Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 / RBS50 - Wifi connected devices losing connection

steve_VT
Initiate

RBR50 / RBS50 - Wifi connected devices losing connection

Hi all -

First, here's my setup... I have an RBR50 and RBS50 Orbi system.  I have a primary and guest network setup.  I own a company that makes an IoT device that I have connected to my wifi setup.  My personal devices are on my main network, and I have all of my IoT devices on my Guest Network.  I can have as many as 35 or so devices on the entire network at a given time.  My IoT devices connect and transmit data every 60 seconds, with sleep in between.  

THe problem I'm seeing is that sometimes once a day, sometimes every few days, my wifi devices lose internet connectivity.  My wired devices are not disconnecting which makes me think the problem is with the Orbi WiFi.  This only started happening when I brought an additional 6-10 of our IoT devices onto the network.  

We seem to be under the limit of 50-70 nodes as it reads in the Orbi manual.  I don't understand exactly what's happening, if it's an IP lease conflict issue using DHCP, or if it's more fundamental to the internet connection itself.  

I don't see a way of accessing any logs that can tell me anything about either of these possible issues.  Connection loss or device conflict.  

Any ideas would be very appreciated.  I'd like ot resolve it, but my main concern is determining if it's the issue is Orbi or if it has something to do with how my IoT devices are working.   One note on the latter...we're using the AI Thinker ESP-07S WiFi module on our IoT device.  I have noticed that everytime the device connects, it will appear in my available WiFi networks list.  I haven't explored this with our engineers yet, but it seems the modules may have an access point mode.  Not sure if this is part of the problem or not, but thought I'd mention it for any experts out there.  

Thanks!

Steve

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR50 / RBS50 - Wifi connected devices losing connection

Just to confirm.  All WiFi devices on both networks (primary and guest) lose internet at the same time, not just the IoT devices?

There seem to be a number of threads on the forum about losing internet on WiFi.  I cannot recall if they all have something in common.

At least one member has reported 100+ devices on Orbi, so the device number may not be the issue.

Message 2 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Set up some IP address reservations for your devices ON the router...

@steve_VT wrote:

Hi all -

First, here's my setup... I have an RBR50 and RBS50 Orbi system.  I have a primary and guest network setup.  I own a company that makes an IoT device that I have connected to my wifi setup.  My personal devices are on my main network, and I have all of my IoT devices on my Guest Network.  I can have as many as 35 or so devices on the entire network at a given time.  My IoT devices connect and transmit data every 60 seconds, with sleep in between.  

THe problem I'm seeing is that sometimes once a day, sometimes every few days, my wifi devices lose internet connectivity.  My wired devices are not disconnecting which makes me think the problem is with the Orbi WiFi.  This only started happening when I brought an additional 6-10 of our IoT devices onto the network.  

We seem to be under the limit of 50-70 nodes as it reads in the Orbi manual.  I don't understand exactly what's happening, if it's an IP lease conflict issue using DHCP, or if it's more fundamental to the internet connection itself.  

I don't see a way of accessing any logs that can tell me anything about either of these possible issues.  Connection loss or device conflict.  

Any ideas would be very appreciated.  I'd like ot resolve it, but my main concern is determining if it's the issue is Orbi or if it has something to do with how my IoT devices are working.   One note on the latter...we're using the AI Thinker ESP-07S WiFi module on our IoT device.  I have noticed that everytime the device connects, it will appear in my available WiFi networks list.  I haven't explored this with our engineers yet, but it seems the modules may have an access point mode.  Not sure if this is part of the problem or not, but thought I'd mention it for any experts out there.  

Thanks!

Steve

Message 3 of 5
steve_VT
Initiate

Thanks for the reply.   Yes, it appears that all devices lose internet.  It's a bit difficult to determine this for sure.  My IoT devices have a "missed checkin" rule that fires after a few minutes from an "expected checkin".  My other devices don't really have a way of indicating whether or not they're offline unless we're using them.  That's why i was wondering about any event logs that could be pulled from the Orbi vs monitoring devices for dropouts.  

10-4 on the # of devices.  It didn't seem like that would be the issue, but I wasn't sure if there was something I was missing.   

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Please give feedback to the question presented and any of the suggestions that may have helped. 

@steve_VT wrote:

Thanks for the reply.   Yes, it appears that all devices lose internet.  It's a bit difficult to determine this for sure.  My IoT devices have a "missed checkin" rule that fires after a few minutes from an "expected checkin".  My other devices don't really have a way of indicating whether or not they're offline unless we're using them.  That's why i was wondering about any event logs that could be pulled from the Orbi vs monitoring devices for dropouts.  

10-4 on the # of devices.  It didn't seem like that would be the issue, but I wasn't sure if there was something I was missing.   

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7