Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50/RBS50 shows unknown device in device list

idealguy
Tutor

RBR50/RBS50 shows unknown device in device list

I'm very happy with the Orbi system. We have six tv's with Amazon Fire Sticks, one Galaxy Tablet and two smart phones.  They appear correctly in the device list, when they're on.  What is listed occasionally is an Unknow Device, connection type 2.4GHz, Device Type is Linux PC also show IP address and MAC address and is connected to my Orbi Satellite.  I've paused it or blocked it.  Should I be worried beyond this point and how can I find out who's PC this is?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the IP modem the Orbi is connected too?

Do you have anything connected to the satelllite, wireless or wired? 

Message 2 of 9
idealguy
Tutor

Greetings and thanks for the reply.

Firmware is  v2.1.4.16 

Modem connected to Orbi RBR50  is   ZyXEL  FR1000Z.   Purchased from Century Link

Nothing is connected to the Satellite. 

Don't know how to log into the Satellite however I have visibility on smart phone of what's connected to the Orbi's.  Including "Ghost" unknown PC with Linux OS.  This device comes and goes.  I think I may have identified the neighbor who's the culprit.

Message 3 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Does your nieghbor have the wifi password for access?

Look at the ruoters web page under connected devcies, find the satellites IP address there, use this address in a web browser to log into the satellites web page.

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, LAN to LAN and configure AP mode on the Orbi router.  

Message 4 of 9
idealguy
Tutor

OK, the heat is off.  I found the culprit (Unkown device).  After I checked with the neighbors of course.  It was (is) an older Samsung Smart TV that is rarely used.  The Orbi of course picked it up and was showing it as unknown.  Problem solved, issue disappears.  Thanks very much for your assistance.

Message 5 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 9
mith_it
Luminary

In the future you might want to look up the MAC address. Take the first three pairs (say AD:01:A1) go online and use one of the free tools. They will tell you make and model. That helped me more than once to figure out who or what it was.
Message 7 of 9
idealguy
Tutor

Thanks much for the assistance.  Didn't know any of that.  However not sure about the "go online and use one of the free tools.  You lost me with that one.  Thanks again.

Message 8 of 9
FURRYe38
Guru

I believe he's saying that there are free tools online that you can use with identifying MAC addresses to Mfrs and devices.

@idealguy wrote:

Thanks much for the assistance.  Didn't know any of that.  However not sure about the "go online and use one of the free tools.  You lost me with that one.  Thanks again.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7