Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 Router gets no where close to modem speed

msanand
Initiate

RBR50 Router gets no where close to modem speed

HI - I recently upgraded my Comcast connection to 600Mbps. Have my own Arris Surfboard SB6190 connected to the coaxial. I have my MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017) connected through a ethernet cable to my RBR50 router. When I run a speed test using speedtest.net I seem to get results between 80-95mbps down, 20-23 up. When I directly connect my macbook to the modem I see anywhere between 180-250mbps down and 20 up. Now I know these are no where close to the 600Mbps down that I am paying for. I called Comcast and they do not see any issues on their end. 

Does anyone know why I'm seeing the bandwidth drop so significantly between my modem and router? I know I have to see where I am loosing bandwidth coming into my modem as well but I want to see what I can tweak on the Orbi to get the max out of it in the first place. 

Thanks!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router, RBS40|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: RBR50 Router gets no where close to modem speed

"When I directly connect my macbook to the modem I see anywhere between 180-250mbps down and 20 up. Now I know these are no where close to the 600Mbps down that I am paying for." If your testing at the modem and your still not seeing anything near 600Mbps, I would try with a different Mac or PC. Be sure to use Ooklas speed test app vs a browser. Seen inaccurate speeds results in different broswers. 

Also be aware of known problems with you modem model#:

http://www.badmodems.com

I would ensure your getting to specs speeds with at the modem first on wired before checking the speed on the RBR when it's connected.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-is-not-supporting-900Mb-on-the-WAN-to-LAN-test/m-p/...

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7