Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RBR50 ReadySHARE USB Printer

hollang
Tutor

RBR50 ReadySHARE USB Printer

I have Orbi RBR50 with two satellites. From a wifi perspective it works great, but for the life of me I can't get a HP CP3252 Color Laser Jet printer to work over the USB port on the back of the satellite in my office.  The printer works fine if I put it's USB cable directlyl into my PC, but nothing happens when I put the cable into the Orbi's USB port.  I've downloaded and installed the ReadyShare print software, but it isn't working as described.  The installation goes without complaint, but when I select English Language on the initial screen and hit OK, it just goes away. I don't ever see any further screens and certainly not with anything that looks like a list of printers which the (limited & mostly inadequate) documentation seems to suggest should happen.  I'm running a new HP Omen Windows 10 64 bit PC. Any suggestions welcomeNetgear USB control Center Install.jpg

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
hollang
Tutor

Thanks again. In the interim, I uninstalled the driver and the ReadyShare software and reinstalled them and now it's working correctly. Guess some kind of conflict occurred. So, I thik I'll just stick with the USB connection as I don't use this color LJ very often.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

I would review this to see if anything helps here:

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/ReadySHARE_USB_Printer.aspx

Also your printer has a LAN port on the back. I might work better to connect the printer via LAN port to the Orbi and then install drivers on your PCs and direct the drivers to the IP address the printer gets from the router.

Message 2 of 8
hollang
Tutor

Thanks. I’d reviewed that information, downloaded & installed the app with no complaints but it’s not operating as described. I get the language prompt screen but nothing follows it. I would use an Ethernet port but I need them all. Maybe I can connect up an energy switch to get more ports. …? Thanks, though for your inputs.
Message 3 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible something wrong with the app. Maybe a forum moderator can help.

@Blanca_O

Yes you can add a external Gb network switch to the back fo the Orbi router for more ports. I have a 24port and several smaller switches behind my router. Non managed, non smart and non green eithernet is preferred. NG GS308 or D-Link DGS 108/105 or HP 1400 series works great. 

Message 4 of 8
hollang
Tutor

I assume I can use something slower than a Gb switch like a 100 Mb or even older 10 Mb device. Will try that next. Just have to find power adapters for my old switchs
Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Though it may work, 100 and 10Mb switches will bottle neck speeds on the LAN side. I highly recommend getting into the same 1000mb rated switch as the router. If you do have devices that are rated for the 10Mb or 100Mb rates, let the switch handle that. Keep same rates between router and switch for best performance and operation. 10mb switch are old and not readily available and they are not switches, they are hubs which all data and traffic is seen by any devices connected to the hub. Some older 100Mb were both Hubs and switches. 100Mb Switch are also not readily available while 1000mb switches are. Switches now days route traffic to the connected device on the LAN port which the device was routed to or from and not see by all other devices connected to the switch.

There inexpensive and available from places like Amazon. I bought several from there. 

Message 6 of 8
hollang
Tutor

Thanks again. In the interim, I uninstalled the driver and the ReadyShare software and reinstalled them and now it's working correctly. Guess some kind of conflict occurred. So, I thik I'll just stick with the USB connection as I don't use this color LJ very often.

Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 7 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements