Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 - RBS50 need outdoor access point

NeedOrbiHelp
Aspirant

RBR50 - RBS50 need outdoor access point

I have an RBR50 connected to 3 RBS50s and an RBS50Y on the way to sit outside and extend the network into the yard.  I need some sort of a wireless access point at the end of a driveway for a camera - wireless to ethernet.  I know I can use the Orbis "as an access point" but is there a netgear product (or other, ?ubiquity?, TP Link?) that plays well with Orbi and can give me a nice connection to ethernet for the single cam? Any recommendations appreciated!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 16
pkgadd
Apprentice

Are you sure about the terminology here?

An access point is usually understood as providing wireless access to other wireless clients with a wired backhaul (ethernet uplink).

The RBS50/ RBS50Y would more accurately be described as mesh satellite, with the RBS50 also allowing (optionally) a wired backhaul instead of a purely wireless one (given the central configuration over the mesh, I wouldn't quite call this mode of operation AP mode - but it comes close) - the RBS50Y however only offer a wireless backhaul.

As I understand your problem, you're not really looking for an outdoor AP, but more for an outdoor client-bridge (something the RBS50 with its 4 ethernet ports can do, as in distributing the wireless backhaul to the connected ethernet devices) - while the outdoor capable RBS50Y does not provide the necessary ethernet ports (and watertight ethernet sockets are difficult/ expensive; available as mil-spec).

Personally I'm not aware of an orbi compatible outdoor mesh satellite with >=1 ethernet ports, nor any outdoor repeaters (which usually come with their own can of worms, as they don't integrate into the orbi backhaul and usually aren't as network transparent as one would like). If you need ethernet, the easiest option would probably be to mount a normal RBS50 in a rugged cabinet (water tight enough, within supported humidity and temperature ranges - I guess in practice the RBS50 would take more abuse than strictly allowed) - or to use wireless cameras.

Message 2 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite

Having 3 RBS online, you should have more than enough coverage inside and out side if placed well. 

Message 3 of 16
pkgadd
Apprentice

@FURRYe38, as far as I understand the problem, it's less a question of absolute range (although that might very well be another aspect) - but rather of finding a way to wirelessly connect ethernet-only devices to the network. With indoor devices such as the RBS50, this is easily possible (wireless backhaul, using the RBS50's ethernet ports to connect the wired devcies - all you need is power), but I'm not aware of an outdoor equivalent (the RBS50Y is weather proof, but offers no ethernet port for further wired devices to use).

Message 4 of 16
NeedOrbiHelp
Aspirant

your terminology is better : client / bridge probably better.  Has to be wired ethernet. Thats the driving need.

Less worried about range - I get excellent coverage with the Orbi's as set throughout the house but to the end of the driveway I dont want to run ethernet, and as mentioned the RBS50Y didnt give off the ethernet that I need.

If the bridge has good 2.4 or 5g wifi coverage at the end of the driveway - is there a non MESH option thats "easy" and reliable?  Obviously I dont see anything within the orbi ecosystem, and thats ok.

the "rugged" housing idea is probably suboptimal though I agree - they probably run above and below their temp/humidity ranges, but thats a pricy test if theres a better client bridge that I can put out there.

Message 5 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

Message 6 of 16
NeedOrbiHelp
Aspirant

ick. Thats not a glowing review on RBS50Y.

Message 7 of 16
FURRYe38
Guru

The link is also referencing what one did to put a RBS50 out side using a 3rd party outdoor box to put the RBS in which seem to be working for the user that mentioned this. @Mstrbig 

Message 8 of 16
pkgadd
Apprentice

As in FURRY38's referenced link, making a normal RBS50 'weather proof' is probably easier than finding a rugged device (weatherproofing the ethernet ports will always be a problem, while the military has solutions for that, they come with an according price tag) capable of client-bridge mode. Technically the wifi standards don't allow clients (STA) to be bridged, so basically extenders (not that you'd find that many weather proof ones among those either) would be 'impossible' devices, as IEEE 802.11 simply only defines a way to transport 3 MAC addresses, rather than the 4 required for bridging. Classic wireless extenders try to fool around this by clever proxying (in order to avoid routing and somehow still allow all devices to share the same broadcast domain), but this is fragile, buggy and generally doesn't work with IPv6 traffic at all. Mesh systems are more clever and reliable, as they don't need to speak pure IEEE 802.11 for their backhaul, but can rely on proprietary protocal extensions instead - this is generally much more reliable and stable (the orbi range is pretty good at this, it really is network transparent).

The other alternative would be laying fibre... (I'm saying fibre and not ethernet here, as it's no longer than much more expensive and avoids all the problems with lightning strikes, differences in voltage potentials and safety protocols, it's just two tiny glass strands in a plastic pipe, nothing conductive).

Message 9 of 16
NeedOrbiHelp
Aspirant

painful, but helpful!

Message 10 of 16
tucsontico
Virtuoso

I am using an EnGenius ENS202 to do exactly what you are describing. I put the EnGenius in a static IP mode then tell the ORBI to reserve that IP address for the EnGenius wireless bridge. There is only one ethernet connector on the EnGenius but that's all I needed. It sits about 75 feet away from the main Orbi router through a concrete/stucco wall and has enough signal strength to run my attached device on 2.4gHz. Has worked flawlessly for over 3 years in AZ heat and monsoonal weather.

Unfortunately, they discontinued that model but replacement models are available. Other companies make similar products. Good Luck!

Message 11 of 16
NeedOrbiHelp
Aspirant

Thanks, thats really helpful. Thats what I was originally looking for.  Now debating that (similar outdoor bridge as static IP) vs the previously mentioned housing on an RBS50. 

appreciate the lead on that though. 

Message 12 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

@NeedOrbiHelp wrote:

I have an RBR50 connected to 3 RBS50s and an RBS50Y on the way to sit outside and extend the network into the yard.  I need some sort of a wireless access point at the end of a driveway for a camera - wireless to ethernet.

Solution #1 would be to run an ethernet cable out to the camera location.  Outdoor rated CAT5e cable is not expensive.
(Alas, installing ethernet cable is neither quick nor cheap.)

Solution #2 is what I did: Purchase a WiFi security camera. "Problem solved."

(Alas, your security system may not support WiFi cameras. Dang.)

Sollution #3 is a gizmo that connects to the Orbi over WiFi and has an ethernet port for the camera..  A Netgear EX3700 is one such gizmo, as is the TP-Link N300.  The KEY to all this is that there is electrical power at the camera location (a) to power the camera and (b) to power the "WiFi to ethernet" gizmo that connects the camera.  My guess is the camera is already weatherproof, so the problem is making the gizmo and its electrical supply weatherproof.  Put it into a plastic enclosure and somehow weatherproof the electrical cord.

Message 13 of 16
NeedOrbiHelp
Aspirant

So I did what you all recomended - got the outside enclosure. it works great with an RBS50 (actually an RBR50 converted to RBS50). Which brings up the security thing : any way to prevent any other wired devices from coming off that singular sat? I've been searching in access control and I dont see an easy way to prevent wired connections from a singular satelite? Risk is low, and I have a padlock on the enclosure, but if there was an easy box, that'd take a smidgen of risk down for direct wired access into the network.

@FURRYe38 

Message 14 of 16
CrimpOn
Guru

@NeedOrbiHelp wrote:

Which brings up the security thing : any way to prevent any other wired devices from coming off that singular sat?network.

In a previous life, I used two types of "RJ45 Lock".  One sticks into the RJ45 jack and cannot be removed without a special key.  Several companies make them, including Panduit and NTW (see Amazon). Another model fits over an RJ45 plug and locks the patch cord into the RJ45 jack. These are really popular in school and library settings where visitors are not allowed to plug in their own devices.

Google "YouTube RJ45 Lock" for fun videos of several products.  The NTW package is $16 for 10 plugs and one key.

Message 15 of 16
olisa222
Aspirant

I may take into account seriously what you had said if Netgear might remark that Powerline Utility D 3.1.0.Four does now not guide positive old PLAs but they did not in any of their files supporting this application.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7