Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50/RBS50 Firmware update

BrainFart
Tutor

RBR50/RBS50 Firmware update

Hi all,

Newbie to all of this stuff and am looking for some help / advice wrt updating my Orbi system.

It was a Costco buy 1 router (RBR50) & 2 satellites (RBS50).

When I first bought them and set them up the system notified me that there was firmware update.  I clicked the update all button on the screen and thought I followed the instructions.  What I ended up with was a router that work and 1 of 2 satellites that didn't.

After an hour on the phone with customer service I returned the units to Costco and came home with a new unit.  I called customer service over agan and walked thru the system update with them step by step with success.  Here's the embarrassing part... I've forgotten how to do it and I'm freaked out now about the bricking my system now.

Here is what I think I did and I'm hoping you can tell me if it is correct.

1. Connected to the router thru ethernet with my laptop.  Is direct connection a must?

2. Downloaded the router and satellite firmware images.

3. Switched to the manual update tab.

4. Updated the satellites first.  Don't remember if I updated 1 or both at the same time.  Any advice on this?

5. Updated the router second.

6. Powered off all three units.

7. Turned on the router first.  Let it completely boot up.

8. Turned on both satellites.  Let them boot and connect to router.  I think I had to re-sync them.

9. Check the system to make sure all of my settings were there.  I don't remember if I had to re-apply my setting after the firmware update (i.e. load my backup file I made before I did the update).

Is it better to do a manual update or an online update in your opinion?

Right now my system is running 2.1.4.10.  It is saying that the update version is 2.1.4.16

As of today (2018-06-22) when I went to manually down load the updates from Netgear it download RBR50-V2.1.4.10.zip and RBS50V2.1.4.16.zip.  Has anyone else seen this?

Sorry about the long winded post.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 17

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes I prefer manually upgrading myself. ALways have. Yes there was a sequence and yes, satellites should be updated first then the router when you do manually update FW. 

Yes, when I manually got everything updated to v.10, I chose to update using the routers UI for both router and satellite when .v16 was available. and let the router push the update for both instead of manually downloading and sending the file. 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 17

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

I set up same system for my friend last weekend:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

I had to manual update satellite first to a intermediate version as the satellite wouldn't accept v.16 for some reason. I did manual updates first up to v.10, then once both satellite and router were both on v.10, I used the UI to force the detected v.16 update to both at the same time.

Message 2 of 17
BrainFart
Tutor

FURRYe38,

Thanks for the reply!

I read thru the link you provided.  My main take aways were:

- You have to sequentially update the firmware (orbi's don't like you skipping over an update).

- You manually updated sats then router. 

I don't like updating for sake of updating especially when things are working fine, but I also don't like the idea of having to run thru updates to get to an update that I may need.

Right now my units are at V2.1.4.10 and the UI is showing me the V2.1.4.16 update.

BrainFart Orbi.png 

You said "I used the UI to force the detected v.16 update to both at the same time."  Does this mean you used the button in the UI to update all of the units? or did you again manually do the sats then router?

When I got my first set of units the update all button was what I pushed and I bricked one of the sats some how.  This was a while ago, but I think a couple of browser windows poped up and I may have updated the router before the one of the sats and then assumed everything was done and closed some windows prematurely.  A little worried I may make the same mistake.  Manually seems to be the safest route.  Would you agree? or am I worring for nothing?

Thank again for the help!

Message 3 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes I prefer manually upgrading myself. ALways have. Yes there was a sequence and yes, satellites should be updated first then the router when you do manually update FW. 

Yes, when I manually got everything updated to v.10, I chose to update using the routers UI for both router and satellite when .v16 was available. and let the router push the update for both instead of manually downloading and sending the file. 

Message 4 of 17
BrainFart
Tutor

FURRYe38,

Finally got some time to due the update.

The updates went smooth.

Thank you very much for the help!

Message 5 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working well. Enjoy. 

Message 6 of 17
JPTOONS
Aspirant

1st i am a novice. had ATT internet issue tonight and mistakenly thought it was an Orbi issue. here is my problem i update the firmware from my phone and it goes throught its thing and says updated, but later it says update aavailable. in reading here it seems the way to do this is manually. so i attemped to follow the instructions on my desktop (ethernet connection), but when i go to ...orbilogin it says i am not connected to the orbi network. i retired on my laptop (wireless) and it says i shouldnt attempt to manually update over wireless because of possible coruption issues. I am stuck any advice or assistance would be appreciated.

when the orbi says update completed it shows a version v2.1.4.16NA. also do i need to update the satallite diferently?

Thanks 

Message 7 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

What browser are you using? It's best to update the router and satellite by manually downloading the FW file to you PC, then using a LAN cable connected PC, update the satellite first then the router.

Can you access the satellite, with a wired PC? If you can, make sure its up to date as well.

After you get everything updated, do a factory reset on the router and satellite and set up from scratch. Walk thru the setup wizard at orbilogin.com or 192.168.1.1 in a web browser.

What is the mfr and model# of the ISP modem the router is connected too?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1586988/highli...

@JPTOONS wrote:

1st i am a novice. had ATT internet issue tonight and mistakenly thought it was an Orbi issue. here is my problem i update the firmware from my phone and it goes throught its thing and says updated, but later it says update aavailable. in reading here it seems the way to do this is manually. so i attemped to follow the instructions on my desktop (ethernet connection), but when i go to ...orbilogin it says i am not connected to the orbi network. i retired on my laptop (wireless) and it says i shouldnt attempt to manually update over wireless because of possible coruption issues. I am stuck any advice or assistance would be appreciated.

when the orbi says update completed it shows a version v2.1.4.16NA. also do i need to update the satallite diferently?

Thanks 

Message 8 of 17
davida425
Guide

Right now my router and satelite are running 2.1.4.10 and they are working great as is.  It is saying that the update version is 2.1.4.16. Since my RBR50/RBS5 are working great with 2.1.4.10, I am hesitant to upgrade to 2.1.4.16 with all the problems I have previously read about in another thread. Any thoughts or advice? TIA!

Message 9 of 17
Tutor

Dear all
anyone can help me to remove branded firmware and install original netgear firmware!!

Thanks
Message 10 of 17

@2022 wrote:

anyone can help me to remove branded firmware and install original netgear firmware!!

Who sold you this Orbi device?

Message 11 of 17
Tutor

i purchase it from isp provider
Message 12 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

Sorry, if the TFTP method fails, theres nothing else that can be done. You'll need to contact your ISP or return there Orbi system and buy a retail Orbi system then you can take advantage of the FW updates directly from NG. 

@2022 wrote:

Message 13 of 17

@2022 wrote:

I know. I was asking which provider.

Message 14 of 17
Tutor

ooredoo
Message 15 of 17
Tutor

OOREDOO - QATAR

www.ooredoo.qa

Message 16 of 17
FURRYe38
Guru

I would be best to return the ISPs orbi system and buy a retail version of Orbi. 

Good Luck. 

@2022 wrote:

OOREDOO - QATAR

www.ooredoo.qa

Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7