case.  My wifi based backhaul would always go pink for about 10 seconds and finally flip to blue.  Goes right to blue now.  Now ... I am not say blazing fast by any mean; just, a little faster.

Message 6 of 87
FURRYe38
Guru

Did you notice any devices appearing on the RBS and if they were displayed as unknown on the Orbi app or the RBSs web page? 

@tomschmidt wrote:

I have been running v2.5.1.16 on my RBR50/RBS50 setup for 3 weeks since March 31, 2020 (I received beta copy of it for a separate issue listed below).  It unfortunately did not fix my outstanding tickets against v2.5.1.8, which include:

1. Orbi Android App cannot change device icons
  2. Orbi Android App icon is incorrect for "smart locks", shows "network" device instead
  3. DHCP logging is inconsistent (logs them until rebooted, then does not log them until rebooted again, toggling between working and not working on each reboot)
  4. dnsmasq process for DNS server does not resolve local LAN hostnames

The DNS server issue (#4 above) has a workaround at https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-For-Home/orbi-add-dns-server/idc-p/1632085#M1731 but it does not survive a reboot of the router.

Is anyone else seeing these issues or other issues?  If so, please report to them to this thread so we have a good idea what is fixed and what is still broken.  All 4 items above are at NG L2 and/or engineering support awaiting fixes.

Message 7 of 87
theoak
Luminary

@FURRYe38 wrote:

No difference.  Directly to the Orbi Satellite or Router GUI or iPhone App - does not list them.  My router does and gives them IP address obviously and I see their traffic. 

Message 8 of 87
Dd852
Luminary

This update nicely fixed the problem i had, which is that the Orbi ios app would not list devices as they were attached to satellites or router (it just listed them in the main device manager without showing where they were connected) . After the update all works as expected (and as it once did). Speed seems fine to all devices. 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 9 of 87
FURRYe38
Guru

Upgraded my RBK50 system yesterday. 

Working well as expected. Router mode.

900Mbps_v2.5.1.16.png

Message 10 of 87
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Dd852 wrote:

This update nicely fixed the problem i had, which is that the Orbi ios app would not list devices as they were attached to satellites or router (it just listed them in the main device manager without showing where they were connected) . After the update all works as expected (and as it once did). Speed seems fine to all devices. 

Is it pushed by NG or did you have to go looking for it?

Message 11 of 87
FURRYe38
Guru

I always manually download FW and manually install thru the RBS and RBRs web page. I didn't do a reset this time. Wanted to see how it worked with out doing a reset and setup from scratch.

Message 12 of 87
Retired_Member
Not applicable

What does NG support recommend WRT firmware updates?

Message 13 of 87
FURRYe38
Guru

I don't understand your question...

Message 14 of 87
Retired_Member
Not applicable

what part don't you understand?

Message 15 of 87
FURRYe38
Guru

"What does NG support recommend WRT firmware updates?"

Message 16 of 87
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

"What does NG support recommend WRT firmware updates?"

You know what it means.

Message 17 of 87
FURRYe38
Guru

Are you referring to OpenWRT or DD-WRT? 

Maybe restate your question better? 

Open/DD-WRT isn't supported on Orbi if thats what your asking. 

Message 18 of 87
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Are you referring to OpenWRT or DD-WRT? 

Maybe restate your question better? 

Open/DD-WRT isn't supported on Orbi if thats what your asking. 

wow...I've never mentioned OpenWRT or DD-WRT, and again you know that

Message 19 of 87
FURRYe38
Guru

And your point is? 

Message 20 of 87
Retired_Member
Not applicable

and my point is you have no answer.....perhaps someone else.

Message 21 of 87
FURRYe38
Guru

I did say I had an answer. 

Contact NG support to what they recommend. 

Message 22 of 87
Retired_Member
Not applicable

been there done done that.....looking for a consensus here...

Message 23 of 87
FURRYe38
Guru

Only other 3rd party FW that works on Orbi 50 series is Voxels FW.

Message 24 of 87
CrimpOn
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

What does NG support recommend WRT firmware updates?

It took me a minute to figure out that WRT is shorthand for "With Regard To".

At first I connected it to Orbi being based on the OpenWRT software platform and thought there was a word left out, such as "recommend regarding"

Or, maybe that's not what WRT means?

Message 25 of 87
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 86 replies
  • 29 kudos
  • 17 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7