Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50/RBS50 current firmware confusion

RTracey
Tutor

RBR50/RBS50 current firmware confusion

I'm having some issues with my wifi coverage and thought I would begin by confirming the firmware is up to date.  The RBR50 and RBS50 are at V2.3.5.30 and V2.5.1.8 respectively and both show "No new firmware version available". Yet on the Netgear website, it shows V2.5.1.16 as the latest firmware version for both router and satellite - which is newer for the router, and older for the satellite.  So what do I do?  Leave things alone?  Update the router and do nothing with the satellite?  Roll back the satellite and update the router?  Thanks.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: RBR50/RBS50 current firmware confusion

2.5.1.16 is newer than both 2.3 (anything) and 2.5.1.8 (16 bigger than 8).  The concensus appears to be that having router and satellite on the same version is a good practice.  So, the satellite should be updated to 2.5.1.8.  However, there are always risks when updating firmware.  Even if 99.5% of the time everything goes great, that 0.5% can cause problems ranging from puzzling behavior to horrible problems.

If the system is doing everything you want, there is no urgency to touch it.  Getting the router and satellite on the same version is probably a good idea.

Not much help. Sorry.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 7

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

2.5.1.16 is newer than both 2.3 (anything) and 2.5.1.8 (16 bigger than 8).  The concensus appears to be that having router and satellite on the same version is a good practice.  So, the satellite should be updated to 2.5.1.8.  However, there are always risks when updating firmware.  Even if 99.5% of the time everything goes great, that 0.5% can cause problems ranging from puzzling behavior to horrible problems.

If the system is doing everything you want, there is no urgency to touch it.  Getting the router and satellite on the same version is probably a good idea.

Not much help. Sorry.

Message 2 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

If you have a need to update to v16, you can manually download the FW files:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1897955/highlight/tru...

Update the RBS first then the RBR lastly. RBR and RBS should always be on the same version of FW. 

@RTracey wrote:

I'm having some issues with my wifi coverage and thought I would begin by confirming the firmware is up to date.  The RBR50 and RBS50 are at V2.3.5.30 and V2.5.1.8 respectively and both show "No new firmware version available". Yet on the Netgear website, it shows V2.5.1.16 as the latest firmware version for both router and satellite - which is newer for the router, and older for the satellite.  So what do I do?  Leave things alone?  Update the router and do nothing with the satellite?  Roll back the satellite and update the router?  Thanks.

Message 3 of 7
RTracey
Tutor

Thanks both.  I updated the software on the satellite without issue.  The router however has been sitting on "The router is updating its firmware" for the past 30 min and showing no change in the progress bar, yet it says it should only take 3 min.  And I'm still connected to the internet via wifi, so what gives?  Should I log off from the router in my browser and log in again?  The instructions say don't reset the router directly.  Thanks.

Message 4 of 7
CrimpOn
Guru

@RTracey wrote:

Should I log off from the router in my browser and log in again?

That's what I would try.

Message 5 of 7
RTracey
Tutor

Thanks.  Just after my last post, the router ring went magenta and I lost all wifi.  Had to hard wire into the router with a laptop, which said the software had updated.  Did a reboot on the modem and router and everything seems to be OK now.

Now to see if any of this fixed my wifi coverage issue.....

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. If you encounter any problems after the update, a factory reset and setup from scratch maybe needed. 

@RTracey wrote:

Thanks.  Just after my last post, the router ring went magenta and I lost all wifi.  Had to hard wire into the router with a laptop, which said the software had updated.  Did a reboot on the modem and router and everything seems to be OK now.

Now to see if any of this fixed my wifi coverage issue.....

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7