Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50/RBS50 - Wifi way slower on satellite - how to check Backhaul-Speed/-Traffic?

elastico
Aspirant

RBR50/RBS50 - Wifi way slower on satellite - how to check Backhaul-Speed/-Traffic?

Hi there 🙂

i wonder if there is way to see details on the (wireless) Backhaul speed / traffic between the RBR50 and a RBS50 Satellite?

Why?

I see a way slower wifi-speed when my MacBook Air (M1) is connected to the Satellite. If i move to another room which is closer to the Router, the Wifi speed is getting a lot faster.

What I mean with slow/fast?

Copying files from the Mac to a Synology NAS via Wifi (Wifi Connection is showing a 866mbit/s connection or at least 780mbit/s)

- via the Satellite: around 15-20 MByte/s

- via the Router: around 60-80 MByte/s

My LAN is a 1000 MBit one, so speed via cable is around 100 MByte/s, the Wifi-speed is limited to 866mbit/s with this system - So the Wifi-Speed when connected to the RBR50 is OK if not really good or "blazing fast" 🙂

But connected to the Satellite it's not and 15-20 MByte/s i think is way too slow for what should be possible with a Tri-Band System, right? 

So, if it's fast at the Router but slow at the satellite, it MAY be a problem with the third band, the Backhaul, right?

The LED-Ring is Blue - the iPhone-Apps is showing a "green" dot … there seems to be no Backhaul-Speed-Indicator or -Signal-Strength on the web-interface …

Well… how to check for more details to see if the Backhaul could be the problem or if there is something wrong with the Satellite? 

Firmware?

Router and Satellite are on V2.7.3.22

2,4 is active (Channel 13)

20/40 MHz is active

WMM is active

CTS… is set to 2347

5 GHz is active (Channel 36)

WMM active

CTS… 2347

Beamforming active 

MU-MIMO active

Fast-Roaming inactive

… I was about to upgrade to a RBR85x Bundle to get more speed overall (because no 866 Limit and the MacBook Ari M1 should be able to get more via Wifi6) – But now i'm curious of why it's so much slower with the satellite i have …

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 3
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR50/RBS50 - Wifi way slower on satellite - how to check Backhaul-Speed/-Traffic?

There is a telnet command that will display the transmit and receive rates between router and each satellite (I have two, so I get two reports).

It is satelliteinfo wifi  (all lower case letters)

You are probably aware that firmware V2.7.3.22 has removed the Enable telnet option from the Orbi debug page.

There is a Python script that will enable telnet at https://github.com/bkerler/netgear_telnet 

It works and I have used it on my Orbi RBR50 router and RBS50 satellite.

Caveat: There is a learning curve to install and use Python. Only you can decide if what you might learn is worth the effort.

Message 2 of 3
elastico
Aspirant

Re: RBR50/RBS50 - Wifi way slower on satellite - how to check Backhaul-Speed/-Traffic?

Hm. I Have pyhton installed on my mac. i've tried that script you mentioned but wasn't able to connect to the RBR50 after that via "nc <ip> 23" or with the App "Zoc8" (set to Telnet). ssh doesn't work either (all say "connection refused")

So i opened this in a browser:

http://192.168.123.45/online_upgrade_info.html

Now i got this informations:

"module name": "RBS50"

"signal strength": "-67" (<-- is this the backhoul strenght?)

"backhaul status": "2" (<-- is this good or bad?)

again: I see Wifi-Speeds (MacBook Air M1 -> RBR50) with very good speeds (50+ MByte/s easy)

but connected to the Satelite (MacBook Air M1 -> RBS50 -> RBR50) it's down to 8-15 MByte/s

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7