Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50/RBS50: connecting via satellite results in no internet

jneun
Aspirant

RBR50/RBS50: connecting via satellite results in no internet

Hello all,

Troubleshooting a problem with an RBR50/RBS50 set, latest firmware (v2.5.1.8).

When a device connects wirelessly to the satellite first that device gets no internet.  If the same device connects first to the main router and walks to and connects to the satellite all works well. Backhaul status is listed as "good."

This is compounded when the device is a Samsung S20 which disconnects as it comes into the satellite's range and and then never connects again.

Ideas?

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
jneun
Aspirant

Re: RBR50/RBS50: connecting via satellite results in no internet

After a bit of experimentation I have a working setup with:

Daisy-Chain Topology - Enabled

Beam Forming - Enabled

MU-MIMU - Enabled

Fast Roaming - Enable

Whether or not all these are required is a project for another day/time.  Pretty sure Disabling Daisy-Chain made the satellite go away.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@jneun wrote:

When a device connects wirelessly to the satellite first that device gets no internet.  If the same device connects first to the main router and walks to and connects to the satellite all works well. Backhaul status is listed as "good."

This is compounded when the device is a Samsung S20 which disconnects as it comes into the satellite's range and and then never connects again.

"compounded" means that there are mutiple devices?  At least one connects to the router, gets internet access, and then leaves the router and connects to the satellite and keeps internet access.  An S20 connects to the router, gets internet, but when it gets close to the satellite it disconnects completely?

And, no device (zero, none at all) connects to the satellite and gets internet?

Message 2 of 8
jneun
Aspirant

"compounded" as in the S20 is worse.  I'm hoping that's a dumb setting on a new device.

The rest of your summary is correct as written.

Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Just guessing, the Orbi is in "router" mode (not Access Point (AP) mode)?

Is this a new installation (less than 90 days), or was it working previously?

How is the Orbi managed:

• Using the Orbi web interface?
  • Using the Orbi "app"?

Message 4 of 8
jneun
Aspirant

Yes to "router" mode.

Yes to new setup.

Maybe to working previously. Only noticed it recently.

Both to web or mobile interface.  I jump back and forth.

Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

We on the forum envy people who have Orbi's that are less than 90 days old, because Netgear provides 90 days of "Complimentary Support". When the product is registered on the Netgear web site, there is a link to "Support". I hear they do chat and even answer the phone.  My Orbi was over a year old before I had any reason to ask for help, and thus turned to the community forum (because I am too cheap to pay GearHead for support).

Are there any devices that can be connected to the satellite with an ethernet cable?

If devices did not switch to the satellite and continue to function, I would recommend "forgetting" the satellite and "adding" it again.

Just to be extra cautious, when a device leaves the router and connects to the satellite, the Orbi web interface "Attached Devices" page shows that it is now connected to the satellite?  (My Orbi takes several minutes to update the Attached Devices page.)

Message 6 of 8
jneun
Aspirant

Well...

I set it up <90 days ago but purchased it ~18 months ago.  "Time, time who's got the time." And I am too cheap unless this became a bigger problem.

I will find the cable for my laptop and work some more on this tomorrow.  I will also play with some of the Advanced settings to see if any of them have an effect.

On the switch to satellite, I've been watching the signal strength on the device drop and then regain full strength as it switches to satellite.

Thank you for your time. I will experiment more once the house goes quiet and I can distrupt things.

Message 7 of 8
jneun
Aspirant

After a bit of experimentation I have a working setup with:

Daisy-Chain Topology - Enabled

Beam Forming - Enabled

MU-MIMU - Enabled

Fast Roaming - Enable

Whether or not all these are required is a project for another day/time.  Pretty sure Disabling Daisy-Chain made the satellite go away.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7