Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 / RBS50, firmware 2.2.1.210 - AP installation w/ fios - 1 laptop intermittent disconnect

liamomalley
Aspirant

RBR50 / RBS50, firmware 2.2.1.210 - AP installation w/ fios - 1 laptop intermittent disconnect

I have 12 devices on my network and all are humming along nicely except for one laptop, which intermittently disconnects. It is always in range of the network and can always detect it, but it will go from "internet" to "no internet" every few hours or so even while staying connected. 

I have a Fios router/modem, have turned off the wifi on it, and am using my Orbi router as an AP with one satellite. I have a Sonos system using wifi 2.4ghz band and other devices - phones and laptops - connecting consistently to the 5ghz band. 

Everything works great except this laptop losing connection from time to time. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 / RBS50, firmware 2.2.1.210 - AP installation w/ fios - 1 laptop intermittent disconnect

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
What is the Mfr and model# of this laptop? 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-2-2-1-210-and-connection-problems-Skybell/m-p/1649275...

Message 2 of 4
liamomalley
Aspirant

Re: RBR50 / RBS50, firmware 2.2.1.210 - AP installation w/ fios - 1 laptop intermittent disconnect

What FW is currently loaded? - 2.2.1.210
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too? - Verizon FIOS Quantum Gateway
What is the Mfr and model# of this laptop?  - Dell Latitude 7490

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? - 2000 sq ft. 
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials. - Hm, probably double that, and my router is in the utility room with HVAC. Fios comes in there. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz. - Was set on auto, but I will set manual. If laptop is always connecting to 5ghz, why would that matter? 

Message 3 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

So theres 60 feet in between the base and satellite? 

We didn't know what freqency the LT connects to so reason for giving both suggestions. 

Try setting a different channel on 5Ghz. 

Make sure the drivers are up to date for the Network adapters in the LT. 

What is the Mfr and model of the wifi adapter in the LT? 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7