Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50/RBS50 Firmware 2.5.1.16 Update

FURRYe38
Guru

Could be either. Again, not clear on his question statement. 

Message 26 of 87
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@Retired_Member wrote:

What does NG support recommend WRT firmware updates?

Here is what NG recommend - What-is-firmware-and-why-is-it-important-to-update-it

---

Firmware is a software that is embedded into a hardware device. Firmware controls how your device behaves. NETGEAR recommends that you update the firmware on your NETGEAR products whenever new firmware becomes available. New firmware often fixes bugs, contains new features, and protects you from security vulnerabilities. Some products can regularly check for new firmware and download it, or you can check for new firmware and download it manually. You can download new firmware at downloadcenter.netgear.com.

---

Hope it's helpful for everyone!

Message 27 of 87
Retired_Member
Not applicable

...and if you hadn't blocked or ignored me...perhaps we could have an intelligent discussion.

But my question (now that you all have figured out what I was asking or have you) was not meant for any individual, but more for the community.  

Alot of these heated discussions appears to be based on one side advocating manual updates to fix all while I prefer to allow NG to push them.  Keep in mind I've been in this community for years and know the history of how FW updates used to be handled.

Message 28 of 87
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@SW_ wrote:

@Retired_Member wrote:

What does NG support recommend WRT firmware updates?

Here is what NG recommend - What-is-firmware-and-why-is-it-important-to-update-it

---

Firmware is a software that is embedded into a hardware device. Firmware controls how your device behaves. NETGEAR recommends that you update the firmware on your NETGEAR products whenever new firmware becomes available. New firmware often fixes bugs, contains new features, and protects you from security vulnerabilities. Some products can regularly check for new firmware and download it, or you can check for new firmware and download it manually. You can download new firmware at downloadcenter.netgear.com.

---

Hope it's helpful for everyone!

thanks....and I've read that.  However, it still doesn't explain how anyone can support manual updates with all the problems they initially cause?  Whereas, if you do nothing, by the time NG figures how they screw up this so-called latest and greatest FW, they correct it, and push it to all.  I can only speak about my system and how I've seen this roll out.  But thanks again.  I appreciate the link.

Message 29 of 87
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

I agree with you that don't touch Orbi if it's working is always a good practice, but that doesn't mean everyone must follow this practice.  Just want to point out the difference between "recommend" vs "push" firmware update.

• recommend => manual firmware update whenever new firmware is released
  • push            => auto (forced) firmware update whenever (stable) firmware is released

All of us here had mixed experiences on auto firmware update.  Now we have a choice.  Like you said, if we take NG recommendation and manually update firmware, we're to blame.  Otherwise, we can point finger at NG.

At the end of the day, all of us have a choice to make, which might not be in agreement with everyone.  Smiley Happy

Message 30 of 87
Petiel315
Tutor

I am up to date n all of my routers and satellites 

GARBAGE product and support

Message 31 of 87
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@SW_ wrote:

I agree with you that don't touch Orbi if it's working is always a good practice, but that doesn't mean everyone must follow this practice.  Just want to point out the difference between "recommend" vs "push" firmware update.

• recommend => manual firmware update whenever new firmware is released
  • push            => auto (forced) firmware update whenever (stable) firmware is released

All of us here had mixed experiences on auto firmware update.  Now we have a choice.  Like you said, if we take NG recommendation and manually update firmware, we're to blame.  Otherwise, we can point finger at NG.

At the end of the day, all of us have a choice to make, which might not be in agreement with everyone.  Smiley Happy

From my experience I don't do manual updates. Why would I?  Many say because of critical updates. Wrong.  Those are covered under the auto push.   I've been fooling with routers before some in here were born.  Not bragging. The government has been calling me a senior citizens for several years. I don't need to go looking for potential problems especially if my system is working. I'm currently on the same firmware since October 2019.  What aggregates me is when people do manual updates and then end up in here crying when it breaks their system.  And then I'm labeled a bad person when I question them why.  

Message 32 of 87
larryindublin
Luminary

So I attempted the upgrade as well. I've been one of the lucky ones who have had a very stable Orbi setup since day 1.

Have about 35 devices connected of all types.

Satelites both upgraded fine but getting an "500 Internal Server Error" when I try to upgrade the router. This is the typical order I have done things. Thoughts? Tips? Tricks? Have redownloaded the firmware file and confirmed I am trying to use the RBR firmware...

Message 33 of 87
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@larryindublin wrote:

So I attempted the upgrade as well. I've been one of the lucky ones who have had a very stable Orbi setup since day 1.

Satelites both upgraded fine but getting an "500 Internal Server Error" when I try to upgrade the router. This is the typical order I have done things. Thoughts? Tips? Tricks? Have redownloaded the firmware file and confirmed I am trying to use the RBR firmware...

I have ask and you can slap me later but why, why did you try to update?

Message 34 of 87
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset on the RBR disconnected from the ISP Modem. Skip the setup wizard. Use a wired PC and IE11 or Firefox and try to reload the FW file to the RBR. It should take. Once FW is loaded, reboot and re-connect the modem. I would power OFF the modem for 30 seconds then back ON when you reboot  the RBR. 

Be sure to clear out any and all browser caches before doing the FW update. 

@larryindublin wrote:

Message 35 of 87
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Then you have responses like the one in message 35 that with all their wisdom continue to make believe everything is fine and offer to be able to fix all firmware screw ups, without addressing the real root of the problem by telling people they may need to rethink their position on firmware updates. One has to shake their head.  The beat goes on.  

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Try a factory reset on the RBR disconnected from the ISP Modem. Skip the setup wizard. Use a wired PC and IE11 or Firefox and try to reload the FW file to the RBR. It should take. Once FW is loaded, reboot and re-connect the modem. I would power OFF the modem for 30 seconds then back ON when you reboot  the RBR. 

Be sure to clear out any and all browser caches before doing the FW update. 

@larryindublin wrote:

Message 36 of 87
larryindublin
Luminary

Clearing browser cache for the win. Thanks @FURRYe38.

Everything reconnected just fine so just given it the typical time for some of my devices to reconnect to strongest device.

Orbi is still by far the best router I've used. Sorry others have had issues.

Message 37 of 87
Petiel315
Tutor

Thank you

Will not let me manually update the rbr50. server times out

Also I have RBS40V satellites and I saw two firmwares

one for orbi voice and one for extendeer mode

do you know the difference

Thank you

I appreciate it

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 38 of 87
Petiel315
Tutor

do you have your satellites on different channels

I do not know the best practices for that

Message 39 of 87
Petiel315
Tutor

I have 2 rbs40v
What mode should they be configured for
Should they be on separate channels
I saw two firmwares
One for Orbi mode and one for extender
What is the difference
BTW
Garbage support and product
Message 40 of 87
CrimpOn
Guru

@Petiel315 wrote:

do you have your satellites on different channels

I do not know the best practices for that

When the Orbi selects channels for 2.4G and 5G WiFi, every Orbi device uses the same channels.  So, if the configuration is "Auto" and the Orbi has selected channel 4 for 2.4G, then all devices use channel 4.  If the user manually selected a channel, then every device uses that channel.

This is the design.

Message 41 of 87
Petiel315
Tutor

Should they be on different channels

Message 42 of 87
CrimpOn
Guru

@Petiel315 wrote:

Should they be on different channels

With the Orbi, they cannot be on different channels.  It is an interesting theoretical question, but I am not nearly competent to pose a response.

Message 43 of 87
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it worked. Be sure to make a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves times if you have to reset the system. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@larryindublin wrote:

Clearing browser cache for the win. Thanks @FURRYe38.

Everything reconnected just fine so just given it the typical time for some of my devices to reconnect to strongest device.

Orbi is still by far the best router I've used. Sorry others have had issues.

Message 44 of 87
fredricr1
Aspirant

Definitely new, so be gentle. 

My RBR50 is currently using firmware v2.3.5.30, my RBS50 is on 2.5.0.38, and my RBS50Y (outdoor) is on 2.3.5.32.  When I log into the orbi website for remote management and check for firmware updates, it shows none available.  Any idea why the latest firmware update doesn't show up? Does this mean my Orbis (all 3) are not compatible with 2.5.1.16?  Do I need to download and manually update instead?  Lastly...any cautionary tips for updating firmware?

Sorry for the basic questions and thanks for the help.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 45 of 87
Petiel315
Tutor

Yes download manually that is what I had to do

no idea why automatic does not work

worst decision in buying the orbi garbage

Message 46 of 87
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@Petiel315 wrote:

Yes download manually that is what I had to do

no idea why automatic does not work

worst decision in buying the orbi garbage

just to be clear ...no one 'has to' perform a manual upgrade, unless of course you're doing some sort of correction or reversion

automatic works fine....for the most part it works in the background and you should bever be worrying about it

Message 47 of 87
CrimpOn
Guru

@fredricr1 wrote:

Any idea why the latest firmware update doesn't show up? Does this mean my Orbis (all 3) are not compatible with 2.5.1.16?  Do I need to download and manually update instead?  Lastly...any cautionary tips for updating firmware?

You are right to be frustrated, because the situation with regard to Netgear Orbi firmware updates is a mess.  As a "set up and forget" residential product, Netgear would silently update the Orbi firmware without the user ever being involved.  Then, there were some instances where the invisible firmware update caused massive problems for some users.  Horrendous. Horrible.  Nasty.  The user forum filled up with post demanding that Netgear cease this nefarious practice and let users choose when (and if) to upgrade.  Last Fall Netgear released a significant firmware update,  and once again it played havoc with some users and had to be "withdrawn".   Netgear cannot seem to be consistent.  Netgear sends out emails prompting people to update, and pops notices on the Orbi "app", but the Orbi says there is no update available.  There is one credible report of an Orbi updating satellites when the user decided to update the router only.  It's a mess.

The concensus seems to be, "if it ain't broke, for God's sake don't FIX it."  (Fix as in spay, neuter.)  In other words, unless your Orbi is not performing as you want, be in no hurry to install an update.  And, if you DO decide to update the firmware, realize that YOU CHOSE to do it.

p.s. Your RBS50Y is certainly on the latest available firmware.  It is a hybrid product that has little in common with the other "50" products.

Message 48 of 87
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend avoiding the auto update FW section of the router. Many posters have had problems with this feature and is not stable to use. Seems to break systems or causes problems more than anything else. 

First manually download the RBS and RBR FW files from here.

http://kb.netgear.com/en_US/000061838/

Unpack the FW from the .zip files. 

Use a wired PC for this process. Safari(Mac), IE11, Firefox or Opera browsers are recommended.

Then send the RBR FW file lastly.

Factory reset the RBS and RBR and setup from scratch. After makeing sure the system works after setting up, be sure to make a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. This saves time if a reset is needed again. 

I recommend keeping this method, as it's a proven method I and others have been using for years to update router FW. 

@fredricr1 wrote:

Definitely new, so be gentle. 

My RBR50 is currently using firmware v2.3.5.30, my RBS50 is on 2.5.0.38, and my RBS50Y (outdoor) is on 2.3.5.32.  When I log into the orbi website for remote management and check for firmware updates, it shows none available.  Any idea why the latest firmware update doesn't show up? Does this mean my Orbis (all 3) are not compatible with 2.5.1.16?  Do I need to download and manually update instead?  Lastly...any cautionary tips for updating firmware?

Sorry for the basic questions and thanks for the help.

Message 49 of 87
Retired_Member
Not applicable

since NG only pushes critical updates via auto that is the best policy

manual updates is NOT recommended

Message 50 of 87
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 86 replies
  • 29 kudos
  • 17 in conversation