Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 / RBS50 firmware update to V.2.5.1.16

Loccs26
Aspirant

RBR50 / RBS50 firmware update to V.2.5.1.16

I recently updated the firmware as suggested by the GUI and phone app to 2.5.1.16. I was previously on the rock solid, 2.3.5.30. I treid 2.5.1.8 in the past and all of my attached devices failed to show up so I "downgraded" back. I read some posts about the new firmware 2.5.1.16 for the router and satellites. Everything I read seems to show it was an improvement and esp for the satellites. 

Today I did the upgrade and I have the same issue. Nothing shows up properly under the attached devices. When I go to look at firmware updates, all of the devices are beign shown as current so that means they are connected. I can even see an IP address for each satellite in the phone app. Please see the attachements as to why this makes no sence. 

Do I really have to do a factory reset after updating the firmware to have the attached devices and backhaul status to be correct? 

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 14
Loccs26
Aspirant

2nd pic which shows disconnect but is in direct conflict of the 1st attached pic. If they weren't connected, it wouldn't be able to check the firmware version. 

Message 2 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a factory reset and setup from scratch. 

Be sure to take out any spaces in any device naming and don't use any special characters. 

Message 3 of 14
Loccs26
Aspirant

I know you are trying to help but WHY would I HAVE to do that for a firmware update? Seems like more of a pain than its worth. 

Message 4 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Sometimes there maybe lingering older FW code or configurations on the RBR that needs to be cleared out after a FW update. 

Message 5 of 14
Loccs26
Aspirant

UGH, ok thanks. 

Message 6 of 14
Loccs26
Aspirant

If I save my config, factory reset and they upload the old config would that work? Or would I have to manually configure everything again?

Message 7 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

I recommend loading from scratch. Sometimes backup configs from older FW version can introduce same or new problems.

You can try it first and see. If the problem continues, then factory reset and setup from scratch with out the backup config file. 

Let us know how it goes...

Message 8 of 14
MareLuce
Aspirant

Any update to this?

I tried the over the air updates to this latest from the same version.
It rebooted but never updated.

Repeated over the air firmware upgrade attempt with same result.

I guess this means I should not try it again.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 9 of 14
Loccs26
Aspirant

I have done the same in the past with no luck. I just use Voxel's firmware and I haven't had an issue since. Google it. 

Message 10 of 14
Mstrbig
Master

@Loccs26 wrote:

I have done the same in the past with no luck. I just use Voxel's firmware and I haven't had an issue since. Google it. 

I's funny you mention 3rd party firmware, such as Voxel.

Every time we install a Netgear router, we trash their firmware and install DD-WRT. The router is faster, less issues and always has the features one would want. 

With that said, my RBK53 system is on 2.5.1.16, and am experiencing no issues whatsoever. Currenty it is not ahowing an update.

Message 11 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru

Try a wired installation of v16 FW on the RBS then RBR using a wired PC and web browser. Factory reset the system and setup from scratch. 

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-2-5-1-16-Update/m-p/1897955/highlight/tru...

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

@MareLuce wrote:
Any update to this?

I tried the over the air updates to this latest from the same version.
It rebooted but never updated.

Repeated over the air firmware upgrade attempt with same result.

I guess this means I should not try it again.

Message 12 of 14
MareLuce
Aspirant

Furry,

My cable modem is a Netgear CM 500
Connected to a
Orbi Ac3000 Rbk53-100NAS
Message 13 of 14
FURRYe38
Guru