Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RBR50 Router is a piece of junk

jfmullig
Aspirant

RBR50 Router is a piece of junk

My RBR50 Wireless speeds are ridiculously slow.  I regret spending over $500 to buy system w. an extra satellite.

I've gone so far as to factory reset and wireless speeds are slow as ever.

Wired is at my isp's advertised speeds.  

FW has been updated, tried multiple configurations as recommended in other feeds but no success......

if anyone knows the fix, please respond!

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 8

Re: RBR50 Router is a piece of junk

@jfmullig wrote:

My RBR50 Wireless speeds are ridiculously slow.

How are you determining this?

It might help if you told people what the modem is in front of this router. The model number could be useful. Is it, by any chance, also a router, with a set of LAN ports on the back?

The reason for asking is that a lot of people turn up here trying to put a router behind a modem that is also a router.

Having two routers on a network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Circle, Armor, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@jfmullig wrote:

My RBR50 Wireless speeds are ridiculously slow.  I regret spending over $500 to buy system w. an extra satellite.

FW has been updated, tried multiple configurations as recommended in other feeds but no success......

Message 3 of 8
jfmullig
Aspirant

I've tried everything you listed with no improvement in speed.

The one thing I couldn't select was the 20/40mhz selection to 40mhz.  there seems to only be an on off toggle?

My house is 3500 sq feet.  I am sitting about 10 feet from the main router.  I have an modem only modem, its an arris modem.

Thanks

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

When you remove the check mark for20/40Mhz, this sets it to 40Mhz only. 

WHat devices are you using to speed test?

What are you ISP speeds you pay for UP and Down? 

What channels are you using?

Message 5 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@jfmullig wrote:

My RBR50 Wireless speeds are ridiculously slow. 

How is the wireless speed being measured?

The one area where I find the Orbi "app" superior to the web interface is that it clearly indicates the "link rate" between devices and the Orbi WiFi.

For example, it says my Sony Xperia phone has a link rate of 866mb.  (I am connected at 5G, and that's as "high as it gets".)  When I run the SpeedTest Android app on the phone, it shows a download speed of 116mb, which is pretty good considering Spectrum promises me "starting at" 100mb.

Message 6 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@jfmullig wrote:

what was your previous/old router?

Message 7 of 8

@Retired_Member wrote:

@jfmullig wrote:

what was your previous/old router?

We still don't know what the modem is either.

Saying that it is "an arris modem" is less than definitive. Arris make several.

More than one person has got it wrong when working out what their modem is capable of. Some "modem only" devices – Netgear's DM200 for example – also have limited, and hidden, "routering" function.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7