Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50, RBS50 and RBS20 - Network being segmented?

superczar
Apprentice

RBR50, RBS50 and RBS20 - Network being segmented?

I had a RBK50 (RBR50 and RBS50 ) that had been running fine for 2 years with a couple of firmware upgrades and minor woes in between. 

Yesterday I added a RBS 20 as a second satellite which is when I started getting weird issues.

Some of my LAN devices cannot see other LAN devices now ... e.g. PC A which is wired can ping RBK50 and RBS20 but not RBS20. However say device B can ping all 3.

The Orbi is running in AP mode with static IPs assigned to each Orbi.

The primary router (UBNT ER-X) can ping all 3 , each of the Orbis can ping each other just fine.

However several of the other devices can see only the RBK50 and 1 satellite.

The problem exists between devices also e.g. my phone that was connected to the RBS20 could not reach a wired LAN server although it could access the Internet just fine.

All 3 Orbis running the latest firmware.

Rough topology

WAN -> Router -> Switch (SG108E) -> RBR50 

The switch has other wired devices on it while the RBS20 and RBR50 have a non-daisy-chain link to the RBR50

One troubleshooting step that I did carry out was to scan the ARP table on the device that cannot ping RBR50 and noticed that no ARP entry for the RBR50 existed on it.

Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR50, RBS50 and RBS20 - Network being segmented?

A good explanation, but the typos left me confused.  (too many RBS20's, not enough RBS50's).

Could you please make a simple drawing showing exactly how the RBS50 and RBS20 connect to the RBR50?

Are they wired directly to RBR50 LAN ports, or do either of them connect through the switch?

Message 2 of 8
superczar
Apprentice

Hopefully this makes more sense (See attached drawing).

Testing just now after a full reset - For example, PC 1 can ping RBS20 but not RBS50

However if I telnet into any of RBS20, RBS50 or RBR50 , they can all ping each other just fine

Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Oh, my.  You can telnet into the RBS50, but cannot ping the RBS50?

Can you open the RBS50 web page?

Message 4 of 8
superczar
Apprentice

Just got done with my troubleshooting and Actually it appears to be a lot more complicated than that

I think this is most definitely a seriously bad bug I have identified.

The subject line is misleading so I will have to open a separate thread for this I guess

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Is that a NG GS-108e? Please reconfirm the model of this switch. 

Are the RBS wired or wireless connected to the RBR? 

Message 6 of 8
superczar
Apprentice

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Responded there. 

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7