Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 Random Lag Spikes Throughout the day

kodas
Guide

RBR50 Random Lag Spikes Throughout the day

I dont know if this issue is related to my ISP or if its my Orbi router/satellite. I am connected through ethernet to my orbi router but this issue has been happening for as long as I can remember, a little over a year or so now? But basically my internet will randomly "freeze" for a solid 15-20 seconds where nothing will load, and all wifi related things wont load, but it never actually says I have no connection, they're just random lag spikes where everything returns to normal after those 20 seconds of nothing loading. Please help me find a fix to this.

Hardware version : RBR50

Firmware version : V2.3.5.30

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

What modem are you on?

Your firmware is out of date. the firmware the RBR50 is currently on is  2.5.1.16.  

Make sure the satellites are updated first before updating the router. You didn't put what version they're on but worth checking.

Also, is it all devices? Devices connected to satellites? wired devices too? or only wireless?

Message 2 of 11
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 3 of 11
kodas
Guide

Im using the modem my ISP gave me, Im hardwired with ethernet to my orbi router, I also dont know how to check what firmware version Im on for my satellite, im not finding it anywhere in the routerlogin page for my orbi router

Message 4 of 11
kodas
Guide

Im not connected wireless Im connected through ethernet to my router, and I disabled Daisy Chain but I dont know how to disable the other things you mentioned like Armor, Circle, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes.

Message 5 of 11
plemans
Guru

Message 6 of 11
plemans
Guru

Also, what modem did your isp give you? There should be a model # on it
Message 7 of 11
kodas
Guide

The model number is E31N2V1, my router and satellite are both on V2.3.5.30 and it says theres no update available.

Message 8 of 11
plemans
Guru

Its an old firmware version. you can manually update. See the link i posted prior.
Message 9 of 11
kodas
Guide

Okay im updating manually right now but its taking a very long time, I think I made a mistake by updating the router first instead of the satellite, should I cancel it or just let it go?

Message 10 of 11
kodas
Guide

I just refreshed the update page because it wasnt moving after 15 minutes and now it says my router and satellite are both on the newest version (2.5.1.16) so i guess it worked?

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7