Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 Router and Satellite Firmware 2.7.1.60

JGMUDI
Aspirant

RBR50 Router and Satellite Firmware 2.7.1.60

I have RBR50 Router and two satellites that I purchased some year ago. 

To day I have updated the firmware on my Router through ORBI app. And it shows as V2.5.2.4

I wonder why it did not update to the latest Firmware available which is 2.7.1.60 ?

In order to update the Router and Satellites manually by downloading the available firmware the user manual suggest  that  update Satellites first and then the Router.

But on the NETGEAR site I found only one Firmware that is RBR50(Router) Firmware VErsion 2.7.1.60(For US Region Only)

Does that mean it is the same firmware for both the routers and two satellites? or I should not update the satellites with this.

Is there a separate firmware for Satellites If so what is the latest version of the Firmware for Satellites?

Is there any Netgear support phone number that I can call and clarify?

Any clarification on this is highly appreciated.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Re: RBR50 Router and Satellite Firmware 2.7.1.60

@JGMUDI wrote:

You have posted your message in the section of this community given over to Nighthawk WiFi Routers. (This is easily done, given Netgear's impenetrable community structure.)

You might get more help, and find earlier questions and answers about your hardware, in the appropriate section for your device. That's probably here:

Orbi - NETGEAR Communities

Message 2 of 8
fiddlesticks
Initiate

Netgear has a system to roll out firmware updates to the Orbis, they won't all show the current firmware when you update via the app or web control panel. It doesn't work in a very predictable or useful way, IMO. So it's not surprising that your system didn't update to the just released version.

There is a separate product page for the router and the satellite. I do see 2.7.1.60 available for both the RBR50 and the RBK50 web pages.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBR50.aspx#download

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50.aspx#download

Personally, I tend to wait a little while before applying an update, to let others find the problems. Perhaps sooner if there is a real security risk addressed in the update.

Message 3 of 8
alokeprasad
Mentor

@JGMUDI wrote:

To day I have updated the firmware on my Router through ORBI app. And it shows as V2.5.2.4

I wonder why it did not update to the latest Firmware available which is 2.7.1.60 ?

Netgear has not uploaded/updated the firmware that it supplies to the servers when you check for firmware updates through the app or the web interface. 

Why? The answer my friend is blowin' in the wind. The answer is blowin' in the wind.

In order to update the Router and Satellites manually by downloading the available firmware the user manual suggest  that  update Satellites first and then the Router.

But on the NETGEAR site I found only one Firmware that is RBR50(Router) Firmware VErsion 2.7.1.60(For US Region Only)

That happens when you go to the downloads page (https://www.netgear.com/support/download/) and search for "RBK50v2"

Once you download the zip file, the release notes has the links to router (base) and satellite firmwares.  The firmwares are NOT the same. 

If you go to the same download page and search for "RBK50" you see separate listing for the router and satellite 2.7.1.60.

Yes, its nuts!

You can check the underside of your router to see which RBK50 you have.

Does that mean it is the same firmware for both the routers and two satellites? or I should not update the satellites with this.

Is there a separate firmware for Satellites If so what is the latest version of the Firmware for Satellites?

The router and satellite firmwares are different!!

Is there any Netgear support phone number that I can call and clarify?

Any clarification on this is highly appreciated.

Message 4 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@JGMUDI wrote:

There are several posts discussing this very question, and the short answer is, "nobody knows".  And, if Netgear has an explanation, they have not published it.  People have strong opinions on what the best approach is.  Some are eager to find a way to load the "latest" firmware. Others are happy to wait until the Firmware Update web page is ready to install it. And, some do not want to update firmware unless their Orbi is not working correctly. i.e. "If it aint broke, don't fix it."  The situation sucks.

@JGMUDI wrote:

Click on the link "Release Notes" and it will lead to a page showing two firmware downloads, one for the RBR50 (R for router) and one for the RBS50 (S for satellite).

As for contacting Netgear, the 90 days of "complimentary support" are long past. That's why most of us came to the community forums.

Message 5 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Also if you choose to update to v60, you'll see that v102 is most recent:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-Router-Firmware-Version-V2-7-2-102/m-p/2027821/high...

Good Luck. 

@fiddlesticks wrote:

Netgear has a system to roll out firmware updates to the Orbis, they won't all show the current firmware when you update via the app or web control panel. It doesn't work in a very predictable or useful way, IMO. So it's not surprising that your system didn't update to the just released version.

There is a separate product page for the router and the satellite. I do see 2.7.1.60 available for both the RBR50 and the RBK50 web pages.

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBR50.aspx#download

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/RBK50.aspx#download

Personally, I tend to wait a little while before applying an update, to let others find the problems. Perhaps sooner if there is a real security risk addressed in the update.

Message 6 of 8
JGMUDI
Aspirant

Thank you very much for the advice
Message 7 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors